It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM Financial News Whitewash Of Hurricane Ike Death Toll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The last news I remember hearing about Galveston was that thousands stayed behind and part of the town was completely washed away. I heard a story on the news of a man who stayed and watched his neighbors being washed out to see during the storm.

Then the next day: BOOM, the economy is about to implode and for WEEKS now news has been bulging from the front pages about the bailout and the US Presidential elections.

Just as with Katrina, I feel we will never know the true death toll and it is far higher than any of the numbers put out there to sugarcoat the truth and make the failures of FEMA that much more visible.

Wiki: Hurricane Katrina
"Fatalities 1,836 confirmed, 705 missing"
"At least 1,836 people lost their lives in the actual hurricane and in the subsequent floods"

I would like to point out for emphasis that the numbers say "CONFIRMED DEAD" and missing. Also look at the wording: "in the actual hurricane". Makes me think anyone who died after the storm passed is being left out!

Where do they get the 705 missing from? Well these are just people lucky enough to be looked-for by family. Imagine the far greater number of people who have no one to look for them.

Wiki: Hurricane Ike
"Fatalities 116 direct, 34 indirect. 365 missing"
This being a recent event even these official figures are sure to rise but still...
These numbers are bogus, people!

Where's the news coverage? News coverage is vital also to charity and relief efforts! The poor Galvestonians must feel forgotten!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I saw this first hand with Hurricane Andrew in Miami, FL. As part of the search and rescue squads there, I personally saw, collected more corpses than the "official" count of 53 (i think). Those on the crew with me wondered why afterwards and came to the conclusion that governments don't consider migrant farm workers to be real human beings. It was the only answer we found that seemed to fit.

In Katrina, while I was not search and rescue, I did have the opportunity to talk with people at a local store that was able to re-open fairly quickly. They had a photo processing section of the store. S&R people were taking personal photos of the remains they found. The folks at the photo lab made second prints that they kept (KUDOs to them).

In speaking with both S&R team members and the photo lab personnel, reviewing the photos taken by these people, and doing a running mental count, I KNOW there were over 1,836 dead.

Why the numbers are purposely spun to be lower than reality, I do not know.

With Katrina, I could understand that they wanted to minimize the count to save face of the non-response of the teams that were supposed to respond, but why with Andrew, Gustav and Ike? I have no idea.

It is a trend that is happening over and over with each devastating event.

wild though - maybe they keep the official numbers low so they have new names to use for the next stage of voter fraud? And that is just a wild thought, not an accusation.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Cynthia McKinney Reveals that 5000 people were executed!!!

redhatty:"I lived through Katrina, never leaving the area. I was also an instrumental part of getting medicines and food products to many neighborhoods after the storm. I know for a FACT that the official death count is absurdly low, as it was with Andrew in Florida."

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Amazing. I was just posting what you said in the: Cynthia McKinney Reveals that 5000 people were executed!!! ATS thread when I saw you had just posted yourself in this very thread.

Coincidence? ESP? Odds?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
According to Mayor Thomas of Galveston, on Friday 9/12/2008, there were approximately 57,000 permanent residents on the island. It was estimated that about one-half evacuated. News reports stated that approximately 2000 were rescued after landfall.

The most recent death toll I can find is dated October 4, 2008 and stands at 70.

link: www.wjla.com...

The West end of the island was all but obliterated. I don't have the link, but there was a widely-circulated picture of a single house left standing.

What happened to the remaining 26,430 people?

The West end was populated, for the most part, by low-income people with no means to evacuate. Does it truly take years to determine how many people may have been washed out to sea? How and when are the people who don't have next of kin accounted for?

It appears that after 15 days or so, the news about this event stopped completely.

top topics

join