It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My small BOB, What have you got

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Below is the contents list of my smaller BOB pack, its very very basic, what do you folks have in yours ? photos welcome if possible.

Survival Small Bug out Bag

Cordura nylon multi pocket travel bag
Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager Tanto
AKM Bayonet (modified)
4 X magnification mini field glasses
Multi tool with plier head (Gerber 600 / Legend)
Multi tool with pruning head (Stanley)
Flashlight (Madjak) plus bulbs and CR123 batteries
Inova X 5 Flashlight (5 led) plus CR123 batteries
Samsung E 800 Cellphone
Assorted Chemical light sticks
Pack of candles
Water Purification Tablets
Rations (boil in bag and freeze dried)
Condiments and drinks sachets
Windproof butane lighters x 2
Hexamine cooker
Knife sharpener (Gerber)
Maps and scans all laminated (OS Landrangers 1:50,000)
Silva Type 4 compass in mils and degrees (6400 & 360)
Survival instructions
Survival book (Mini SAS Survival Manual)
Notebook and Pen
Waterproofed matches in film canister.
Magnesium block and striker
35 mm film canister filled with Vaseline soaked cotton wool balls
Medical kit (expedition size)
Spare prescription specs
Paracord 50 meters
Large Fiskars folding wood saw
Ziplock bags
Small tin with button compass, signal mirror, spare batteries
Telescopic baton
Shemagh / Bandana
Sony ICF-B200 Wind up / Battery powered radio / spare batteries
Tactical gloves (KONA)
Barnett Trident 75 LB pistol crossbow / spare prod/ strings and 50 bolts.
Personal Hygiene Kit (soap, razor, toothbrush and paste, deodorant)
Spare underwear & socks

I have a second bag that attaches to this one containing more clothes

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Don't have a *smaller* BOB. Just one size fits all for me

About 8-12 days worth of food - Boil-in-the-bag Military Rations. Electrolyte sachetes. Big bag of Ready-Brek (finely-ground oats).
Food really is the biggie here, we all know that hunger makes us do crazy things. So having a good staple of food to get to your first cache, fortress or gathering place is. Also wise is to have food that can be consumed safely without heating. With the oats you just add water and your stomachs a happy buzzball
Water Purifier (MSR)
Small self sparking stove and gas canister
Solar panel with charging kit.
GPS
Torch
CS Gas
Survival Kit (in Tobacco Tin) along with lighter and matches.
Within SK Small Swiss Army Knife, Magnesium fire-starter block, fishing line, needle and thread, normal and waterproof matches, scalpel blades for gutting and skinning small game and Condom.

First Aid Kit
Change of clothes in waterproof bag.
Boots Combat Assault (steel toe). I'll likely be grabbing the BOB with no time to put em on so I'll don 'em later instead

Kukri - A behemoth of a blade, too small to be a sword, too large to be a knife. Not sharp and bloody heavy, but I know it'll parry well, chop aside foiliage and deliver a deadly blow. I hope I'll never have to use it in anger, as if it comes to that I'm already at last chance saloon.

Fairbourne Sykes Dagger - The Kukri, being too big and not sharp enough for gutting and fine cutting, is where the FSD comes in.

Catapult & 50 BBs.

Side Compartments - Wash and shave kit - Yes, I know it saves time and effort by not washing and shaving but turning into Grizzly Adams isn't that wise when people will (in my opinion) be more trusting of a clean shaven dude. It could be just me and my army habit but I think clean-shaven implies a standard you have for yourself, that civilization hasn't been totally abandoned.
Hand warmer with charcoal sticks,
Spare batterys (rechargeables and non re)
Space blanket
2 x Chem lights
Tiny sleeping bag the ones that compress small
Water purification tablets. (probably the iodine type!)
Talc - Keep those feet looked after!
Vick Vapour Rub - This is probably one of the items you'll be scratching your heads at. One thing few people have even touched so far on here is the stench that will accompany SitX. Just imagine corpses and refuse all over the place and you'll know the smell will be awful. Even out in the country rotting vegetation and manure can be a pain in the nose.
Rub some Vick under your nostrils... happy days
Wet Wipes.

Finally got my GPS back from my Bro in Iraq

Crossbow + sling and bolts.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Nice Kit, I wish could fathom out at idiot level how to upload photos ?

NR

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Dont have one, i have a fair amount of gear, but i dont have a kit ready to go. I wouldnt want someonefinding it and thinking ive gone mad

Pretty impressive,both posters, but i would have a one of those emergancy handheld radios, for listening, and contacting, others alike.
And a Solar battery charger, with 2 sets of rechargable batteries.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Allthough not ready to go just yet, I have

change of clothes with base layer
tobacco tin with wood chips
zip bag with cotton balls and plasters
flint striker
2 folding knives (one gerber)
pack of 3 pairs of 60 denier pantyhose (never know, Good to make a rudimentary water filter, Or if it gets really cold....)
Never thought of that one did ya?

Call yourselves survivalists....

pot stand and meths stove (Octo Stove, small bottle of meths)
small aluminium pan and bowl with cup

As you can see I do need to get a few more things

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Dar Kuma]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the pictures mate. That kukri is a formidable weapon!

Im going to be putting my kit together soon... will keep you updated. I think I may be more focused on NBC protection than food. Its just a vague notion at this point.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma
Allthough not ready to go just yet, I have

change of clothes with base layer
tobacco tin with wood chips
zip bag with cotton balls and plasters
flint striker
2 folding knives (one gerber)
pack of 3 pairs of 60 denier pantyhose (never know, Good to make a rudimentary water filter, Or if it gets really cold....)
Never thought of that one did ya?

Call yourselves survivalists....

pot stand and meths stove (Octo Stove, small bottle of meths)
small aluminium pan and bowl with cup

As you can see I do need to get a few more things

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Dar Kuma]

Assuming the woodchips in a baccy tin are forfire lighting ?, you may find that cotton wool balls soaked in vaseline work a lot better when its wet n windy to start a fire with.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dar Kuma

"pack of 3 pairs of 60 denier pantyhose (never know, Good to make a rudimentary water filter, Or if it gets really cold....) "

waste of space, use your secondary pair of trousers, tie at bottom, rinse them in the water a few times first. Then boil the water that leaks through.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Let's see...a BOB.....

60L Gregory Deva pack...
3L Camelbak (water)
6 oz Aqua Mira (water treatment-for WEEKS!)
-5F Sleeping bag
Patagonia 3's long underwear
2 pair zip off pants
1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve shirt
3 pair good merino wool sox
Tarptent
Boots-comfortable, broken in, meant to hike in for MILES.
Whisperlite International stove- meant for all types of fuel.
2 lighters
Stormproof matches in a waterproof container w/striker
Maps/Compass
Multi-knife
Medical kit
DUCT TAPE/DENTAL FLOSS/Needles (for gear and clothing repairs)
50 foot of Kelty Triptease cording for various useage.
Exped Downmat 7- lightweight sleeping mat- good R-value, 4 season. (spendy but worth it)

A GPS and/or a cell phone or a Sat phone are optional in my view- anything with batteries is going to be worthless in short order unless you have a way to recharge said batteries or a solar charger perhaps? Those can be home made too if one has some know how.

I'm sure I can think of more, but I'm in the middle of moving at the moment and so pictures and my memory aren't exactly perfect at the moment. Sorry folks.

My only other comment here is don't forget the "10 essentials".

Peace and good luck all with your BOB's!!

Soul Sista

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Samsung E 800 Cellphone... you don't need that, and who are you going to call? Will it do any good? What are you going to do when it runs out of power?

I see my laminated maps idea did some good...

Look into a portable water filter... look that up on www.REI.com
Also military boots are worthless... look into a good pair of civilian hiking boots or low cut cross trainers, if you want blisters the size of golf balls on your feet wear the military boots.

My best friend that stayed in the Army after I left, was sent to Afghanistan last year, we were Infantrymen which means that we had to walk allot.... anyways the Battalion Commander there is letting his guys purchase civilian hiking boots... just so long as they all have the same kind of course. So what does that tell you.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousFinger
Samsung E 800 Cellphone... you don't need that, and who are you going to call? Will it do any good? What are you going to do when it runs out of power?
Look into a portable water filter...

Yes I do need the E 800 its part of my EDC as well as my BOB, Bobs are part of a multi facettted or layered system of prep, From your EDC every day carry kit, to your personal BOB, Vehicle Bob, domestic stockpile and your remote cache. I point out to youy that when 911 happened people were using their cellphones telling others of their situation right up to the towers falling. During one of the last underground train crashes two survivors managed to call for help with their cell phones after they realised not of the rescue teams were coming anywhere near the part of the wrecked tunnel they were in. Then consider that the disaster could simply be a storm, flood, or say epidemic, your cell phone may still be useful to call for rescue or supply drop.

BTw I sdpent 20 years in the LI, I was perfectly happy with the later issue boots, though not DMS, I ended up with Altberg Military boots for really #ty weather, but prefered Magnums for most jobs, our Co did not give a # about what boots we wore so long as they were black.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Hey, whatever bro...

Sure, a cell would be good if you got stuck on your roof because of a flood or something...

But I'm talking about the big disaster like martial law, if you take to hills like the rest of us, you ain't going to be using no cell phone.

I had to wear those same boot too man... they do have some good brands. I ain't wearing that crap ever again though, that's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousFinger
reply to post by Northern Raider

Hey, whatever bro...

Sure, a cell would be good if you got stuck on your roof because of a flood or something...

But I'm talking about the big disaster like martial law, if you take to hills like the rest of us, you ain't going to be using no cell phone.

I had to wear those same boot too man... they do have some good brands. I ain't wearing that crap ever again though, that's just my opinion.

Your spot on right man, Cells will be useless in the big event, and army boots, I wish I knew whos feet they designed them round, none human thats for sure

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Whoa!
I know you meant to put in some fish hooks and line - I just know you did.
Right?
Forget the bobber - just the hooks and line (make your own weights if needed)...
Or did I miss it when my eyes crossed looking through the list?

EDIT: Oh, and big nix on the deodorant and Vicks. At least not for every day use. You don't want *them * to smell you coming. No joke.

...taps...

[edit on 4-10-2008 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Of all the BOB threads on here, I have yet to see anyone with a Henry Survival rifle listed. Am I the only one that carries one of these things?

Henry

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
Of all the BOB threads on here, I have yet to see anyone with a Henry Survival rifle listed. Am I the only one that carries one of these things?

Henry

Naa some of us are Brits and some of us have to make do with the original model the Charter Arms AR7

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Good to know I'm not the only one with a breakdown rifle in my pack. Is the stock on that wood or synthetic, hard to tell from the pics on line.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
great lists!

don't forget zipties!! those things are priceless in all kinds of situations.
small and large ones.

** you can zip tie a (flat) motorcycle tire to its wheel and get to your destination pretty well actually.

priceless.

new topics

top topics

join