It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Onlookers urge suicidal teenager to jump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Onlookers urge suicidal teenager to jump

news.ninemsn.com.au

A teenager has plunged more than 15m to his death as others below urged him to jump and then took photos of his dead body.

Shaun Dykes, 17, committed suicide from the top level of a shopping centre carpark in the English regional centre of Derby yesterday after police tried to coax him away from the edge, the Daily Mail has reported.

But a group of onlookers below shouted encouragement at him over the three hour ordeal, according to police and witnesses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Can anyone else believe people are so heartless?

I cant comprehend the type of peron that would encourage someone in such a situation to kill themselves, then rush forward and take photos of the corpse. It really does sicken me

People should've been encouraging him to get back of the ledge, not to jump.

Everyone elses thoughts?

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Agree

But don't understand why a virtually identical thread, containing over a dozen posts, was removed a few hours ago ?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
Agree

But don't understand why a virtually identical thread, containing over a dozen posts, was removed a few hours ago ?

Really?

That why I couldnt find anything similar....mods care to explain?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Really shocking, just clearly tells how heartless these days the teenagers are, promting a person to die, better those prompters be jailed first, because the law says that the person who did the wrong will be punished less and the person who prompted will be punished more, but he paid with his life for it.

Better those prompters go to hell.
:bnghd:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I wonder why in the world the police didn't force those onlookers to move along and leave the area. The whole situation is bewildering and sad.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I blame his girlfriend who broke up with him. It was her that drove him to the ledge, not the kids yelling.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

Are you serious? Apparently you don't have a teenager, you would think twice about that statement if you did. The article stated that the kid was suffering from depression. What if, instead of taking his own life...which is horrible in itself, he freaked out and took it out on his girlfriend. Would you have advised his ex-girlfriend to stay in that relationship, as unstable as he was, and take the risk that he would do something to her or her family? She holds NO responsibility in this at all.

And as a parent of a teenager, this kind of story terrifies me. I try to teach my children to have compassion for others, especially those who are suffering and in pain. But I would never, ever advise my teen to stay in a relationship with anyone out of fear of what that person may do. Life is full of disappiontments and we need to teach our kids to rise above those disappiontments.

And shame on those kids who urged him to jump, I wonder if their parents taught them to value life? Apparently they didn't. Those kids should all be arrested for obstruction, they all need to deal with what they have done. I can imagine that the image of him jumping will haunt them for the rest of their lives. What will happen when they can't deal with their guilt anymore? I will be showing my kids this article today. It's important for them to know what kids are capable of.

Rush

[edit on 2-10-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
I blame his girlfriend who broke up with him. It was her that drove him to the ledge, not the kids yelling.

Wow... He was responsible for his own actions. Breaking up with a person does not make you responsible for their suicide.

I am flabbergasted at how inappropriate that response was, just as I am flabbergasted by the fact that human beings would cheer another person on to their death.

I shouldn't be surprised about anything anymore. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. My species is just awful.

top topics

join