It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Why do you feel the need to worship a god, or religion? Is there really a point besides to waste your time? No, there isn't. Do you have any idea that religion is one of the easiest ways to control a large volume of people. Well it is. They can tell you that it's ok, and that it's wrong to do something and most of the sheeps will listen to it. Please think about this, and don't just listen because you feel that you should.

Jim

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
You are neglecting to note the good sides of religion.

To this day it still generates a lot of charity and community involvment even if under an agenda.

Also religion played a huge role in human civilization by creating unity, community, explination of why, goals, laws, morals, and purpose.

Just for reference, i'm an athiest. And while i think religion does have all the down sides you state (and that it is becoming outdated) it does and did have many upsides too.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
While I agree, just remember how many have died in the name of religion. I think that it's downsides, far supercede it's positive sides.

J.

ET3

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
All true, so get through it, get over it, but at least get on with it and stop flogging this dead dog.

When you can�t find something original, post the typical religion hate stuff and it will always draw people like flies to dung.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
unfortunately the reason many follow religion is because there they are ultimately very scared people deep down. i mean they have these ideas of a wrathfull god and hellfire and brimstone hammered into thier minds when they are extremely young and extremely impressionable. as a result they grow up with the fear of questioning thier beliefs no matter how ridiculous, the fear of questioning authority no matter how corrupt, as well as the fear to think for themselves and create thier own destiny. just one of the many examples of the real life matrix we are all living in.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well look at the muslims.
Theres alot of good muslims, but then theres the brain washed ones.
There ultimate goal in life is to kill, it seems like, because of the control religion has on them.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Milton
Why do you feel the need to worship a god, or religion? Is there really a point besides to waste your time? No, there isn't. Do you have any idea that religion is one of the easiest ways to control a large volume of people. Well it is. They can tell you that it's ok, and that it's wrong to do something and most of the sheeps will listen to it. Please think about this, and don't just listen because you feel that you should.

Jim

I don't. I don't believe or follow any particular religion. My religion is my own, one created by me, using doctrines and morals that relate to me and my own personal beliefs, some of which is influenced by a variety of religions.

Organized religion is full of crap. There was once a pure message that all religions try to preach, however man has corrupted all religions now to suit his own need. call me kooky but that's why I made my own nameless religion that I follow. anyone one want to join my cult, it's only me in it so far
just kidding.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Why religion? It is because the human race are basicly herd animals that feel the need to belong to something. It's a club where individuals of the same mindset reinforce the value of one another. Religion and god is basicly the desire for an extream father figure to watch out for us and allow themselves to feel that they are somehow better then those outside of the religion.

It is also used to avoid responcibility of the self. It is god's will that things should happen in such and such a way. It is the illusion that things are out of ones control because if we believe that they are not then we have to take responcibility for everything. It is easier to follow rules mindlessly for the sake of tradition, then to actually question their validity. I get a good laugh when someone's retort to a question is "Because the bible says so!" To base your existence, morals and values on someone elses ideas does not make you your own individual person, but merely an extension of someone else.

This was not ment to offend anyone; it is just my honest opinion. Make of it what you will.

new topics

top topics

join