It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a problem

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Lack of discipline =the fall of the world.

It surprises me to look back and see how differently my parents disciplined me, and my sister, who is significantly younger and still living under their rule. She has different, and in some cases easier rules applied to her; in some cases better, in some worse.

I am not slacking on the discipline with my kids... though I have found that the consistancy in disipline, rather than the discipline itself, is what really matters.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by asmeone2]

Consistency is the KEY...you are right. Also consistency in morals is the KEY as well. I remember getting my tail whipped by my buddies dad when I shot his T.V. with a BB gun...accidentally of course. Then my dad whipped me for doing this at someones house...actually my buddy shot me first, and I shot back, hitting the T.V.

My father did not get mad at his father, he told him to do what he feels he needs to at his house! That doesn't happen today with most folks...except with my children. Aunts, uncles, grandma, etc. all have our permission to punish the children accordingly while they are at their homes. Maybe that is a southern thing...don't know.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
What is the purpose of discipline, it is to control, why do you want to brainwash your children such that they are then programmed to do as they are told rather than challenge things?

You assume that because you believe something is right/wrong it has to be correct so you inflict this into your children through discipline, they then refuse to challenge things because of fear of retribution.

Another sheep joins the flocks.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
[i think the point of discipline is to teach people right from wrong, if you were never told that anything you did was wrong, then how would you know not to do it?? you'd be walking around going "oh, nobody wants to speak to me, i dont understand ive no friends and i havnt got a job", just because you didnt know that it was wrong to be disrespectfull to people.
sometimes people on here should put thier brains into gear before making daft comments!!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is my first post on this site as I have been lurking and reading for a few days. I have been struggling for the last few years on how to discipline my son. My parents brought me up that when I did something wrong my dad got the belt out. Did this type of discipline change me or make me a violent monster? No, my parents where very loving and caring and always communicated with me and where very involved in my life but chose to use this form of discipline. Now my mother tells me not to spank my son because it is wrong and that I need to give him choices and consequences.

People that say that spankings don't work and that they only teach the children that violence is the answer to their issues. Well I can see that being true but I turned out fine and find that I can reason without violence or threats as an adult. (by the way I made straight As in school even while being spanked) _javascript:icon('
') This doesn't mean that I think that spanking your child is that answer but it is one form of discipline.

Here is my rant, when done right I think that both ways can be very effective and work. The same way that each person learns differently and is unique means that different children will respond to different forms of punishment. You have to find what fits your child and just be consistent with it but with the way families are right now consistency is lacking in most all aspects not just discipline.

This whole situation is a product of the change in society and fast pace that we currently live our lives. How many families still sit down at the dinner table together and if you do is there any communication going on or just eating? No communication = no family I have learned this very quickly with my wife and two children. The problem is like many said that both parents work and the time and energy to devote to your kids and family is just not there for a lot of people.

America does need change and it starts with each one of us and our families. Good luck everyone.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Some fantastic comments and real life stories here.

It's things like this that just go to show our Hummanity,, compassion, care and understanding...

Makes you wonder who pushes all the buttons to make everything such a blasted mess...

and why?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
A bump just for those who've not seen this before.. It's been a while since this was seen, so why not give it a nudge..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
A bump just for those who've not seen this before.. It's been a while since this was seen, so why not give it a nudge..

Are you the person that actually wrote that or did you just steal it from here :????

www.medkb.com...

This was published in 2005...your thread in 2008

Im not a mod....but you should follow the rules and give credit where its due.

If you didnt write that, then you should have made it clear. I see lots of people who put a lot of effort into threads and get half as many stars and flags as you have (on the back of someone elses words possibly).

edit on 12-7-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Thank you for highlighting the missing link..
I immediately contacted a mod this morning but it took a while to get a response, but there is now an edit made to fix the error

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join