It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anxiety Detection Screener by Department of Homeland Security

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Anxiety Detection Screener by DHS

freeinternetpress.com

Although in its infancy, the next generation of passenger screening technology being developed by the Department of Homeland Security detects travelers' anxiety levels.

USA Today's Thomas Frank reports:

It may seem Orwellian, but on Thursday, the Homeland Security Department showed off an early version of physiological screeners that could spot terrorists. The department's research division is years from using the machines in an airport or an office building�” if they even work at all. But officials believe the idea could transform security by doing a bio scan to spot dangerous people.

The Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST) works much like a polygraph test, looking for sharp elevations in body temperature, pulse, and breathing rate as passengers file past video cameras with scanning technology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-10-2008 by oconnection]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Watch out for the the thought police! This sort of thing reminds me of Minority Report. So if you get in a fight with your spouse before you go to an airport or government building the thought police will swoop you up? I have many more questions then this provides answers.

Have our leaders become so paranoid they need to protect themselves from people with bad thoughts? I think they will find the masses will be rounded up because anxiety is rampant esp. in this day in age.

They play on our fears, control us through fear, but for us to have any fear or anxiety will now be looked as a possible terrorist? Scary!

freeinternetpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, at least we'll be safe.
So glad we live in a free country. [/sarcasm]

S&F

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Man you guys! Don't you know soon there will be airlines for the rich anyway and only they will require such advanced equipment to protect themselves their families and their assets. Us riffraff will be thrown together on dilapidated 30 year old jets with no screening equipment piloted by the FAA rejects with spotty records. K gotta go run to the store to buy me some freedom burgers, god I love freedom.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So if I am afraid of flying I will be seen by this system as a potential terrorist?

don't they get it?

They create terrorists with actions like this...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
So if I am afraid of flying I will be seen by this system as a potential terrorist?

don't they get it?

They create terrorists with actions like this...

Only terrorists should be afraid of flying because you know that you have a bomb ready to go off. A true warm blooded AMERICAN would never fear flying because we soar like the golden eagle of our country's origin!

[/sarcasm]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusdrak

This is an anxiety scanner so if you have a fear of flying or have a phobia of people, ect, if this works right it will trip an alarm.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I predict an increase in Xanax prescriptions and sales.

*scurries off to call the doctor*

[edit on 10/1/08 by GirlNextDoor]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Does this mean that the terrorist groups will be investing heavily in xanax?

yes, get your valume ready folks or you will end up on HSs' list.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantine70
Does this mean that the terrorist groups will be investing heavily in xanax?

yes, get your valume ready folks or you will end up on HSs' list.

Hilarious how I never thought how easily this pathetic system can be fooled. I can see the commercial now:

1. Invest in state of the art anxiety detection module: $10,000,000
2. Hire special trained crew to weed out prospective terrorists based on their anxiety emissions: $2,000,000
3. Watch as terrorists stream past the machine on $3 Valium/Xanax pills: Priceless

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I would defineatly trip the alarm if I was going to fly. I hate flying, so I will not trip an anxiety alarm there. I would rather drive to visit relatives and friends and enjoy my local area for vacations.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Having done some work in interrogations, I can tell you that only the guilty stay perfectly calm under close scrutiny. So how well will this actually work? It'll work great actually, but not at catching terrorists. It will work to instill fear and as a catch-all to establish probable cause.

[edit on 10/1/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

That was my thought, too. It's just going to increase the anxiety level of those who are already anxious and afraid.

So unless it actually can read our thoughts and can differentiate between flying-anxiety and malicious intent, it seems like a waste of money.

The best solution, really, is for everyone to fly naked.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yea that's another good point, it's the INNOCENT people that are the most nervous. I mean you put a family man with kids who's earned an honest living all his life never been in a fight or did a single drug through one of these machines and he'll crap bricks. You put a terrorist who spent 3 years in an AlCiaDuh training camp and killed over 20 people through it and he probably wouldn't flinch!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusdrak

Yea it seems in it's current state most of the victims of this will be innocent people. But government in all it's wisdom is going through with this plan.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Here was my proposal a month or two ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You know who drug smugglers like to use as "mules?" People who are already used to going through the procedures. So much easier to ignore that pound of coke in your crack when you're already used to being grilled by security, police, whatever.

[edit on 10/1/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ive got an anxiety disorder, guess Id be flagged as a terrorist everytime.
Wtf do people with disorders do?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Jeez what happens when they decide all of us are terrorist if we do not comply with a Police State? What happens when they turn the technology that is supposed to protect us on their own people? I shudder at the thought. This is definitely Orwellian. I don't care who they intend to use it on now, the possability that it could be used on us is there.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I actually have social anxiety disorder. Does this mean that every time I try to fly somewhere, I'd be subjected to time wasting special scrutiny? As if that won't exacerbate my condition. Silly things too, can be made of amazing technology.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It would be much better if they just let people on planes without screening them or their bags. Imagine, if the FAA operated on the honor system - not giving up our liberty for a certain amount of security, we'd all have the liberty and security we deserved...

we do what we must because we can
for the good of all of us except for the ones who are dead
but there's no sense crying over every mistake
you just keep on trying until you run out of cake
and the science gets done and you make a neat gun
for the people who are still alive

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sincere right now
even though you broke my heart and killed me
and torn into pieces
and threw every piece into a fire
as they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!
Now these points of data make a wonderful line
and we're out of beta, we're releasing on time
so I'm glad I got burned
Think of all the things we learned for the people that are still alive

go ahead and leave me
I think I prefer to stay inside
maybe you'll find someone else to help you
maybe black mesa
that was a joke, haha, fat chance
anyway this cake is great, it's so delicious and moist
look at me still talking, when there's science to do
when I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you