It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying with pets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I was hoping to hear from anybody here who has ever had to fly a pet somewhere when moving house or such.
I will be moving my babygirl (cat) with us when we leave here and it's going to be a bit of a long journey.

I have been reading articles online on this and am still just stressing a bit. I worry she will be very unhappy being alone and in such an atmosphere for such a time and then i worry about her needing to do her business ?
Is her carrier big enough ?

Things like that.

So far I have bought her a harness and leash (for transporting her through customs and ensuring she is more manageable should they open her carrier)

I read that a thick fluffy towel will be sufficient on the floor of the carrier for her 'business' (but ewww, really ? - should I maybe put a diaper on her ? Am I being a geek ? lol)

I know not to feed her 6-8 hrs prior to travel and to carry water with me for her. I also keep Rescue Remedy on hand so will be sure to put some in her water.

What am I forgetting ? Is there anything more I can do for her to try make her journey smoother ?
Anybody had to do this before ?

Any tips/advice and stories are welcome.

- Stresshead Jaded

P.S we will be flying via an AMC military flight and am hoping to be able to keep her in the cabin with us. Anyone know if this is something we can do ?

I am making a note of this to ask if this is possible - So glad I posted this now, helps me think of things like this

[edit on 2-10-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
heya jadded
i am not familiar with transporting a little cat in an airplane and such a long distance.

once we thought to move to the other side of our country which would have "just" ment a travel distance of 9 hours via car. same problem with the cat.
the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals recomended diapers for the cat - but just to be put into the transporting box.

are you able to have access to her all the time?

to prepare her for the change you can start with bach flowers
walnut is very useful when changes are around the corner

tell me how it works and how she managed the trip

good luck jadden!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

Call the military AMC terminal for questions. They are pretty strict on rules and such. From what I remember they have to be in the cargo hold during the trip.

Please call your vet too. (S)he might be able to give something to relax your kitty.

I got my dog when I lived in Europe. She has made five trans-Atlantic flights. They were all military. She came through like a champ each time.

Good Luck

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies

My husband is calling the terminal today so hopefully we get an answer on how she will have to travel, I am really hoping she can come on board with us as I have been reading that most 'incidents', even deaths of cats happen in the cargo hold and I am beside myself with this thought

I know how strict the military can be with pets and travel - can't even take your pet on the shuttle to the airport in a secure carrier - what's that about ?

Sedation is not advised by most vets from what I have read on their sites but the Army vet will be able to advise if she may need to be, she is quite an aggressive/nervous lil thing at times.

I will not be here for her visit to the vet a few days before we fly out but a good friend of mine is taking her so I will be sure she is armed with everything to ask.

Thank you again for your replies

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
An AMC flight can be anything from you sitting in a nice comfy seat on a 747, to you sitting in the back of a cargo plane with a goat and chickens walking around.

Definitely try to find out what you'll be traveling on and any restrictions regarding animals.
If you're going "Space A" you may not know what you'll be on until you get to the tarmac.

Whatever the conditions you'll be traveling, try to keep the cat with you.
A small soft sided carrier can be slid under a seat for take off and landing, but the cat can be on your lap during the flight.

When a cat has to go to the bathroom in a carrier they usually back towards a corner and go there. Have an extra towel in your carry-on so you can change it if needed, and the first towel should be one you won't worry about if you throw it away. It could have urine, feces, or vomit on it, and you don't want to worry about an old towel when everything else is going on.

Have the carrier around for a week or more before the move so the cat is familiar with it. Sprinkle some catnip in it and only give the kitty treats inside the carrier for a while so the animal associates positive things with it.

A hungry cat travels better as long as it's well hydrated, and a pocket full of kibble that can be given occasionally will keep it fine until you get to your destination.

My ferret had as many frequent flier miles as me when I had to travel several times a week and I never had a problem with just tucking him in my shirt. The crews that knew me well would even bring some apple or melon to me just to feed the ferret.

I've traveled with animals in cars, on trains, by plane, and on ships. The biggest problem I had was the worry I went through before a trip.
The animals always did fine.

Good luck, don't worry, but be prepared.

EDIT:

IMPORTANT !!!
Have a copy of all vet certificates, such as shots, recent exams, a picture of the cat, etc...
and carry that with you like you carry your own ID and passport.

One More Edit........

Check with your destination concerning importing an animal.

What documentation do you need ?
Are there quarantine rules before or after travel ?
Is there any restrictions concerning the type of animal you're transporting ?
Will any specific inoculations be required before importing the animal to the destination ?

Ask all the questions before that dude at the Customs counter starts asking you questions upon arrival. Base to base on an AMC is usually easier, but you still need to know the rules of where you're going to avoid any problems.

Just some of my thoughts, hope it helps.

[edit on 3/10/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
i think they will just toss her in the luggage compart and run around for a while until the plane lands.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Mosquito Man
i think they will just toss her in the luggage compart and run around for a while until the plane lands.

That was helpful input. :shk:
But I doubt she'll be flying Adria Airways. They keep cats in the hold just to herd the mice off their planes........

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by Missing Mosquito Man

That was helpful input. :shk:
But I doubt she'll be flying Adria Airways. They keep cats in the hold just to herd the mice off their planes........

cram her in a suitcase or something. havent you ever seen that movie the munster the new one with lilly tomlin. they have some dragon they put in carry on or something. but as long as they claim it then it is cool.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I know this is VERY late in coming but I wanted to say a huge thank you to AD and orange-light, I did read your replies before I left but had no time to reply and am just now getting back up online here in lovely Sicily

My baby did SO well on the flights I was so very proud of her for being such a trouper. She was a little nervous but was curious the whole way, she preferred seeing what was going on than me covering up her carrier to protect her lol

Didn't eat or drink a thing (and no business to report of thankfully lol) but she was fine with the plane, taking off and landing, she slept alot and was her old self once we got to our destination and the vet gave her the all clear

Thanks again guys!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I flew a Parrot quite a long distance once.

We had to stop quite often so he could rest and to adjust the saddle though.

Seriously...could you find a local transport company going to/through your destination with a friendly driver who'd be willing to help. At least your cat would have some scenery to view and someone to look after it on the journey.

Good luck

[edit on 16/3/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

lmao!

We have been on the journey and made it to our destination happily and safely

thanks nerbot!

top topics

join