It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medvedev approves plan for Stability-2008 drill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Medvedev approves plan for Stability-2008 drill

news.xinhuanet.com

MOSCOW, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Saturday endorsed a plan for the Stability-2008 strategic exercises, the Interfax news agency reported.

snip

Serdyukov told reporters on Friday the Stability-2008 drill will be held from Sept. 22 to Oct. 21. The scenario of the exercises was developed with the involvement of a broad range of Russian authorities and the Defense Ministry of Belarus.
(visit the link for the full news article)

====
Mode Edit: Fixed headline to reflect link.
Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/10/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Russia is currently involved in an military exercise with Belarus that will practice the deployment of armed forces, the rollout of troops to localize and stop armed conflicts, terrorist operations, and to mitigate natural and man-made disasters.

Why has the mainstream media not reported on this large exercise? Even on internet very few sources report about Stability 2008.

A former Dutch intelligence agent says it is remarkable indeed. He says over 50,000 participant take part in the exercise that will last from 22nd of September til the 21st of October. All important units as well as the entire military staff will be present. The strategic air force and strategic missile groups will also take part which means that the nuclear component is clearly present. The exercise will be held from the borders with Poland to Siberia. The theme of the exercise is the development from a crisis situation into an armed conflict. A clear but ominous message.

On the third day of the exercise, a third nuclear element will be added to the exercise: submarines armed with nuclear warheads. Units from the Northern fleet will be taking place from Wednesday.

On the fourth and fifth day a large scale missile and air attack on Moscow and surroundings will be beaten off. Besides war planes, the modern missile defense systems S300 and S400 will be used.

Stability 2008 is not a normal exercise, considering the scale and the participating elements as well as the recently increased tensions between Russia and the US. The exercise has a clear purpose: we are able to defend ourselves and will do so when necessary. But there is also another message. Because all facets are active there is a possibility to swiftly move from an exercise to a real scenario, the underlying units will then be activated. The message is that Russia considers a crisis situation might occur in the coming weeks until the 21st of October Russia wants to be able to prepare to such a crisis situation if necessary.

This, the recent active deployment of US forces at home and the economic crisis could very well indicate something is to happen

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I see a great announcement, and a wake up call in here!

So, this could be the real reason for highly grown Russian activity in recent days, and in MSM Media its just based on focus: "Russia is a newborn danger!"

Thanks to you from Info.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I don't know whether this should be a wake up call. At least it makes us aware something could be about to happen in the coming weeks.

We're living in interesting times, my friends.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I find the implications frightening. And the timing seems to correspond with numerous theories out there that the real brunt of the economic collapse will happen in October, which -- according to some CTists, including Alex Jones -- will percipitate the Bush administration to declare Martial Law, cancel ("postpone?") the elections and enact REX 84.

If the collapse comes down to a worst-case-scenario, America may be bankrupt and unable to fund our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. That may mean a hasty and sudden withdrawl from both countries, which in short order would create a chaotic vacuum. Maybe Russia sees an opportunity to sweep into Iraq with Iran's blessings and control Persian oil access.

Another frightening prospect is that Russia is positioning itself to counter a U.S. or Israeli attack on Iran.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is indeed an major exercise on a very large scale. Aparantly the Russian battlecruiser that set sail for Venezuela is part of this exercise (it is currently docked at a Syrian port). That fact that Belarus is taking part in it - also shows that Russia and Belarus will be major military and political allies in the future.

However I would rush to form any real war scenerios concerning this exercise. It is thoroughly monitored by reporters, and all of the plans are laid out in detail in advance. If Russia was truly planning something, they wouldn't make it this obvious and publicized.

This exercise is definitely a sign from Russia, directed at US and NATO. Russia refuses to sit by any longer, while NATO and US creep around the world. It appears that Putin and Medvedev now have assurance that Russian economy is strong enough, and are shifting focus to the military. And there is nothing inherently wrong with that - Russian military is in desperate need of reform and upgrade.

So no need to fear any WW3 or anything apocolyptic. Russia has already indicated that it plans to rebuild its military, and that is what is doing. We will see more exercises like this in future, and eventually people will get used to them. I think this exercise is more about logistics and communication than anything else. This also isn't the first exercise of this nature - Russia has been holding more and more similar exercises in recent years.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
I don't know whether this should be a wake up call. At least it makes us aware something could be about to happen in the coming weeks.

Well it's a wake up call that Russia plans to reestablish its powerful military, and will no longer yield to NATO's advances around its borders. It's also a sign that Russia is rapidly restructuring if not outright rebuilding its military, in efforts to modernize it.

As for the coming weeks - don't count on anything. This isn't the first large exercise by Russia, it isn't the last. Much of the exercise is held deep within Russia's borders.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
This also isn't the first exercise of this nature - Russia has been holding more and more similar exercises in recent years.

Can you name other examples of such exercises in recent Russian history which were similar to the number of units, the geographical area and the time frame of this exercise?

Particularly, the time frame sounds unusual to me. Most exercises or war games last for days or 1-2 weeks only.

Do you have any clue when proposals were made for this exercise?

MOSCOW, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Saturday endorsed a plan for the Stability-2008 strategic exercises, the Interfax news agency reported.

It doesn't seem plausible to me that Medvedev approves such a proposal just one or two days before it actually starts. Normally such proposals are approved a few weeks before the exercise takes place.

That's why I think that Russia expects troubles might be about to happen in the coming weeks. Hopefully and likely nothing will happen, but they will be fully prepared and ready to defend/retaliate
if necessary.

Perhaps it is related to a possible airstrike from Israel and the US on Iran.

10/1/2008 - PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. (AFNS) -- For the first time in its existence, U.S. Northern Command is gaining a dedicated force to respond to potential chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and high-yield explosive (CBRNE) incidents in the homeland.

"We are now building the first of three CBRNE Consequence Management Response Forces," said USNORTHCOM Commander Gen. Gene Renuart. "On the first of October, we'll have an organized force, a trained force, an equipped force, a force that has adequate command and control and is on quick response - 48 hours - to head off to a large-scale nuclear, chemical, biological event that might require Department of Defense support."

The CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force, or CCMRF, is a team of about 4,700 joint personnel that would deploy as the Department of Defense's initial response force for a CBRNE incident. Its capabilities include search and rescue, decontamination, medical, aviation, communications and logistical support.

www.af.mil...

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Good thread.

Could it be linked to this?

Georgia's Involvement in Iran War Will Jeopardize Russia's National Security - Patrushev

(Source: Daily News Bulletin; Moscow - English) MOSCOW. Oct 1 (Interfax) - Moscow says that the involvement of Georgia by the United States into a military operation against Iran will pose an additional threat to Russia's national security.

"If it decides to carry out rocket and bomb attacks against Iran, the U.S. will need loyal allies. And if Georgia is involved in this war, this will pose additional threats to Russia's national security," Russian Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev said in an interview that will be published in the Izvestiya newspaper on Thursday.

When asked what he thought about a theoretical situation whereby Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili confused U.S. far-reaching plans to carry out rocket and bomb attacks on Iran from Georgian territory, Patrushev said: "If the U.S. does decide to begin an armed aggression against Iran, then Georgia is not the only place, from which they can theoretically attack the country. But your version too has the right to exist."

"And the U.S. president's speech at the United Nations General Assembly contained words of gratefulness to Georgia and Ukraine for courage and sacrifice," said the secretary of the Russian Security Council.

(istockanalyst.com)

UK prepares for World War III

FIGHTER jets, infantry troops, destroyers and submarines will converge on Wales next month for one of the largest military exercises of all time.

The two-week exercise – codenamed Joint Warrior – is designed to recreate a scenario in which Britain and other sovereign nations go to war against a “state-sponsored terrorist movement” – using a vast array of lethal modern weapons.

Taking place between October 6 and October 16, it will provide coordinated training for all three UK Armed Services, plus forces from EIGHT allied nations.

The whole of Wales has been designated as a flying area for the exercise, while so-called “managed danger area” ranges at Castlemartin and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire and Pembrey near Llanelli will be used for ground strafing, bombing and missile practice using live ammunition.

(Rest of the article: walesonline.co.uk)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I would like to add the following relevant link to this thread:

Army alert #london#

This is very worrying indeed, i live in London england, im in Ireland at the moment, its 6.30am, just got a text message from my mum saying that about 20 army trucks just drove past my house in london, Paddington Area, Has anyone else seen anything, this is not normal.. As i have lived in London for the last 16 years..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join