It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a problem

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

agaperecoverycenter.org...

www.medkb.com...

sci.tech-archive.net...

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young:
I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best
effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than coc aine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

edit on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:07:11 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: Mod Note: added ex tags and a few outside sources that also posted this piece that is credited to an UNKNOWN AUTHOR.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Awesome post. S&F. I loved this.

But the part about getting our mouths washed out with soap brought back some terrible memories.

My mother washed out my mouth with soap on several occasions.

'Soap *choke* poison.' -A Christmas Story.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You have hit it on the head! I have been saying for years that the fall of Western Civilization will be that we no longer punish our children. It teaches them that there are consequences to their actions, something that is becoming very evident in society today. It's really simple physics, 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction'. This whole 'reason with the child' mentality is pure BS! You cannot reason with a 5 year old. Besides that, once you become an adult, the world does not 'reason' with you! Great thread! Star and Flag!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
S&F'ed

Wow..I work in a High School. It really surprises me that so many kids today are never told "No" and expect something for things that they should do.

Jaxon is 100% correct. We don't teach cause and effect anymore. Kids don't know about consequences.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Awesome Awesome thread man. The problem with today is many parents either A. don't care or B. don't know how to care. That is why they fail to teach their kids right from wrong. They don't take an active part in their childrens lives anymore. I guess that is part of the times though, with everyone too busy working to get by these days.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Lack of discipline =the fall of the world.

It surprises me to look back and see how differently my parents disciplined me, and my sister, who is significantly younger and still living under their rule. She has different, and in some cases easier rules applied to her; in some cases better, in some worse.

I am not slacking on the discipline with my kids... though I have found that the consistancy in disipline, rather than the discipline itself, is what really matters.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Star and flagged, And if others dont like it, then we will take you round the vitrual woodshed.

The 50's where the best time to live apparently.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing truth. Amen to that. Honestly.

When I was younger, I was beat senseless by my Mother if I did a single thing wrong in the kitchen and sent to my room for hours if I said something or complained about something that I shouldn't. Father never laid a hand on me - yet I still use my manners. I do use profanity but only in the company of those I know won't mind and I don't use it excessively - whats the point when you have words that speak the feelings for you instead of gaining unneccesary attention.

I grew up and still am I guess you can say, with students and friends whom yelled at their parents all the time, and the worst they ever received in concequence was a either A. Don't yell at me like that. or B. Hand me that cell phone.
[uh wrongo. lol.]

Great thread.
Wish we had more people like this in the world.

-cheers
Cm.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Throw some religious fervor and maybe a few beers Mom or Dad knocked back before the big game and you'll really have some ye-old punishing fun in the old tool shed, eh? Can't forget the dog either, when it scratches it's behind on the carpet, just beat it to submission and it; eventually after consecutive beatings will obey too. A really great way to raise a perfect individual, eh?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I agree with what all of ya'll are sayin...

Of course this problem arose due to the rise of the 2 income homes followed by equal rise in the cost of living... Parents aren't around to disipline, and when they are they're to worn out to do anything about it.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Hmm... I agree with you all as well. One thing I don't see mentioned:

The Department of Human Services. Divorce. Child Support Enforcement. These things contribute to a lack of discipline in a very big way. When a family is destroyed, lives are lost. Kids grow up without a stable system. They deeply need both parents. But the groups I just mentioned are a multi-billion dollar industry and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

And now, the generations are passing on. The generations that taught discipline are passing away. Their kids are raising their own. They didn't maintain the structure taught to them, and that too.. will pass down.

Apathy effects all. Parents are distracted, destroyed, and overwhelmed. Or just plain cut out of the child's life.

It all goes back to the main topic of so many threads...

WE NEED CHANGE IN AMERICA!

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Im very thankful for the way my parents raised me.

If i cursed, i would get liquid soap in the mouth
If i talked back to my dad or mom, i would have to stand in place at attention for hours
When i stayed out all night in high school i was grounded for 2 months
When i had a girlfriend acidently fall asleep in my bed one night, i was grounded for a month
When i got cought with some ganja, i was grounded for 2 months.
I was taught how to use my silverware properly
I was taought manners, but not spelling...
I was tought a work ethic
Tuaght that if i wanted something done, to do it myself...

I know i mispelled that word 4 diffrent ways, but i dont know which is correct... in fact, i am reasonably sure i didnt even spell the word correct...

Back in highschool, i thought that my parents were terribly mean... Looking back, they probaly werent mean enough.

None of my friends had parents like me.
I have had parents of friends:
Give us alchohal
Give us drugs
Party it up with the kids
And even engage in sex with minors...

Im glad that my parents are not like my friends parents...
Even though, in high school, i hated my parents, and i thought my friends parents were the best...

The thing you said about younger siblings being treated easier...

Its so true...

My older brother had it worse then me... one night, our family was out of state, and we had to make an all night drive back home drove 20 hours, and got home a couple days early, to find my older brother throwing a massive party.
My dads punishment to him, to cut the entire lawn with scisors. Yea...

Now, i have 2 younger sisters, and they never receved any punishment what so ever, they are both incredibly spoiled, irritating, defensive/bitchy, and cannot ever admit that they are wroung.

My younger brother faced the same very harsh punishment i did... one punishment that he went thru that i didnt is one time, he put alot of ketchup on his plate, and my dad said if he didnt use it all, then he would make my bro eat it with a spooon. He didn't finnish it all, and he made him eat it with a spoon.

My parents alos had very strict rules.
No TV after 8 PM
No phone calls after 8 PM
And, we didnt have cell phones, but the did give us beepers one year...
No friends coming over on the weekdays
Weekend curfew was 12 pm for the boys, 11pm for the girls

And, in addition to the normal chores, each kid had dish duty on one week day night.

My family had a sit down dinner at the table every night.

I have never considered my self a clean person... but, now i live with 3 other dudes, and im by far the cleanest of them all...

And, my dad always called me the laziest, messiest, person on the face of the planet...

In short, we did our parents to be PARENTS to thier kids, not to be thier buddy.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I was raised according to the good old, tried and true methods (i.e., Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child) and have endeavored to raise my own in a like manner. I live in a country that has only fairly recently come onto the international scene with a bit of cash but I'm American and from the South. You Southerners our there know what that means. I did addressed all adults as Mrs, Mr, Miss and even my own dear grandparents were Grandmother/father (+surname) and so forth.

The difference in the kids now is just shocking. They don't give you a seat in the bus. They knock you over and never even look back. They act as though the world is here for their benefit.

My kids, on the other hand, are pretty good folk if I do say so myself. They open doors for elderly neighbors and offer to take their rubbish to the bins. They give seats in public transit to older, feeble, pregnant or distressed travelers. They are so outstandingly different that the guidance counselor at their high school called me after meeting my second child while she was waiting for her brother to finish his classes. They spoke for a while and the woman called me the next day. She asked how we liked their school and are the kids happy and blah blah blah. Then she asked if we had planned for our third child to attend. I said that yes, that was the plan and she was most pleased. I was a bit puzzled through all of this but she finished by saying that she has never, in her 18 year career seen such well-spoken, well-mannered and well-behaved children and that it was an opportunity she didn't want to miss. Well, well. It's against the law to discipline your kids even with a slap on the bum or any other corporal punishment. My kids grandparents here took a serious dislike to me when I slapped our son's hand - not hard, just enough to get his attention! I love my kids. I don't want to hurt them but I'll be damned if they're going to behave like monsters. I brought those kids into the world. I'm responsible for how they turn out (to an extent) and I'll be damned if I'm going to let us and the rest of the world suffer because some lame authorities in some lame office sit around producing lame public policy.

It's time to take our lives back. We know they are wrong. Why do we obey them?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A post about a good "drug". Brilliant. Also an addicting drug.

Yesterday I drug myself to a job I hate, even though I didn't want to go. I use it no less than five times a week. And unlike pot, this one cures the munchies. Also starvation!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus

Star and flagged, And if others dont like it, then we will take you round the vitrual woodshed.

The 50's where the best time to live apparently.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by monkeybus]

Calling you out, you're going to have to bring me to the virtual woodshed.

You say the 50's were the best time to live. Let's see, I think I know of someone who grew up in the 50's.... You may have heard of George W. Bush, born 1946? Let's assume that his parents "brought him out to the woodshed", which I'm going to assume means that when he misbehaved, his parents hit him. Which you approve of, I take it.

Let me jump for a moment. Jaxon, you said

You cannot reason with a 5 year old. Besides that, once you become an adult, the world does not 'reason' with you! Great thread! Star and Flag!

The reason, I propose, that the world does not 'reason' with you, is that the world is run by people who were taught that physical force is the only real way to deal with problems. Why is it ridiculous to attempt to explain to a child what they do is wrong? Is beating them with reckless abandon going to show them WHY what they did was wrong? No, it's just going to inform them that, wow, someone didn't like what I did, so I got hit. When people don't do what I like, I'll hit them. Beautiful world that makes for. Which brings me back to GWB. And his penchant for torture, unilateral application of force, and disregard for legislative process. Or 'reasoning'. I'm not saying that GWB was beaten, because I can't possibly prove that. When Democrats were elected to Congress in 2006, he did say we "gave his party a thumpin'", though.

This is tangential to my point, however, and I need to get back to work, so I'll just cut right to it.

Reasoning with a child is not ridiculous. It teaches them to reason with people, and it teaches them that violence is an inappropriate way to answer problems in the adult world. If you want the real reasons the world is going to hell, take a look at overpopulation, the misdistribution of resources, and reckless corporate profiteering. Not at how much kids get hit.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eviant
You say the 50's were the best time to live. Let's see, I think I know of someone who grew up in the 50's.... You may have heard of George W. Bush, born 1946? Let's assume that his parents "brought him out to the woodshed", which I'm going to assume means that when he misbehaved, his parents hit him. Which you approve of, I take it.

Let's not confuse stupidity with lack of discipline. You can't fix stupid.

Let me jump for a moment. Jaxon, you said

You cannot reason with a 5 year old. Besides that, once you become an adult, the world does not 'reason' with you! Great thread! Star and Flag!

The reason, I propose, that the world does not 'reason' with you, is that the world is run by people who were taught that physical force is the only real way to deal with problems. Why is it ridiculous to attempt to explain to a child what they do is wrong? Is beating them with reckless abandon going to show them WHY what they did was wrong? No, it's just going to inform them that, wow, someone didn't like what I did, so I got hit. When people don't do what I like, I'll hit them. Beautiful world that makes for. Which brings me back to GWB. And his penchant for torture, unilateral application of force, and disregard for legislative process. Or 'reasoning'. I'm not saying that GWB was beaten, because I can't possibly prove that. When Democrats were elected to Congress in 2006, he did say we "gave his party a thumpin'", though.

This is tangential to my point, however, and I need to get back to work, so I'll just cut right to it.

Reasoning with a child is not ridiculous. It teaches them to reason with people, and it teaches them that violence is an inappropriate way to answer problems in the adult world. If you want the real reasons the world is going to hell, take a look at overpopulation, the misdistribution of resources, and reckless corporate profiteering. Not at how much kids get hit.

No one is advocating 'beating' children, but physical discipline does teach them that there are consequences to their actions. It also came with a stern talking to as to why you were in 'the woodshed' in the first place. I am assuming that you grew up after the mid seventies. Those of us who grew up in the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' era can see the degeneration of society, those of you who did not lack the perspective to see it. Quite simply, we coddle our children these days and do not teach them manners, cause and effect or anything else for that matter. Back in the day, if you could not pass tests and such, you did not get out of school, and quitting was simply not an option. Now we pass them along even though they lack the basics. High school grads who cannot read or write worth a damn, and the dropout rate is unbelievable. As to the part about reasoning, your boss does not reason with you when you do not do your work satisfactorily, he/she fires you. You are not doing your children or those of us who will have to put up with them once you have failed your job as a parent any favors by raising them with such psycho-babble techniques such as 'time-outs' and not demanding their very best at every turn. What we have now is several generations of rude, demanding, unapologetic a-holes who expect everything for nothing. The work ethic is absolutely atrocious these days and it is a contributing factor to the overseas job losses we are now faced with.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Wow, I could not have had a more opposite experience than this.

I was brought up in a Southern Baptist family. Grand Parents were hard core, my parents were not so much, but still believed in the rod part of the discipline.

I can not express in words how degraded I was by this experience.

To think, that under any circumstances, that my parents would strike me was, and is to this day, something I can not wrap my head around.

I wouldn't hit my dog, let alone a child.

The constant physical abuse did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I withdrew further and would listen to them less and less. Seriously, are you going to listen to someone that beats you?

So, finally they gave up. The beatings stopped and I went from getting F's in school to getting A's across the board.

Funny how that works.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The premise upon which the entertaining op was made was incorrect.

Assuming the time-frame is understood, we DID have a drug problem growing up. Doctors were handing our Valium like it was candy. They didn't need illegal drugs, they had prescribed drugs. And of course, :w:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
AMEN!!!!

I love this post thank you S&F! Hell I'm learning first hand what this "drug" problem is.

When even I was growing up (I'll be 20 in less than a month) my parents did the same things to me, it got to the point where ONE LOOK from my mother or father would make me calm down and cease whatever I was doing that would have gotten me the belt.

Now my brother, who is 10 at the moment gets away with EVERYTHING. My parent's excuse? We learned better.

For crying out loud he set fire to a 10 foot stack of cardboard in OUR DRIVEWAY and all he got was some harsh words.

I keep saying...if I had done that when I was a kid...whew boy would I have gotten one...

So I definitely most doodily-doo agree with you!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This may very well be the best thread I have ever read on any DB. Well done and Kudos to your parents for making you the person you are. I was raised in exactly the same manner and I have nothing but love and respect for my parents for caring enough to teach me how to be an honorable man.

Well Done!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join