It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning !! This will make you think!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Have you ever wondered how we advanced so much in the last 100 years than the last 10,000 years!?????

When I really think about it I find it extremely odd. It's hard to grasp at first because you never really think about it, but when you look at history in general, the last 100 years stand out in terms of advancement in many things.

Any intake?

[edit on 19-10-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
that's what happens when industry pulls together...

th epopulation explodes, ideas explode, science, technology, learning, schooling, evolve. mroe and more poeple get taught mathematics, know how to read, write, schooling gets compulsory in many countries.

technology evolves, research and development is a must for survival, lots of money gets poured into it, into scientific research.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
ahhhh funbaba. this didnt make me think all that much. ok, that's a lie. im thinking about this right now.
cool question!

terrence mckenna had a good explanation for this, in his "time wave zero" theory. he compared the electromagnetic cycles of the sun to the events of life, distant past and present. everytime there would be a peak or a valley in that particular solar influence (ie, any time the sun would go 'nuts'), it would coincide with a major historyical event. his culmination of this idea was how technology was progressing just as we were progressing towards that infamous date of 12/23/2012

more realistically, I would say that the rapid level of advancement may have more to do with how humans have become more clustered together in urban enviroments. I *think* this first started to happen during the renaissance of europe, as more people shared more of their ideas with each other. the bigger the social groupings, the bigger the ideas. the bigger the ideas, and the bigger the number of a local population, the more feasible it becomes to create advanced pieces of technology.

another theory i like to indulge in is that we are in a self-repeating cycle of technological evolution. though you may not find a 5,000 year old VCR lying around in antarctica, how do we know FOR SURE that the tech we invented today wasn't around long, long ago? a quote I like to think about every now and then is how "paper and stone tablets last longer than optical data".

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I honestly believe it has to do with the crash in 1947 in roswelle. Where we got a lot of technology and had to reverse engineer.... Then we made a pact with the aliens and were traded technology for humans for experiments...

Just look back and notice how things began to pick up around the 50's.....

so i've been told

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by porschedrifter]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I think with the USA being born and capitalism spreading all over the world really made our descendents bust their chops to find new and innovative ways to get rich. Inventions flurished and minds like Edison really pushed the envelope. Then came modern physics and everything changed. Now our electronic devices has already enslaved most of us
, Now what?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I would not rule out the possibility that man already was technologically advanced at some point in the past, and then lost that knowledge by widespread self-destruction in the form of a war.

There are a few ancient sites with massive stone blocks incorporated into their structures which would be very difficult if not next to impossible to recreate even with today's technology.

Also, many ancient sites reflect an advanced knowledge of astronomy. If there truly has been reversed engineering from alien technology since Roswell, then who's to say it didn't happen in the past by other cultures?

Q

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This has always bothered me. According to 'the science', we've been around in more or less the exact same physical and mental form for a few tens of thousands of years.

Have you ever stopped to think about how long that actually is?

Yet it's only in the last few hundred years we really got our collective #e together. I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Sure, there was the industrial revolution and all that...but why didn't we do that, say 20,000 years ago or something since we were esentially the same then?

Arguments of increased free time due to ease of life notwithstanding, it just doesn't make sense to me. Why didn't we do all this sooner, if we were just as capale of doing so the entire time?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If they got ET technology they are holding out and slowy feeding the "economy" with it.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
we humans love to kiss our own a$$.Pretty soon, the idea of a creator will cease to exist, then so will we.We are so arrogant when it comes to believing that an outside power exists.We want to be the meaning of everything in this universe, when in reality, there is no way that all of this space is just void or hear for our exploration.We are so far from ourselves that we will never be able to see the truth, even when it faces us.of course we have back engineered technology from saucer "crashes" and have advanced in the last 50 years about 2000 years worth.Thousands of years past and we just now, within the last 50 years figured some things out though, right?Google search for Philip Corso and get back to me.Anyone who USES common sense, and is not blinded by the governments brainwashing will be able to tell what is up.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
And I don't want to hear about any innovations of scientists because before the Roswell incident, it was ALL mediocre.But after the late 40's it picked tremendously...but we love to kiss our own a$$!!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well, my personal belief is it being due to religion taking a backseat finally. Galileo(sp?) was labeled heretic, Copernicus, I believe, was labeled a heretic, if Einstein were around then, he would have been labeled a heretic. Also, with our advancement, we had one tremendous leap in the past 100 years...harnessing electricity for our own gain. This has been huge and helped pave the way for the second greatest invention, the transistor. Everything modern uses transistors. I don't buy into the Roswell incident being the scapegoat for new found technology.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This didn't really make me think that much I'm afraid, there isn't much to think about.

There has always been "bursts" in terms of inventions throughout human history, it's the way it works. It's like a deck of cards, once you pull one idea out the whole deck of cards of ideas comes falling down. Namely in this case of the last century or so the discovery and usage of electricity.

That opened the floodgates of a whole host of ideas.

How many centuries do you think the apes sat about scared of being eaten before they discovered certain primitive weapons? First it was a stick or a bone, they sharpening rocks. Then sharpening the rocks and putting it at the end of a stick to make a spear...it goes on and on. Would you not consider this a burst in technology for them times?

Plus OXmanK is right, religion has hindered many inventors and their ideas. We could go into examples but I'm sure you're already aware of them.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The funny thing is, we have all these "hi-tech" inventions, we are familiarized with many of them, and we know how to operate most any we get a hold of.. (minus the alarm clock on the vcr)

But how many do you know how to create? I know how to use a microwave and TV, but I have no idea how to build either...

You might say oh well just get some plastic, glass blah blah.

But how do you get that?

sorry if I rambled and had no point, wake and bake son

link   
proven fact that technology advances every 15 years

link   
I think it has a lot to do with the evolution of society from hunters and gathers to agrarian. As we learned to grow crops we no longer needed to roam the forests all day for food. As we continued to grow crops we had the free time to say "I wonder if there's a better way". Society was able to support the Ben Franklins of the world who in turn gave us the starting point for our next evolution into an industrial state. I look at it that way -- as our time frees up from mundane tasks we are able to exercise our brain and imagination.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
You make a good point.... I believe that Earth was inhabited MANY times by advanced civilizations that had technology as great or GREATER than we currently posses.... If we can advance so much in 100 years and the earth has been around for millions/billions of years than it has to be possible that there were other civilizations that exisited longer than the current civilization and developed technology FAR GREATER than ours!! Just because we cannot find any proof isn't enough to say its impossible because the organic material we use to build our "machines" breaks down and disintegrates over time.... Think about that...

-psd_1

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
ahhhh funbaba. this didnt make me think all that much. ok, that's a lie. im thinking about this right now.
cool question!

terrence mckenna had a good explanation for this, in his "time wave zero" theory. he compared the electromagnetic cycles of the sun to the events of life, distant past and present. everytime there would be a peak or a valley in that particular solar influence (ie, any time the sun would go 'nuts'), it would coincide with a major historyical event. his culmination of this idea was how technology was progressing just as we were progressing towards that infamous date of 12/23/2012

more realistically, I would say that the rapid level of advancement may have more to do with how humans have become more clustered together in urban enviroments. I *think* this first started to happen during the renaissance of europe, as more people shared more of their ideas with each other. the bigger the social groupings, the bigger the ideas. the bigger the ideas, and the bigger the number of a local population, the more feasible it becomes to create advanced pieces of technology.

another theory i like to indulge in is that we are in a self-repeating cycle of technological evolution. though you may not find a 5,000 year old VCR lying around in antarctica, how do we know FOR SURE that the tech we invented today wasn't around long, long ago? a quote I like to think about every now and then is how "paper and stone tablets last longer than optical data".

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
"I believe that Earth was inhabited MANY times by advanced civilizations that had technology as great or GREATER than we currently posses"

1 question, not saying you're wrong or anything but this popped into my mind, How come there hasn't been any highly advanced tools found by us, that are beyond our own? You think maybe that they have been found we just have no clue as to what it is and write it off as just another ancient art piece?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Lysergic, I can talk about how they work. My major, after all, is electronics. That's why I make the claim that the second most important invention is the transistor. Transistors help us amplify the outputs on our electronic equipment. The only thing I cannot talk about at length is programming. I hate it too much, plus I don't know enough outside of C.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
See but how many of us have that knowledge, the ability to create, you know of any rumored ancient transistors?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The massive jump in technology can mostly be laid at the door of the Industrial Revolution.

www.open2.net...

Recent accelerations in technology are a furthering of the process that started back in the 19th century.

The jump in science and philosophy can be placed at the door of the Royal Society which dragged the West out of the Dark Ages.

www.royalsoc.ac.uk...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join