It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not give every American a million dollars??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Disperse the $700 000 000 000 to the citizens and in due time all that money will be flowing back in the economy because...that's how the economy works.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
reply to post by zysin5

10k wouldn't do jack for someone with massive credit card debt, car payments due, and a bad mortgage. And those are the people that I worry about. They are our family and friends that are suffering.

My older sister is in those shoes right now.. She is so far into debt that she will never get out! However as much as it pains me to say this.. She is a snob. And she lives the high life, and thinks of me as a lowlife because I dont have tons of stuff.. Well I didnt get in credit card debt, I live within my means. I was smart about my money, and I did what I did right.
I wasnt a snob.. Nor did I look down on people with less.

So many people just couldnt eat a TV dinner.. No they had to go out to have steak dinners, and be the BIG man or girl on campus!
They went far beyond their means, and now they must pay the price of their actions.

Thus she has to go bankrupt! Shes going to lose it all.. And you know what.. Me the loser, is helping her out right now.
The person who she looked down on all this time is giving her money.

This comes down to the age old, grasshopper and the ant.

To many grosshoppers and not enough ants in this country, and they put themselfs in this mess..

Thus I suggest those with the high debts, go bankrupt.. Keep paying taxes and prehaps they can bail us out for once..
But those guys up there know.. Most of us did this to ourselfs.
They wont bail us out for our foolish actions.

Yet we turn around and bail them out for their foolish actions..

Here are some thoughts by me and Mikesignh.

Zysin5

I think anyone who has payed in atleast 10k a year in taxes should get that money back! Just 10,000$ dollars to help with the pain! Thats not asking for much back, when they expect each of us who work our jobs to pay them, and bail them out.

Mikesingh

$700 billion! To bail out erring FIs and their CEOs? From the tax dollars ordinary Americans are paying? That’s obscene, to say the least! Thank God, good sense has prevailed and it's fallen through.

If the treasury could cough up the $700 billion to bail out the very institutions that have grounded the economy by greed and rampant corruption, why couldn’t it have spent this amount on:

* Infrastructure,
* Health care,
* Stabilizing green house gasses,
* Education?

And let’s not forget the almost $1,000,000,000,000 spent on the war in Iraq for its oil!

I belive we can think of something.. But people are going to have to come down from cloud nine, and eat a TV dinner or two.
Eat some roman noodles.. And become "losers" like me..

When I know deep down IM not a loser, I just dont have that much..
But then again I have ZERO debt!
Im just flat broke.
And I mean it.. I have 5$ in my bank right now.
But my bills are paided.. And I have a truck.. Hmmmm

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The real problem is, that if every american is given ANY amount of money, then it doesn't help anyone. All it does is set the bar higher and resets the bottom rung. If I get a million dollars and every person in my city gets a million, then exactly how am I helped? Know what I mean?

The economy is relative. We need rich people.. We need poor people. The problem is we need to give the middle a little more power.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What is the purpose of this thread? Isn't it the same as "what if I won a lottery"?

Moreover, the original poster of that idea does not grasp economics to be "what-iffing".

There are so many questions to be raised in all of this, such as, where will the money come from in the first place? Did the original poster think of inflation this would cause? I suspect the answer is no, and the reason the answer is no is because these questions didn't even cross the poster's mind.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What will really help every person is to learn about surviving if the entire economic wheel stops spinning all together...things like learning how to hunt, fish, make your own energy, your own clothing, shelter, purifying drinking water, storing supplies, and of all those, learning how to teach others how to do that too so there wont be numbnutz running around trying to steal yours.

"Give a hungry individual a meal they eat for a day, TEACH them how, and you feed them for life"

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

if you give 250,000 dollars to anyone earning under 250 K a year. i'm pretty sure you'd do what you're speaking of.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It would be great if we could a receive 1 mil. But that would not solve the problem.Neither will the 700 Bil. they just passed on the bail out. I think this should have been really looked at and let the people vote on the final decision.It is our money they are spending, I don't agree with bailing out companies that have failed or are failing while the execs are still making millions.I say let them make it on their own. Its the working class americans that really needs help and fast. People are losing their homes daily and no rescue is in site. Its time for the american people to take their world back. We have been taken advantage of by politicians that make promises and never keep any of them. Just like this time, Vote Mccain and have 4 more years of Bush or vote Obama and pay more taxes.We must do something soon or the crooks will get richer and we will pay the tab.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow...

giving a significant amount of money to everyone in the united states would cause huge inflation... Probably enough to call it Epic.

That sort of inflation would not help anyone at all... demand for goods would go through the roof as people spend crazy money on luxury items. then when the money was gone, the retail industry would crash faster than you could imagine.

I'm guessing it would be a good way to spur off a huge economic crisis as the American dollar would be even more worthless...

Remember, the Fed fabricates the money out of nowhere. the more that is available, the less its worth.

I don't like hearing these sort of theories about bailing people out like this. there was an email circulating a while back that stated similar ideas.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Your post deserves a thread of its own!

Anyway......If every American was given a million dollars...who would make my favorite fast food burger, and how much would they recieve as an hourly wage, and how much would the burger cost?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

"I am afraid that if every American was given 1 million dollars, the greedy people would raise prices on their goods just because they know that we could then pay more.

A bag of potato chips would cost, lets say, $50. A Baby Ruth candy bar, $29.99. A hair cut at Tom's Barber Shop, $100. They'd come up with some reason to raise gas prices again. Who knows? Maybe $10 a gallon. A plummer might not step inside your house for less than $500.

The greedy would just try to take even more of our money then."

The American Financial System depends on hundreds upon thousands of Americans to remain in the working poor class in order to help keep the cost of goods down so the middle class on up can get more for their money and enjoy life to the fullest.

The Federal Minimum Wage is set at a certain level, 6.55 currently, to ensure continued working class poverty to benefit the middle class and above live lives of comfort and luxury.

Notice when the Federal Minimum Wage was raised to 5.85 back in July of 2007 and then again increased to 6.55 in July of this year, the price of food was quickly going up as well. For instance, a gallon of milk in May 2007 was at approximately 3.259, and in May 2008 it was up to 3.760 giving a percent change of 15.37%. All food/goods and services went up. Regrettably for most of the working poor, it feels as if the minimum wage is currently back to 5.15 an hour because the Federal Minimum Wage is not adjusted to inflation or protected from those greedy people who raise prices on their goods and services just because they know that people will be able to pay more now because the working poor finally got a well deserved raise.

(Figures from www.cattlenetwork.com... )

Those who live well off of the working poor are really nothing more than thoughtless little scumbags who suck the life blood out of their fellow countrymen because the middle class know they are only a hop, skip and a jump away from being in the poor house right along with the working poor and they know it. We have some working poor thinking they're middle class just because they have things/material objects but they don't own a damn thing, it's all on credit! They're like, I'm not a working poor person, and it's like, yes dumb ass, you are, the bank owns all your crap - you have been fooled into thinking you are middle class for the sake of playing with your ego so you will buy more which leads one into becoming indebt more! Now the rich are the most cunning - they are the life bloodsuckers of the middle class - hence, the rich banks feeding off the middle class enticing them with fine and fancy homes they can't afford and now there's this huge financial melt down.

All these greedy little bastards are getting everything they deserve with this financial crisis. These little cry babies are so damn soft they couldn't handle one day sleeping in their car without shooting themselves in the head and taking their family with them.

Us working poor have nothing to fear and we can handle this crisis because we have nothing to lose because we don't have much of anything in the first place.

I hope that our next President comes up with a brand new financial system that benefits all of us working Americans equally for our hard work.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Look it's pretty simple. If you gave everyone a million dollars no one would work. If it were me, I'd split it into four 250,000 USD lump sums and place them into four banks that haven't failed up to this point and live off the interest. I'm willing to bet that's what most Americans would try to do. The solution to this problem is to get rid of the Federal Reserve. The only problem is, The Federal Reserve is our ally to the World Trade System. So if we get rid of the Federal Reserve, we're out of the loop with foreign trade because then any money we make ourselves would have no value. This is precisely the reason why our government turned to the Federal Reserve in 1913 to begin with. The last person that tried to get rid of the Fed Reserve, namely, John F. Kennedy, got assassinated. I admire Ron Paul's courage to promote his campaign around attempting to repair our economy through the abolishment of the Federal Reserve System, but after what happened to Kennedy, I'm certain that no one wants another President with a bullet in his head, that is, unless its Bush.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
To answer the original question...
because everyone will do with it as they see fit.

The people that live for the day will probably spend all of it.
In the process they will develop certain vices, dependencies and bad habits they won't be able to break.

Others that live and save for tomorrow will invest their MegaBuck only to be told later that they need to distribute their wealth.
The first group will then ask "why do you have more than me?"

Then we would be back at square one.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

That sounds a lot like how things work today
No but seriously, I can agree that some Americans are irresponsible.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

And in the end, we all pay for their irresponsibility.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think I said it at least 5 times in this thread that it was just an idea. Did you read any of it? If so, then whats with the confusion? I just agreed with you and said that it seems like what is going on now in the US.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

Some body will always work .Seriously a million is hardly enough to retire on ,but look at billionaires all they do is work ,they never stop trying to make even more money . Sometimes just from what I can observe of their constant money grubbing I sometimes think ,oh for crying out loud stop a minute you're already filthy rich !

I guess it's like a twilight zone episode morality tale ,you have all the money in the world but you can't enjoy it! They don't even want money ,it's an addiction , like all addicts they don't care who they hurt or who they destroy to maintain their habit

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

First learn how to do MATH!!!! before you post your comments

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join