It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee, Mud, Joe, Java...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Star kitten

I am glad you cleared up the Wendy's bit... I was thinking to myself, I need to go get myself a iced coffee at Wendy's. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'll admit that I'm probably the farthest thing from a taster of coffee that there is and still be a drinker of it. Caffeine levels. That sums it up for me. I got used to Military coffee. Weapons grade as I like to think of it. Even after leaving the Army I still love it as strong as I can get it. Add a little non dairy creamer to cut down on the acidity (and subsequent heartburn), maybe a little sugar, maybe not and I'm good to go.

I remember a number of years ago when I was working as a security guard I and a co-worker were in the guard shack when some of my coffee got spilled onto a off white counter. Or at least we thought it was off white. We discovered that the counter was actually very white when we wiped up the spilled coffee revealing a gleaming white counter underneath the grime.

Still love it roughly that strength.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
That's funny stuff Deson... Strong enough to peel the paint off the walls as they say. Did they ever put egg shells, or egg yolk into the coffee?

The egg shells are supposed to take out the bitterness, and the egg yolk in the coffee (Sometimes called cowboy coffee) makes it sweet.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

I put a sprinkle of salt into the coffee grounds before running it through the machine for the bitterness. Never heard of egg shells????

It's a trick I learned while working at a restaurant years ago.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Mmmmmmmm......... coffee

I now live right down the street from the best Starbucks I've ever been to. I usually brew my own at home (Starbucks beans, and my favorite is the Anniversary Blend), but when I'm running late it's a venti coffee, black and bitter

But for a treat in the evening, those Pumpkin Spice Lattes are the best. They have some new hot chocolate flavors this year too, that I haven't tried yet, but they look good.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

No they didn't do any of that. Or at least as far as I know about. I would say that the only place might have been in the chow hall but if so I never heard of it. In the ready room we kept one of those old 40 plus coffee cup models. One time when I was pulling a 24 hour straight guard duty post and I was by myself I decided to brew up one of those mondo pots for the crew when they would come in the next morning. I brewed it as per my typical strength. Around 12:30 am or so I was getting tired. So I drank some ..... and later on more.... and more. You get the idea.
Anyway around 4:30 or so I was flying. I needed something to do. I noticed that the tile floor hadn't been cleaned in some time. So I cleaned it. Swept and mopped. Still needed something to do. The floor didn't look good enough so I stripped off all of the old wax, placed on 3 coats of new wax, buffed to a shine where you could see things roughly 4 feet off the ground in the shine. Came around 6:00 am and the new crew was coming in. The first one was the sergeant in charge of the crew. He exclaimed "IS IT WET??!!" "Nope." I replied. "It's dry." 2 days later he wanted to have me transferred to his crew but for some reason the sergeant in charge of my crew didn't want me to be transferred. (chuckle)

The strange thing was that when I got off duty that morning I had no problems going to sleep since I had been awake for 24 hours prior.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

That's a great story Deson, quality stuff my friend. It's exactly what I am looking for in this thread. Coffee sure is a motivator... I remember eating out at a restaurant this one time, and the waiter called it artificial enthusiasm. I still get a kick out of that.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

You're rather fortunate to have a Starbuck's so near... it is such a great thing to walk down the street, order a coffee of choice, and sit down alone or with friends.

While living in St. Paul there was this restaurant just two blocks down. They had the best french toast, and oh man the Eggs Benedict. anyways, waking up late on a Saturday afternoon and walking down the street to this place was a treat.

I'd get my breakfast and some rocket fuel to get me going... Sadly, it closed soon after opening.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Absolutely

A lot of people get down on starbuck's for being such a big corporation, and I see their point. If there was a good privately-owned cafe in my neighborhood where I could get a great cup of coffee and just sit and read or people-watch for hours, I'd want to support it. But there's not, so Starbucks it is.

I think sitting alone in a cafe is one of the great joys of urban life

top topics

<< 1   >>

join