It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate approves its own bank bailout package

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Senate approves its own bank bailout package

www.msnbc.msn.com

Senators agreed to the plan 74-25 as an amendment to an unrelated bill, whose passage was expected to be a formality.

Senators loaded the rescue plan with tax breaks and other sweeteners for the right and the left, hoping to secure approval in the House by Friday, just days after the House’s rejection of President Bush’s plan sent financial markets plunging around the globe.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Now this bill will be passed back to the house. Surprised that 74 agreed to the bill.
The senate feels that the revised bill will now pass through the house.

I don't see what significant changes were made other then It does include a 100 billion in tax breaks for the middle class and businesses.

I guess the added break for Americans is supposed to pursuade the opponents to vote for the bill now.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The Lower House is not allowed to Amend any items to this Bill, so I wonder how it will hold up when all is said and done. They said that the Hill's Switchboard received around 90,000 Telephone Calls, and 85,000 of them were Constituents against ANY "Bail-Out" of ANY form whatsoever. Even the Hill's ISP Network was temporarily shut-down due to an overwhelming amount of E-mail and Visitations by Constituents fervent in wanting to grab a hold of the Final Copy of this Bill, in order to scrutinize it.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
President Bush is already picking out the pen he will use to sign the bill.

House will pass it too.

Must give Reid his dues. Unlike Pelosi he was very professional.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Just as I had predicted a couple days ago on this forum.....They have usurped the people!

This is plain TREASON!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

This is what enrages me!!! They are pushing through fasttracking a bill with so many pages, even I as a speed reader would need an hour to get through it, then a day or so to digest it. The "revisions" are hogwash!! Now the FDIC(who has any faith left in this agency????) gets to insure deposits for a quarter of a million bucks. And a tax break?? Are they JOKING? How the heck do I get a "break" from forking over 700 billion+++ bucks to these clowns and crooks?

The will of the people is being ignored, and I am very upset. Every one of these crooks and sheeple that voted this through need to be unseated, for betraying the people of their country.

What a dirty shame America seems to be turning into. Why cant these jokers get it??

I bet most of them have not even read the thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
[edit on 1-10-2008 by tmbandt]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
A complete joke.

They think action...any action...will save us.

No hearings...no experts...no accountability...no genuine representation.

This is a sad evening in America.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmbandt

[edit on 1-10-2008 by tmbandt]

Why did you erase? i was just about to quote and compliment you on your phrase, "Disregard for my own intelligence." And preface you on the fact that I'm going to steal it, and use it as my own.

AAC

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
If anyone finds a Roll Call of votes please post it so I can refuse to vote for the Senators that ignored the voices of their constituents.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by racegunz

Roll call will be posted here...
www.senate.gov...

It will be a few more minutes...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It is notable that many Senators [two-thirds?] are not up for re-election on November 4, while every single Representative is.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Just read this article:

House foes soften

And with constituent feedback changing dramatically since Monday's shocking House defeat and the corresponding market plunge, lawmakers' comfort level with the package increased markedly.

Rep. John Shadegg of Arizona, a leading conservative who voted no on Monday, told CNN Wednesday he's "strongly leaning" toward voting for the plan.

Asked if was ready to switch from no to yes, Rep. Steve LaTourette, R-Ohio, said: "Not yet, but it's getting there."

Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., said Republicans "can argue now that there have been some steps taken that they recommended."

So, does anyone know if this bailout parts of this bill remained the same as before? If nothing has changed except adding on a bunch of sweet deals, then we know our Senators are easily bribed, and our congressmen are about to be. "It's an awful, unfair bill. Oh wait, you're going to add in some bit of legislation I've got special interest in? Well then...hey, it's a necessary bill for the country..."

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I admit, I'm not the brightest guy. I deleted the post because it sounded dumb. No need to make fun.

Although, I understand why you would.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Can anyone explain something to me.
What's the difference of it going trough the senate before the house?

Also here's an explanation of dire effects

link   
Bomb the servers tonight until they crash. Call your representatives tomorrow and protest the passage of this bill. (Although, no one answered Blanche Lincoln's phone this morning when I called. In case you're interested, Democrat-Arkansas, although she won't be in office after 2011 if I have anything to say about it!) Let them know that, if this bill passes, they will be out of a job come next election. (And let those that are up for election this year that they are GONE if this abomination of legislation passes.)
WE ARE A FREE PEOPLE. THESE SOB'S WORK FOR US! MAKE SURE THEY KNOW IT! AND FOR THEM, THERE IS NO REPRIEVE.

link   
Looks like Wall Street just got their very last crack-fix.

Oh, happy day.

Here's a question: Which do you think is worse - a few thousand rich people crying 'poor me' in the streets, or a few million desperate people panicking and rioting across the nation?

Good choice senate. Good choice.

[edit on 1/10/08 by Evasius]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Rollcall...

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Allard (R-CO), Nay
Barrasso (R-WY), Nay
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Brown (D-OH), Yea
Brownback (R-KS), Nay
Bunning (R-KY), Nay
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Nay
Cardin (D-MD), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Nay
Coleman (R-MN), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corker (R-TN), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Nay
DeMint (R-SC), Nay
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dole (R-NC), Nay
Domenici (R-NM), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Ensign (R-NV), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Nay
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Nay
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Nay
Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Nay
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Martinez (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Yea
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Obama (D-IL), Yea
Pryor (D-AR), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Roberts (R-KS), Nay
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Salazar (D-CO), Yea
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Sessions (R-AL), Nay
Shelby (R-AL), Nay
Smith (R-OR), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Stevens (R-AK), Yea
Sununu (R-NH), Yea
Tester (D-MT), Nay
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Nay
Voinovich (R-OH), Yea
Warner (R-VA), Yea
Webb (D-VA), Yea
Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
Wicker (R-MS), Nay
Wyden (D-OR), Nay

Source: www.senate.gov...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Anybody need a tax cut for wooden arrows?

I guess they think this bill will really revive our economy with BS like this.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I just emailed my congressman told him not to count on my vote, and I emailed my representative and told him the same if he votes yes to this.

I was leaning towards voting McCain even though I voted for Paul in the primary. I liked Palin at first, but now she reminds me of those cheerleaders in high school and I've decided that Palin has no business in government the same as I believed the cheerleaders had no business in student council. I wonder if Palin can do a roundoff backhandspring?

As far as this bail out plan goes it's a joke. This is not going to stop the foreclosures. All it's going to do is give the bankers more money to buy high priced lazy CEO's whose main goal is to make as much money as they can to support their luxury habits. If they really wanted to bail out the economy they should have handed that money over to the American families and let them pay off their bills. At 3500 per person I could have paid off all my remaining bills, been out of debt completely (with the exception of my house) and had more money to spend on things like redoing my kitchen floor and bathroom. Now that would have helped the economy. Instead, I see nothing, YOU see nothing, and JOHN Q CEO gets a big fat bonus for sitting on his lazy duff all day, making bad business decisions and fluffing his books.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join