It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why American culture is deteriorating

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Any foreigner can tell you that the culture of the US is dying, had there ever been such a thing in recent times. I say foreigner because they would be the only majority of people able to properly make comparisons between the American way of life and a method of living outside of these borders. Only in this country do you have women who are constantly paranoid about freaky men who are trying to do nothing but rape them or otherwise take advantage of them. Usually, forgive me for being so bold, that form of behavior is nothing but an extension of personal insecurity (not to mention, too much news-watching). Only in this country do you have people going nuts across the country when a sniper in DC is going on a rampage... like he is really going to hop on a jet plane and shoot your house in California. Only in this country do you have a democracy as communist as the former USSR, with more divisions of secret police than you you can count on your two hands. And now we have this, the consolidation of these secret police as well as formerly independent facilities. As if we needed more feds! Do you know WHY there is an article under the Bill of Rights for the right to bear arms? So we can police ourselves! Something we have done before with much success!

Don't get me wrong. I love this country. rather, I lovED this country. We have more of a platonic relationship now.
I was an adamant defender of this nation's principles and way of life until 911 happened. Bush's election kinda made me weary of the way things were going, but that event tipped the scales completely. That changed everything. Like most of you, I was dumb enough to be suckered into the "put the american flag on everything you own" fad as a gesture of a memorial to those who had died that day. I took it a step further and put the EU flag on my car, beause of the renewed friendship that came from the condolences from the EU and Russia. Did you notice how quickly that fad became old? Probably because people realized how quickly they were suckered into media propaganda!

But do we really need a 1800 number to rat on our neighbors when they are pissing us off? Maybe because we are sick of their dogs taking a crap on our lawn? Do we need to be reminded of that number on billboards on highways that were designed to divert congested traffic? Maybe we want to call that number to rat on that guy who is blasting his subwoofer, or something? And have you EVER seen an unquestionable terrorist act on this country? By unquestionable, I mean without any form of government or psuedo-government involvement or influence. This alone disqualifies the Oklahoma City Bombing and 911, both in 1993 and 2001, BTW. No, I didn't think so. Why? Because nobody here is as driven to despair as is the people who usually engage in terrorist activities abroad. We are fortunate enough to live in a luxurious society whose focus is primarily on distractive entertainment and economic production and consumption.

Do we really need a Homeland Security Agency when we already have the FBI, whose primary task is to investigate all domestic issues related to crime and terrorism? Do we really need an HSA when we already have the Pentagon, whose primary responsiblity is to investigate and project any possible threats to this country, both domestic and international? Do we really need an HSA to deploy unmarked white vans to patrol our streets and highways just because some dip# held a press conference stating that they heard some bad chatter on the airwaves?

Quite simply, this is making our culture even more antisocial and overly paranoid than it already is. Instead of focusing on our daily lives, many of us have become ultra busy with worrying about what North Korea has in its silos. They couldn't nuke us, even if they tried! Do you know how far away that country is and how big the Pacific ocean stretches for? Instead of focusing on domestic issues, like the deteriorating educational system, many of us are falling into the old "cold war, sky is falling" trap when really we shouldnt be worrying about such nearly-impossible events. Have we not learned from the cold war, or even the faked search for WMD in Iraq? we're still here, right? so we should be partying, and not shaking in our boots because of what some idiot says on some tape. besides, how would we know who is recording that tape in the first place? they talk the talk, but they never walk the walk. And they never WILL walk the walk, because they cant. Have you been to an airport lately? You can't even hold a job that forces you to travel because of all of the extra security checks, like the ones that check for a leafblower in your carry-on luggage (seriously). You can't even go to the places you want to go to without shelling out an extra thousand bucks, for crying out loud!

here's a nice article that outlines the death of the American quality of life in a more professional manner: news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm not posting this as any form of liberal propaganda, so chill out you conservatives. As a former conservative myself, I'm also on your side. I'm not encouraging anything other than a serious review of the Homeland Security Administration and how much we really need it. I'm just saying all of this out of concern and frustration for the way living here is starting to suck. And it doesn't have to be that way. this is a great country with an even better collection of people. All I am saying is that we have NEST, so there is no way that someone can smuggle a nuclear warhead, or even a suitcase, in this country without anyone knowing better. All I am saying is that we have military bases in virtually every major city, so there is no way that someone can deploy a biological or chemical attack on our sovereign borders without anyone being any wiser. We have the protection, we have the security, and to have a siege mentality is always self-defeating. The last thing we need is more security, unless you really want martial law to take over once that "Severe" threat is announced. If you have made it this far, you owe yourself a pat on the back for allowing yourself to think this far beyond the media's conditioning. Thanks for your time, and I'd love to hear what you all have to say about this.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
very good insights, I attribute the decay of American Society as more of a consequence of our youth becoming infatuated with Hip Hop music, and its subsequent abuse of Women, Drugs, Violence. Now I used to listen to hip hop but that was a long time ago, I got tired of all the cussing, drug use, women degredation, violence.

But I think its just the way society in general is going.

Bowling for Columbine was very eye opening to many of my conservative friends, with notions that Canadians didn't lock their doors and Micheal Moore interviewing them as he entered their houses... We must just have a different point of view.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Wow that link is pretty powerfull stuff, I urge you all to check it out

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Now let's not be too melodramatic here. This is how humans have existed for thousands of years. So let's not pointlessly bash America just because it's really no different from other cultures as far as deterioration goes.

Rap music is not to blame. Weapons aren't to blame. Even money isn't to blame. Those things are neutral.

We are to blame. And you really can't blame us since this behavior is distinctly human. It's just the way things are.

These dickless, lunatics that strap bombs to themselves and detonate in a populated area mean about as much as the typical, money and power hungry American politician. In the grand scheme, they really don't mean anything. Life will continue no matter how many people you blow up to get into heaven and no matter how much wealth and power you amass.

The paranoid frenzy that followed 9/11 should have been of no surprise to anyone. Nor should have the power grabs that happened shortly after.

If you didn't know that the American flag would be a fad after 9/11 or that some corrupt politician would try and benefit somehow, then you are a fool.

I am glad the American flag can be shluffed off as a passing fad. It's a symbol, and in reality, it means nothing. It's a small step towards people letting go of meaningless symbols.

Maybe when humans can stop this insane possessiveness over things that have no meaning, or don't actually own--like land--maybe we can actually use our minds for something other than new and improved ways of killing eachother and supressing one another.

Besides. Did anyone really think America would be around forever? One day, America will be no more. It may be remembered in name and in history, but the country itself will be gone and replaced by a new one...

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Thorfinn Skullsplitter]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Any foreigner can tell you that the culture of the US is dying, had there ever been such a thing in recent times. I say foreigner because they would be the only majority of people able to properly make comparisons between the American way of life and a method of living outside of these borders.

Not that I disagree with the point you are trying to make, but come on - Foreigners hate the US, so they are NOT able to "properly make comparisons"!!!!
Get with it - the rest of the world has EXTREME envy of the US - especially European countries (which I assume you mean by foriegn countries, as I dont think you could make the argument that most african or middle eastern - or for that matter asian - countries are in an even remote position to criticise us).

Your 9/11 Bush election crap is stupid as well - there was no conspiracy, no US attacks on US, no illegal election. Get over your obvious liberal slant because you are actually on to something here - US culture is going down hill. We are no longer an iron willed nation of action takers. Instead we have become a country that cowers in the face of evil and has not the determination to carry out action (AKA war) and stick with it, when we don't see results on fridays news. It makes me sick! Here we are actually debating if it is a good idea to "offend" other countries by going after terrorists and their potential allys! It makes me sick! This is the exact same stance the chicken # French took right before Hitler steam rolled over them!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm sorry, American Mad Man, but you are perceptually blind.
You're part of the disease that plagues America.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Eventually if your society focuses mostly on "consumerism" and "Hollywood voyeurism", it will start to decay.

Name a "great American thinker" in the last 100 years.

Unfortunately many Americans seem to think what they watch on TV, what they EAT, and what they WEAR defines who they are. It doesn't.

So I guess I blame FOX TV .

jako

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugfast
very good insights, I attribute the decay of American Society as more of a consequence of our youth becoming infatuated with Hip Hop music, and its subsequent abuse of Women, Drugs, Violence. Now I used to listen to hip hop but that was a long time ago, I got tired of all the cussing, drug use, women degredation, violence.

slugfast, you make a good point about the youth. my generation, the notoriously selfish "gimme gimme gimme" generation, is appallingly apathetic and lazy when it comes to taking action. and I totally agree with you about that brainwashing stuff called cRap. I didn't know music entailed clicks and whistles combined with shouting "yeah. come on! UH! kill! smoke! snort!". Amazing this stuff is still around, and that more white girls than white guys enjoy this hideously racist stuff. That's what puzzles me the most about rap, aside from its nonsensical lyrics and smashing success.

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Now let's not be too melodramatic here. This is how humans have existed for thousands of years. So let's not pointlessly bash America just because it's really no different from other cultures as far as deterioration goes.

We are to blame. And you really can't blame us since this behavior is distinctly human. It's just the way things are.

The paranoid frenzy that followed 9/11 should have been of no surprise to anyone. Nor should have the power grabs that happened shortly after.

If you didn't know that the American flag would be a fad after 9/11 or that some corrupt politician would try and benefit somehow, then you are a fool.

Maybe when humans can stop this insane possessiveness over things that have no meaning, or don't actually own--like land--maybe we can actually use our minds for something other than new and improved ways of killing eachother and supressing one another.

Besides. Did anyone really think America would be around forever? One day, America will be no more. It may be remembered in name and in history, but the country itself will be gone and replaced by a new one...

wow, TS, that's not bad. and sorry for being melodramatic... I can act that way from time to time without thinking. The point I tried to make, albeit failed to do so, was that the US is being ruined differently from other cultures because since 1913 (I think), there have been people who have been focused on doing nothing BUT strategically forming the decay of our populous. And now we have this Homeland Security Farce which is like putting sawdust on puke after the fact.

Yes, I admit that I was a fool. Back then, I was more gullible than ever. And in those few days after the event, I felt mildly stupefied by the media, but it took me a month or two to realize, "hey... the hell is going on here?! 'With us or against us'?! Is he nuts?!" One of my most intelligent friends pointed out the fad thing to me within days, but it was too early, as I was still on that infamous patriotic high.

Your last two paragraphs are very foresighted. I like how you can see the big picture; not many of us have that virtue of clairsentience. I certainly hope that in time, humans will divert some of that brainpower from supression and murder to something more productive like cleaning up the mess (atmosphere, toxic water, dirty politicians, federal reserve, etc... it's a big mess! :lol
. And you're right. Rome didn't last for ever. Neither did Babylon. China has been around for a long time, but even their culture has gone through massive changes all of the time. The US is not above nor beyond this truth of civilization. Nothing lasts for ever. All good things must come to an end.

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Not that I disagree with the point you are trying to make, but come on - Foreigners hate the US, so they are NOT able to "properly make comparisons"!!!!

Your 9/11 Bush election crap is stupid as well - there was no conspiracy, no US attacks on US, no illegal election. Get over your obvious liberal slant because you are actually on to something here - US culture is going down hill. We are no longer an iron willed nation of action takers. Instead we have become a country that cowers in the face of evil and has not the determination to carry out action (AKA war) and stick with it, when we don't see results on fridays news. It makes me sick! Here we are actually debating if it is a good idea to "offend" other countries by going after terrorists and their potential allys! It makes me sick! This is the exact same stance the chicken # French took right before Hitler steam rolled over them!

I am very pleased, AMM, that you gave this thread a shot. This thread was aimed at your variety of the audience, because I know you guys are the ones who would get the most pissed off. And rightly so, because you are totally right when you made that statement about losing our iron will.

I will accept your views on my liberal slant, because I understand how it is perfectly natural for the winning side to defend their own winner. But please, consider this: we aren't becoming like the french during WWII... we are trying to prevent another World War. It would be perfectly alright if we were to stick with our invasion plans and war plans, but only if they are truly in some form of defense. We would be a country of liars and criminals if we were to stand idly by and stick by the fake War on Terrorism which has resulted in the further decimation of two already-defeated countries. Who can honor a superpower that repeatedly picks on third world countries, for crying out loud?

We're not trying to appease to our enemies like what britain tried to do with nazi germany. We're trying to make and keep our friends, because friends are infinitely profitable, in this respect. The world is a much smaller place than it was 100 years ago, so we really can't be like the cowboys we wanted to be.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. Very relevant stuff on how nobody around here cares enough to do anything anymore.

And Satyr, I appreciate your defense. But this guy isn't all that bad. He would be part of that disease if he came out here and said "you american-hating liberal! I hope you got to hell. You go to hell and you die!". American Mad Man at the very least tried to consider my points and didn't take my words as adding insult to injury. And that takes wisdom, which is not something I can say for the majority of the people who form that American plague of ignorance. Someone may eventually come out here and prove your statement right, however. Though I doubt it, as by now, they know better than to try that crap with me (and they've ignored me).

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
American Mad Man : "Not that I disagree with the point you are trying to make, but come on - Foreigners hate the US, so they are NOT able to "properly make comparisons"!!!!
Get with it - the rest of the world has EXTREME envy of the US - especially European countries ".

You're deluded, or you're fooling yourself. There are VERY few countries or people that ENVY the US.

They might envy RICH Americans (you know the ones) but they don't envy the rest of them, the poor, the health-insuranceless, the middle class, the 9-5ers.

And considering the rich are less than 10%, the other 90% are not envied at all. I sure would never want to live in the U.S., it's insane.

Jako

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
And Satyr, I appreciate your defense. But this guy isn't all that bad.

I can just hear him saying, "We should turn the middle east into a parking lot!"
That's the kind of mentality he and his type portrays. I'm sorry, but it's a sick individual who subscribes to that type of shallow thinking. Those people are incapable of seeing the underlying consequences of their own actions, much less the actions of a large, power hungry, gorilla of a gov't.

[Edited on 3-24-2004 by Satyr]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Get with it - the rest of the world has EXTREME envy of the US - especially European countries (which I assume you mean by foriegn countries, as I dont think you could make the argument that most african or middle eastern - or for that matter asian - countries are in an even remote position to criticise us).

What are we envious of?
Corrupt politicians?
Corporations running the country to line their own pockets?
Serious racism problems?
Guns everywhere?
Crime totally out of control?
No health service for the poor?
A laughable legal sysytem?
A brainwashing educational system that "teaches" everyone that the US way is the best way?

The US is widely hated in Europe and its not jealousy, its arrogance, refusual to sign up for any envoirmental pacts, illegal wars and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Just about everone I know wouldnt swap their country for the US.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Hip hop: well what about germany? harsh music originated over there
Drugs: a little place called Colombia? coc aine? ring a bell? in europe they have "coffee houses" with weed
Degradation of women: where have u been? have u ever heard of the middle east? perhaps afghanistan?
Violence: what about south america, haiti, africa, and ireland?
Stop putting down America! there are places in the world that are far worse than this country! y don't u go and rip on them, instead?!?!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ill tell you something..........deterioration leads to more deterioration.....so the future aint lookin to hot

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Why do you think foreigners hate you... not envy but because your country is #ed up... i live in AUS an the USA is one of the least popular countries with the general populace, and we;re one of your loyal allies... i would personally rather live in Europe than the USA

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I'm sorry, American Mad Man, but you are perceptually blind.
You're part of the disease that plagues America.

Blind? Am I blind because I don't believe that Bush planned the terrorist attacks? Please tell me what makes me blind.

we aren't becoming like the french during WWII... we are trying to prevent another World War.

Heres where I must disagree. There is going to be no world war against the US. The US isn't picking fights with nations that can compete with us (as if any one could
) which brings me to this:

We would be a country of liars and criminals if we were to stand idly by and stick by the fake War on Terrorism which has resulted in the further decimation of two already-defeated countries. Who can honor a superpower that repeatedly picks on third world countries, for crying out loud?

Do you honestly think that the war on terrorism is fake? It is very real - we are at war with terrorists who wish to defeat us, and our way of life. This is as real a war as there has ever been. It may not be as conventional as wars fought in the past, but it is a war none the less. We don't "pick on 3rd world countries. These our the countries that aid our enemys. These are the countries that wish to harm us. It is niave to think that they wish us no harm just because they are a less developed nation.

I can just hear him saying, "We should turn the middle east into a parking lot!"
That's the kind of mentality he and his type portrays. I'm sorry, but it's a sick individual who subscribes to that type of shallow thinking. Those people are incapable of seeing the underlying consequences of their own actions, much less the actions of a large, power hungry, gorilla of a gov't.

When did I say I wanted to turn the middle east into a parking lot? When did I portray this? I would have none of this. My thought on the subject though is that millitary action is needed to take out terrorists and terror supporting nations. I wish no harm on the innocent, but I am not ignorant enough to think none will be hurt - such is the nature of war.
I must say that it is a sick individual who assumes to know the thoughts of others. I would also like to add that you should think about the concequences of not taking action against terrorism.

Flyer a response:
What are we envious of? - Our power. (BTW, I was speaking of your gov, not of the individual)
Corrupt politicians? - hmmmm. Dindt the prime minister of France (Alain Juppe) just resign because he was accepting bribes????? I'd say Europe has there own.
Corporations running the country to line their own pockets? - again, you have your own
Serious racism problems? - Oh, well I guess there are no racism problems in Europe, like how the French have anti-semetic problems in france, or Germans displeasure with the Turks. I will not even get into the middle east and Africa, as for Asia - everyone loves everyone there right?

Guns everywhere? - yup and proud of it. At least we can own and carry a pistol!
Crime totally out of control? I guess that Englands crime rate tripling when they banned the right to own a gun indicates that we to should ban guns

No health service for the poor? - I will concede that we do need work in this area
A laughable legal sysytem? - I'd say ours is as bad as most European countries
A brainwashing educational system that "teaches" everyone that the US way is the best way? - I never incountered this. But then again, I am just a stupid fat American
(IQ - 135, 6'0 203lbs 5% body fat)

The US is widely hated in Europe and its not jealousy, its arrogance, refusual to sign up for any envoirmental pacts, illegal wars and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Sorry - just because we don't do what you want us to doesnt make us arrogant! In fact, it is down right arrogant of you to think that!

Just about everone I know wouldnt swap their country for the US.

of course not - Europeans have a lot of national pride and patriotism, which I respect.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Any society that gets upset over a tittie on tv, or today the judge of "american Idol" maybe giving someone the middle finger, yet still manages to ignore violent and sexually explict music vids, or the sexualization of teens through clothing and sitcoms, or hours of violent abusive murders every night on the TV, (crap CSI and clones) is indeed in a state of decline, if it ever reached a "high" to start off with.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Name a "great American thinker" in the last 100 years.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Read up on what he wrote and said. He saw the need for unity within our society and had he lived who knows how different our society would have been. Take his words and ideas and put them against the problems in today's society with violence in music, movies and society in general. He could have pulled a large portion of our population in a better direction.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

very good insights, I attribute the decay of American Society as more of a consequence of our youth becoming infatuated with Hip Hop music...

See the bigoted racism coming in? Hip Hop music caused the fall of this culture...as if it was decadent and evil from the inception.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
damn, 5% body fat. now I'm jealous

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The downward spiral.

Gay marriages, the removal of 'under one GOD', the removal of in GOD we TRUST, Marriage Failure rate, corrupt religious organizations, Pedophile Priests and the Church's that protect them, sensless murders, greed, avorice, the idolization of money, the pursuit of power and fame. on and on and on.

All of these things are un-godly and the further down that road we go, the worse off we will become.

And eventually The United States of America will be a thing of history books and old wives tales. Replaced by something else, maybe a New Mexico Republic or West Asia or maybe even just an irradiated desolate no-mans land. But someday America will no longer be here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join