It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am proposing a law in my state what do you all think about it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I want to propose a law in my state and I wanted to see what you all thought about it and help me figure some angles that I havent thought of already...

Also, if you think it could pass...

I wish to Implement a mandatory license for those who drive SUVs. People who drive SUVs must pass extra requirments in order to operate an SUV on Arizona state roads.

It would be Unlawful to operate an SUV without a SUV endorsement on your license.

In addtion to this law it would be unlawful for anyone to operate a cell phone while driving an SUV without a handsfree device.

Benefits of this law.

Safety- 4,446 people died in SUV related deaths in the united states in 2003 about 1000 more than motorcycle deaths (which currently the state requires to have an endorsment to operate)

Revenue- Revenue would increase into the state from fines and certification courses, not to mention insurance rate would drop to consumers who own SUVs.

Go Green!- This would curve the SUV market even more and auto Manf. will then need to use more incentives to get people to buy SUVs...this would thus create higher MPG, rebates, and cash back options ergo...putting more money in the pockets of the American consumers.

Thats pretty much all I have so far.

I came up with this law on my way to work on my motorcycle, and I saw two people (both in SUVs) almost crash into each other...I started thinking...

I needed a motorcycle license to drive a vehicle that weighs about 500 pounds and can only sit one person...I can ONLY concentrate on driving (no cell phone, radio, or other people in the car) and if I were to make a dumb mistake, I am pretty much only going to hurt myself.

Where the person in the SUV is driving a 5000 pound monster that blocks the view of others, has a radio, GPS, cell phone basically the potential for several distractions at once, while carrying several people at once! And ANY joe smoche with a regular license can hop in one of these things and drive it down our roads? Doesent seem right or fair!

What do you all think?

As an SUV driver would you be willing pass a course in order to own your vehicle? I mean, I did...why cant you? When you are also FAR more dangerous to other drivers?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think that is a very good idea.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks Volt...I guess a lot of people dont care about this sorta thing, I think it would benefit everyone.

I mean truck drivers have to have a CDL...

The Gross vehicle weight of a Escalade is 7100 pounds (from the GM website)

I believe a drivers license was originally designed for an AVERAGE citizen driving an AVERAGE car or smaller light truck...

Not an oversized vehicle that out wieghs a honda civic by double...

Doesnt make any sense.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
More laws=more criminals! I bet if you and I sat down and talked we would probably agree on a lot of things. This would not be one of them. Peace!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Instead of SUV's, make it for vehicles weighing over ___. Also, why just SUV's for cell phone use. NO ONE should be using their cell while driving, no matter what they are driving! Just my $0.02 worth!

top topics

join