It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would I know a "disinfo" agent from Adam?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I've been reading, but not posting, on a recent hot topic thread, and a particular poster has been called a "disinfo agent" by several. While, emotionally, I agree with common sentiment, there is a logical part of my brain that says "what EXACTLY does that mean"? So please, users far and wide, give me some sterling advice!

What ARE the hallmarks of a "disinfo" agent?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

Who is Adam?

What does he have to do with a "disinfo agent"?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Don’t you know? A disinfo agent is anyone who isn’t agreeing with you at the time.

Kidding.

Anyway what thread are you referring to?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How to tell a disinfo agent from Adam? Adam is nude. A disinfo agent is usually dressed to appear to be a sincere and upright person.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
How to tell a disinfo agent from Adam? Adam is nude. A disinfo agent is usually dressed to appear to be a sincere and upright person.

Very difficult to differentiate in this environment though, wouldn't you say? Not always though, but certainly with those worth their salt.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

Very difficult to differentiate in this environment though, wouldn't you say? Not always though, but certainly with those worth their salt.

They say nude avatars are removed so that we cant tell a disinfo agent from Adam...

Anyway: Every idea has its pro and con side. Everyone only considering ONE side of a topic is an unwitting disinfo-agent, imo.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Adam was deceived by the snake, where as the disinformation agent is the snake that is trying to deceive you.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Harassment101]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Anyway: Every idea has its pro and con side. Everyone only considering ONE side of a topic is an unwitting disinfo-agent, imo.

Possibly. But are you not automatically creating opposition by labelling someone simply for their apparent ignorance? Surely, if you care enough and are willing to make the effort, the persausion of your argument should be sufficient to move them to at least see your perspective. If not, in my mind, if you have done all that you can, and cannot at least compromise, then yes, I would suspect disinfo. But I at least have to try and sway before I make a judgement, if indeed I do then.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
To me its just another form of the tired old Ad Hom attack.

For some who simply cannot believe that thier cherished opinions are not shared by those they are interacting with, slapping a lable such as this de rigeur for them.

" He does not think the government is behing conspiracy X, he MUST be a disinfo agent"

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by irevolution

I thought this was a "common" inference. Apparently not. "Adam", that dude in the Garden of Eden, being used as a reference point for anyone. I'll rephrase the question without Adam. What are the "hallmarks" of a disinfo agent. I ask this question in all seriousness.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Thats the rub, if its a true disinfo agent, you really cannot tell them from someone who is passionate about a particular topic.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

The thread is "get ready folks" and I read EVERY stinkin post. There is one poster there who many think is a "disinfo" agent. I want to know, logically, how one can know. Is it just gut reaction?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
In that particular thread it doesnt look like a disinfo agent but just a contrarian who likes to disagree.

2 cents.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Then the question which begs asking...what is the dif between a contrarian (I like that word) and a disinfo agent?? If you please...........

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
reply to post by irevolution

I thought this was a "common" inference. Apparently not. "Adam", that dude in the Garden of Eden, being used as a reference point for anyone. I'll rephrase the question without Adam. What are the "hallmarks" of a disinfo agent. I ask this question in all seriousness.

Sorry just having a bit of fun with the Adam comment. In all seriousness, there is no 100% real way to tell a disinformation agent. In fact sometimes these agents will provide truthful information with 5% of lies. This means that you get what looks like the truth with just enough bs thrown it to throw you off.

Other times they will seem harmless, but they will even with lot's of reason, logic and proof, keep trying to devalue a subject matter or topic.

A disinformation agent usually has a specific goal, eg. Ensure the truth about x,y,z does not get out to the public. This can be done by discrediting people that are telling the truth, this can also be done by getting into pointless arguments, throwing the topic off base.

There are lot's of methods they use. You will likely not be able to spot one at first, it's only over time that you learn what to look for. When I first came to places like this, I had never heard of disinformation agents either, but now I have a better time of spotting them.

Oh another thing they do, they will pretend to be on opposite sides sometimes, so you don't realise that in the end they are really working together. It's pretty slimy stuff, but it has an objective and an agenda and that is usually to keep you from figuring out what the truth is, that is why you have to do your own investigations.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
reply to post by Skyfloating

Then the question which begs asking...what is the dif between a contrarian (I like that word) and a disinfo agent?? If you please...........

A contrarian: Someone who is either in a foul mood or dislikes a certain group of people and spends a lot of time disagreeing with them.

A disinfo agent: Someone who is employed or paid to conceal certain information by deflecting, distorting, spinning, confusing and covering-up and double-layering the facts.

You dont need many disinformers because most people just parrot what they read, see and hear from others. So all these parrots are doing the job for the disinformers. Thats why I dont think you will have many here.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Some people on ATS believe that there are people paid by the Government or whomever to come on here and bring a lot of false information to the site.
Generally, this is comprised of anyone who thinks differently than the stated opinion.
Based on that, there is no difference. Just a group mentality.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I wonder is the Op is referring to me

I have had hundreds of disinfo allegations.

In my opinion disinfo is a deliberate or misleading post of false information, which is not allowed on this site. Most of the accusers that label others on ATS though are just trolling or are beaten in a batlle of differing opinions. So as a last resort they simply claim the other poster as a government disinfo agent.

Pretty immature huh

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

A disinfo agent: Someone who is employed or paid to conceal certain information by deflecting, distorting, spinning, confusing and covering-up and double-layering the facts.

You mean to say there are people who get paid to be jerks.
Do you have a linky for SDog?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hello Dawg.

I dont really think there are that many disinfo agents here. With atheists believing that life is coincidence and christians believing it was created in a week, you have billions of people residing on a level of ignorance that beggars belief. What would you need that many disinfo agents for?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join