It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes bailout package

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Senate passes the bailout bill

In all honesty I'm not sure what to make of this. It now goes to the house for voting. What's your take on it?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

...that the Senate sold us out. Roll call will be posted shortly.

I'm pretty sure my Senators voted yes. I called both of their offices several times today, and their lines were busy every time. At least I'd left messages the day before.

Let's see what the House does on Friday.

[edit on 2008/10/1 by evilod]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Not very surprised the senate passed this, that was kind of a given especially considering a large majority of them aren't up for re-election.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just as I predicted a couple days ago on the forum. They have usurped the will of the people. It's TREASON as far as I am concerned!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I second the treason.

Well, all I can say is that we need to send a bunch of "you are fired come time for your election" letters to those who voted "aye" and we need to send a second round of "you will be fired come election day if YOU pass this" letters to Congress.

And then we all need to vote for a third party candidate for President since both MSM candidates are "for" the bailout.

We have to actually act on this. Do not vote for Obama OR McCain. Vote for yourself if you need to, but lets send them a message.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Dear god. Nothing I could say to express my feelings about these traitors woudl pass the profanity censors.

I want out of the union!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Here is the roll call... www.senate.gov...

Line 2

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I live in Michigan. Stabenow, a Dem, voted no on this....and i actually got a reply in my email on why she did not support this bill...which actually i'm suprised as the house reps gave no reply.

Levin, also a Dem, voted yes. He will not get my vote when he is up for re-election. I'm going to post the email sent to me from Stabenow:

"Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me about the financial crisis package recently considered in Congress. I share your anger and frustration about this situation. Although I think we need to act to fix our American economy, I do not feel this bill is the right way to do it, and I voted against this package when it came before me in the Senate.

What is most outrageous to me is that this is not an accident. We are in this crisis because of a failed philosophy and a failed set of priorities that have rewarded greed. We have seen policies of massive deregulation and willful neglect of what is going on in these markets.

We know there is a crisis on Wall Street, but there's a much bigger crisis in Michigan and across America. Hard-working families, who play by the rules, are the ones in crisis every single day, and this bill does little for them. People are losing their health care, their pensions, their jobs, and their homes.

This legislation is fundamentally the wrong approach to fixing our economy. We need to start from the root of the problem and help families stay in their homes and keep their jobs.

Just last week, the Senate was unable to get bipartisan support for a jobs bill that would have helped families in Michigan who are suffering the worst in this economy. Our bill would have created desperately needed jobs in Michigan. That bill represented the right priorities!

Although I'm glad the final bill included some alternative energy tax provisions that I have championed in the Senate, the underlying legislation did not do enough to address the real problems of jobs, health care, energy independence, and home foreclosures.

In the coming months, I will continue fighting to stop the policies that got us to this crisis and hold the people accountable who failed to protect our country. Most importantly, I will continue to focus on creating new jobs in Michigan.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator"

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
According to the vote, the total was 74-25...did someone abstain or not get their vote counted??

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Kennedy did not because he is ill.

sorry for one line post

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson
Senate passes the bailout bill

In all honesty I'm not sure what to make of this. It now goes to the house for voting. What's your take on it?

Specifically taken from that article:

"Senators agreed to the plan 74-25 as an amendment to an unrelated bill, which was passed shortly thereafter. "

"Altogether, the additions would swell the projected coat of the bailout from $700 billion to more than $800 billion, a frightening number to swallow for House members in tight re-election battles. "

Definately sounds like treason to me!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Full Text (pdf)

Enjoy.

:shk:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
If Kennedy is ill, I wont hold that against him. I hope he gets better soon. Then again he may want to join JFK considering what the leaders of this great country are doing to it.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
CNN is harping on "How this is good for the economy, lets hope the House passes it!"

Wow...and both of my senators Yea'd....damn texas, we used to have a pair...i guess they fell off and rolled away like tumbleweed in the wind a long time ago....

Keeping my fingers crossed for the house to sit on it and light a fart.

Bush better not push it, isnt it in his power to push it through now that the senate has voted on it, even if the house Nae's it?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Both of mine voted against it. I called them today and gave them my 2 cents and I have sent them numerous emails in the past week.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Both of mine voted for it

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I am posting this link from another post i just read. I'm not sure who this guy is....but there is a clip from somone on msnbc stating the true reason for the bailout. This is very interesting stuff here. The guy is basically saying that this is for foreigners. This isn't going to help taxpayers. It's to appease foreign countries that got involved in our debt and to save them from the hell that is about to ensue here in the US.

Amazing stuff indeed.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by David9176]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I've seen that guy and he has a point. There is nothing in the bill that prevents foreign entities from selling crap paper to a US institution and then that institution turning around and putting it on the taxpayer. And actually, some of the language in the bill leads me to believe that foreign entities may be able to skip the middleman all together.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Where's the link?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
doh...sorry for that

link

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>