It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Blizzard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In case anyone is interested in the Dust Bowl that happened in the heartland of America in the 1930s, the History Channel will air "Black Blizzard" sun oct. 12 and sat oct. 18.

The reason I bring this up is because I had a bit part in the production.
Look for the grey bearded geezer in the floppy felt hat and granny glasses.

This was shot in New Mexico, at a movie ranch called Bonanza creek.
This was the most miserable shoot that I have been involved in out of 12 TV and Movie productions.
Constant sand and dirt blown by wind machines.

The other TV series that I worked on were "Breaking Bad" and soon to
be on cable, "Easy Money" and "Crash"

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It is strange to hear that you had a miserable time on the Black Blizzard project. Everyone I spoke with enjoyed the special effects and the way they were treated on-set. I'll be sure to keep your comment in mind next time I see you at one of my casting calls.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hi, G.

I'm not saying the extras and cast were treated badly; we were treated as well as most production companies treat the extras and crew.

However I didn't enjoy the wind machines even a little bit.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I appreciate the clarification.

See you on T.V.!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
As a long-time photographer of rural NM and Oklahoma buildings and farm paraphernalia I am very anxious to see this production. History Channel usually does a great job so I hope the same is true for this one. KPK

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I usually watch the history channel a couple of times a week.
I'll look for you!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

"If it was easy everyone would be doing it" (old Hollywood aphorism)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ok, so I enjoyed this production..however, it would seem they did not explain what the farmers (and national policy makers) should have done to prevent the dustbowl conditions. Not farming the high plains? Only cultivationg a portion of the great acreage in this area in mid-America? The planting of another crop than wheat? The rotation of crops? WHAT???

Give me a yell at [email protected] you like.

--Doc

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Whaaa, I tried to find you, but there always seemed to be so much blowing dust that obscured the actors and sets. Why would someone shoot in such inclement elements??
hahaha...wheez...gotta find amusement wherever I can these days...

MrD and I loved this production. It sent a chill over me, however, thinking that errant human thinking about our environment seems to be occurring again. Are we doomed to repeat crap? Or are we just doomed as a species?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
D, I know, I only saw me for a fleeting instant. I think it was me; I think I was in that scene but I can't be certain.

Anyway, extras, or "background" as we're known in the biz, are just there as human wallpaper to add an air of cinematic authenticity as it were. That being the case; I was exceptionally pleased with my performance.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Me, I loved their dust machines, esp. the compressed air dirt ejectors ...but I seriously wanted to take over the special effects and re-do everything much differently. Suddenly rip the side of a 30ft giant bag full of fan-stirred dust! Get an old car up on plastic blocks and charge up the whole thing! Reschedule the shoot on a week when humidity was much lower! Aaaaaaaaa! (Our electrostatics demonstrations barely worked at all.)

- BillB

top topics

join