It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking Outside the Box, or Making the Box Bigger?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Thinking outside the box is used pretty often, and I understand people's value of the idea.

However, there are reasons why there is a box. Generally the ideas in the box have been tried and tested. New ideas are just another way of doing the same old thing. They then get added to the box, something to think outside of the next time.
For that matter, sometimes when people speak of thinking outside the box, they mean taking the box and tossing it out the window.
Usually brings them grief until they go out and pick up the box again.

Personally, I think adding to the box is more important than thinking outside of the box.
Something already done is not necessarily bad, and new ideas are frequently built on old ideas.

But, in your opinion, which is better?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Keep the box, of course.

All old ideas are not always bad and all new ideas are not always good.

Why not use the box as a reference point?

We have tried and true ideas and new and improved ideas.

Kinda reminds me of the old saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water".

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
How about changing the square/ box to an octagon

Do this and we will talk

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I couldn't disagree more! Thinking inside the box has brought us a me mentality that puts the short term above the long term. Such things as 40% of all food being thrown away, while people are starving. Being unable to see what's possible, because a little risk and some sacrifice is less desirable then having others suffer.

Thinking outside the box brings us all this innovation in renewable energy that is flourishing around us. Thinking outside the box brings us, setting aside religious dogma for the greater good of the universe.

these are just a few examples

top topics

join