It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why American culture is deteriorating

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
DOn't blame hardcore rap. THAT IS THE RESULT! That is the result of this degenerate generation that just past---the babyboomer generation. They're the ones with the free sex, orgies, love, drugs, not bathing, and all kinds of nastiness. They made it with all their killing and wars in the 50-70s. They made this. The current generation just refined it amd marketed it.

Instead of giving for future generations as was the norm, the babyboomers just took and took and took for themselves, leaving us the X and Y-Generation nothing but hardship and marketed decadence form their former years.

Now, these very people are complaining about how bad society is.

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by Colonel]

It's all those damn new kids on the block's fault.

and the mickey mouse club.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
was there ADD or that seasonal lighting disorder like 80 years ago? no, there was not. people just cannot deal with their own problems and have to use some crap to help them. people need to be a lot stronger.

Yes, there was. They just put you in an insane asylum back then. And even longer ago, they'd just call you possessed and burn you at the stake.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
ADD is the biggest piece of # excuse I've ever heard. It's basically people who are too lazy to live getting some other excuse to f*ck around and get away with doing nothing.

Here's something else causing America to go down the drain. Political Correctness. There's no need for all the damn political correctness in our society. People need to learn how to deal.

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Yes, there was. They just put you in an insane asylum back then. And even longer ago, they'd just call you possessed and burn you at the stake.

and before then you were just outcast from society and died... we need to allow natural selection to take it's place, as horrible as that sounds. let the weak die off.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
ADD is real, although many people who just have a short attention span are diagnosed with it. If you don't think it's real, you've never met anyone who really has it.

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
and before then you were just outcast from society and died... we need to allow natural selection to take it's place, as horrible as that sounds. let the weak die off.

I take offense to this. I have Tourette's Syndrome, but I'm anything but weak. As a matter of fact, I'd kick your #ing ass all over the place just for calling me weak.
Kiss my ass, you little piece of #!
18yr old #ing teen who thinks he knows everything. I'll bet you've had everything handed to you.....you spoiled little #!!!
I'm all for natural selection, but I hope it gets rid of the idiots who don't think, like you.

To the mods: Sorry, but he asked for it. That just burns me up!

[Edited on 3-25-2004 by Satyr]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why do people resort to Ad hominem attacks?

Prove your point without attacking people.

As for there not being great minds in America in the past 100 years?

I will name a few.

Michu Kaku - one of our present day greatest minds.
Carl Sagan
Henry Ford
Dr. Jonas Salk- Developer of polio vaccine
Oswald Avery - proved that DNA carries genetic info.
William Shockley, Walter Bratton and John Bardeen - invented the transistor. (Americans)
Engineer Jack Kilby and physicist Robert Noyce patent the first computer chip. (Americans)

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Why do people resort to Ad hominem attacks?

Because, he basically said I don't have a right to live, since I have what could be considered a defect, to him. So, anyone who has any disease or syndrome should just drop dead, I suppose?
Sorry, but that pisses me off, since I can relate. He probably never even considered that possibility. He probably never considered the possibility of it being one of his family members, either.
Very weak minded, IMO.

[Edited on 3-25-2004 by Satyr]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
All of the above are AMERICANS, yes we have great minds in our country. I might not have been born in the US but I am an American, i even served our country in the military. I was in aircrew/aw in the Navy, last stationed at VS 24 Jax Florida an S-3 Vicking squadron, and i am proud to say i am an American.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   

ADD is the biggest piece of # excuse I've ever heard. It's basically people who are too lazy to live getting some other excuse to f*ck around and get away with doing nothing.

I have ADD ass hole! I am not lazy, and I never used it as #ing excuse! I worked twice as hard for half the results my whole life. Teachers were mad at me because they knew I was smarter then the work I was handing in. They were mad at me because I was distracted by just about anything. Then I got diagnosed with ADD, started taking Ritilin, and guess what? I ended up graduating with A's. I got a full ride to college - and not on the football ticket that I could have gotten. But on the fact that I had some of the best grades at one of the best prepschools in the country. A little info for you - I took an IQ test on and off Ritilin - my IQ was 20 points higher on it then off it.

Be glad you didnt say that to my face ass wipe, cause if you had I would beat the # out of you.

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by American Mad Man]

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
hmmmm. If I disagree with someone's opinion because it's based on an unproven belief system that I don't share, is that a personal attack?

Is telling you that I think you are wrong in what you think a personal attack? Might as well close down the board and cease all discusison then.

If I said you were ugly, or stupid, now that would be a personal attack because those attributes are not usually subject to change. However, being wrong about something always leaves room for improvement

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
All of the above are AMERICANS, yes we have great minds in our country. I might not have been born in the US but I am an American, i even served our country in the military. I was in aircrew/aw in the Navy, last stationed at VS 24 Jax Florida an S-3 Vicking squadron, and i am proud to say i am an American.

To me, this makes you more of an American than many who were born here.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca

Here's something else causing America to go down the drain. Political Correctness. There's no need for all the damn political correctness in our society. People need to learn how to deal.

ADD is very real. Someone very close to me has it. It is a slight malfunction in the brain. It does not fire right. At least with certain things. For lack of better words.

If you ever bothered to look it up you might know that. You have know idea the frustration people feel,that have ADD. Or the frustration of the people around them.

Do not speak about something you know nothing about.

To the topic,I doubt if just America is slipping. The whole world is. In the middle east you have kids strapping bombs to themselves. Now that is life deteriorating.
Or the hard core sex and prostitution in some European countries.
Its the whole damn world...not just America.

[Edited on 3/25/2004 by nyeff]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ambient, what makes you think that i was referring to you? Did you make any "personal" attacks on anyone in this thread?

If you read all the posts in this thread you will see what I am referring to.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
No, I know I don't make personal attacks. Actually I made a mistake and meant to post that one on another thread that you and I are sharing...

Like most humans, I make frequent mistakes... Sorry. I'm sincere about the my last post though.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm not certain that culture & society are deterioriating
or even devolving.

I think those concepts are expanding to be more
inclusive of all the many peoples in our 'world'

the only retreat or shrinking away (devolve/ deteriorate)
would be my own desire to be included, in the larger arenas...
perhaps i am self exiling myself...to the narrower context of what i agree to like and embrace, because i'm comfortable with the inherent biases that i've grown up with?

Also, too, since this culture is freeier? more open and
tollerent of peoples & their characters'....my own bias &
prejuidices tend to; mark/grade/approve/censor another's actions or lifestyle...according to my (?seeming correct?) standards.

I don't know about you...but i sometimes need a [swift kick or a 2x4] , to get my head straight & get grounded
again.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff

Originally posted by Faisca

ADD is very real. Someone very close to me has it. It is a slight malfunction in the brain. It does not fire right. At least with certain things. For lack of better words.

If you ever bothered to look it up you might know that. You have know idea the frustration people feel,that have ADD. Or the frustration of the people around them.

Do not speak about something you know nothing about.

To the topic,I doubt if just America is slipping. The whole world is. In the middle east you have kids strapping bombs to themselves. Now that is life deteriorating.
Or the hard core sex and prostitution in some European countries.
Its the whole damn world...not just America.

[Edited on 3/25/2004 by nyeff]

Ok I apologize to American Mad Man, nyeff, and anyone else I may have offended. But you have to agree with me, in most or a lot of cases, lazy kids are diagnosed with ADD way too much. I'm sure there are people out there with actual problems, but a lot of the time parents bring a kid who doesn't feel like paying attention to the doctor and he's diagnosed with ADD and given ritalin when all he has to do is pay more attention. I apologize again, I did not mean to offend. I agree that ADD is a problem for some people, but not all of the people who it is diagnosed to.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
No need to apologize Ambient, i was merely showing you that i was not refering to you. i didn't see you attacking anyone in particular.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Ok I apologize to American Mad Man, nyeff, and anyone else I may have offended. But you have to agree with me, in most or a lot of cases, lazy kids are diagnosed with ADD way too much. I'm sure there are people out there with actual problems, but a lot of the time parents bring a kid who doesn't feel like paying attention to the doctor and he's diagnosed with ADD and given ritalin when all he has to do is pay more attention. I apologize again, I did not mean to offend. I agree that ADD is a problem for some people, but not all of the people who it is diagnosed to.

I agree that it is overdiagnosed, but believe me, it can have great negative effects on someone.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
My eldest son has ADHD, and it seems that in our case, food dyes (red & yellow) and sugar are a primary culprit. Supplementing his diet with salmon oil pills and children's vitamins (it's surprisingly difficult to find any without sugar & dye) has helped immensely. IMO, not enough parents go through the process of finding out exactly what's causing the problem, instead opting for the pharmaceutical "quick fix" that will end up causing far more problems down the road.

Best of luck to those with ADD/ADHD -- it's rough being the parent of one, and I know it's not easy for those suffering with it, either.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It is in decline, and those who cause it are to blame.

rap, rock, lust, the teaching of exposing kids to adult behaviour.

kids cant even keep their innocent nature anymore.

we are a pathetic country period.

it has nothing, nothing to do with liberal ect conservative ect.

the government creats 9/11, dc sniper, and other events for a reason, and they [dumb] us down with anything they can, so
we will not catch on.

example: drugs, depression pills, football, sports, entertainment, [silly] news stories, meanwhile they are at the tip of what they want to accomplish. slavery.

but keep waving those flags, until you find out from God who works on your demise behind those flags.

the country itself is beautiful, but its turned rotten by the one who run it, truly rotten in everyway.

peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join