It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash for gold commercials

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was just wondering if anyone else was getting a funny feeling about this commercial. It plays quite often here in the Southwest. I am wondering if it plays all across the country. In the commercial, they say they will give you cash for all you gold jewelry and what not and that they melt it down.

My premise is that as the dollar is tanking, "they" will be more than happy to strip America of all its gold while paying you the worthless dollars they control anyway. And as the dollar goes down, their wealth increases and is replaced by a safe form of wealth.

Maybe it is far-fetched, but then these are strange times. Wondering who is behind that commercial.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
i live in cali and have seen these too on my cable network and was wondering the same thing :/

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The commercials play here in the Southeast(Florida). I often laugh about them because I could never imagine that they would give you enough money back for your gold. My favorite is the one where the lady says that she sent in her engagement or wedding rings from the previous marriage and received money the next day.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spamz

Not far-fetched at all. As a matter of fact I was going to start a thread on this awhile back but it slipped my mind.

Peace

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Wow same here! I saw the commercial a few months ago and immediately though, wow wouldn't that be a perfect way to hoarde all the gold for yourself if you were the FED or whatever. Good post.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
These commercials ran back in 1974 during that recession and again in the 80's after the the stock market crash(which was much worse than the one we had Monday. True, we had the largest one day point drop, but percentage wise, it was nothing compared to black Monday.
It always happens when the price of gold rises.
Most folks don't realize there ain't all that much gold in those old wedding rings and bracelets.
I'm sure most people are really amazed (and pissed) at how little they get!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This guy is a local celebrity around here almost.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
lol it's funny that you posted this

i have been seeing those commercials quite consistently the past couple of months and the first thing that crossed my mind the first time i saw it was, "if i owned any gold i'd be holding onto it right now"

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I equate the farcical reaction to receiving the check in the mail portrayed by the actors in these commercials to someone who drops 65$ worth of quarters in a slot machine, and on the next drop they get back 75$ and they're peeing all over themselves in ecstasy.

Peace

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well, everyone knows that the aliens need gold from this planet. This is obviously a ploy by them to get our resources!

Seriously, these people realize that the dollar is tanking and gold is rising. Simple as that. We get those all the time in Cali and they are so annoying. Idiots that give up up their gold deserve to get ripped off.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There is only two reasons to sell your precious metals; to eat food or get medical services in an emergency.

Other than that, save it for when you really REALLY need it.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's worrying that this is shown in the UK also.
Wonder why...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
New York City here and this commercial has also been playing all the damn time here.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
James 5:3
Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.

Are we really living in the Last days ... oh goody hope so.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I see it on TV often in Salt lake City Utah to.......

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I've been seeing them for about the last year, though they're airing MUCH more frequently in the past month or so.

Gold Kit, that's the commercial. "Call now for your free gold kit!" They send you a prepaid envelope and some brochures and stuff, you plop your gold jewelry into the envelope, and they send you a check for a fraction of what the metal is worth.

Precious metals are getting hard to come by, and with fiat currency's long term value in question, people are stocking up like crazy. These places, along with pawn shops and independent jewelry/coin shops, are paying pennies on the dollar for "scrap" gold which they either melt down themselves or resell at a profit to companies that will melt it down.

It's the Gold Rush of the 21st century!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak
New York City here and this commercial has also been playing all the damn time here.

South Florida here,

I think this is the most ridiculous scam ever. It's not only on the TV down here, but on several large highway billboard signs on the Interstate.

Stop and think for a moment....

Home burglaries happen all the time, and most crooks know they might get caught if they take their stolen gold to a local pawn shop for cash.

Well, duh, lets make it real easy for the crooks to get cash for your Grandmothers family heirloom stolen jewelry.

The ads should say, "Highest prices for your stolen gold jewelry"

And also, you know they will say, "Oh sorry, the gold you sent is only gold plated, so we can only send you a total of ten dollars for the 5 pounds of metal you sent us"

Crooks stealing from crooks.

Ahh, only in America....

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I am in Sydney (Australia) and there is an advert on TV here too...

What the bloody hell is going on...

Like someone else suggested...hang onto your gold, you may need it for
emergency currency.

I think only foolish peeps would do this and I do not reckon they would even get paid market value.

just a thought
res

[edit on 1-10-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
well gold is the hedge for the crash cycle and if we keep paying out at the current rate of what 4 trillion a month ... well thats support Feburary as total collapse so what do you do.... ?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My neighbor 'sent in her gold jewelry' and couldn't believe how much she got ripped off.
She sent the check back and got her jewelry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join