It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Magazine blatantly telling the people they are stupid for not wanting the bailout.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This is the most disgusting article I have ever read. It is blatantly tell you, that you are too stupid to understand the danger posed to the economy...

The $700 billion financial bailout package failed because most Americans wanted it to fail. Before the vote, members of Congress were getting calls 100 to 1 against the bill. The question is: why? It's easy to see why bailing out rich bankers doesn't feel super, but why, despite all the efforts of all of the country's leaders to fill them with fear of an economic apocalypse, did Americans not see a failure to act as a serious threat to their livelihoods? ADVERTISEMENT Traditionally, human beings are not great at assessing this kind of risk - a peril that has not yet arrived and that is, in any case, hard to viscerally imagine. Witness people's reluctance to evacuate before hurricanes, and weather forecasts portend a danger far easier to comprehend than failing investment banks.

Then it goes on to tell us because we are too stupid to listen to our leaders this is where their spin and their attempt to sell this to us went wrong...

But there are methods of communicating risk in a way that stills the heart, with words that inject dread into the populace. And Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Jr., Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and President George W. Bush used none of them. "The case wasn't made as to why the little guy needs this," says Paul Slovic, author of The Perception of Risk and a psychology professor at the University of Oregon. "The numbers and vague warnings are too abstract." The most effective warnings are like the most effective TV ads: easily understood, specific, frequently repeated, personal, accurate, and targeted. Paulson and his grim reapers managed only to repeat themselves frequently. They were not easily understood, partly because the problem is so complex. They did not personalize or target their warnings. And, as they themselves admitted, they did not know if their warnings were necessarily accurate, due to the novelty and unpredictability of the crisis.

Then it goes to tell us how to sell it to us. This is the most blatant and sick article I have read in a long time from the MSM that basically says STFU and do what we say.

Time has actually written two articles on it....
Article

and Article 2

On the bright side I hope these articles are read so the public can more easily see the spin for what it is when they try and shove the B*S* in our face.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Anonymous Avatar]

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

"The case wasn't made as to why the little guy needs this," says Paul Slovic, author of The Perception of Risk and a psychology professor at the University of Oregon. "The numbers and vague warnings are too abstract." The most effective warnings are like the most effective TV ads: easily understood, specific, frequently repeated, personal, accurate, and targeted.

because tv-commercials make you smarter about these things?

ha. great find, this is truly insulting. I'm guessing that if the writer of this article was such a great economist, and had such a great understanding, they would have spent more time explaining the issues in details, as opposed to patronizing the readers in a passive-aggressive condescending manner.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by scientist]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

Time magazine is the epitome of the power elite, it does nothing but its bidding. They are starting to realize that the propaganda machine is not working as well.

That's what this whole article is about...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That's the most disgusting offender and one of the most offensive things I've seen in a while but really this is the sentiment coming from all msm especially the financial news. I think some people may not fully understand the bill but most know from sheer intuition that it's wrong, that's how awful it is.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gateway

Time magazine is the epitome of the power elite, it does nothing but its bidding. They are starting to realize that the propaganda machine is not working as well.

That's what this whole article is about...

You really have no room to talk, Paulie.

But why would you even bother with TIME magazine? honestly.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

One more thing about TIME magazine. It made the CASE FOR THE IRAQ WAR. Certainly this type of media is only worth using to line the bottom of a bird cage...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I can't believe you are questioning their wisdom! You are one stupid SOB for buying into the fact that this bail out is some kind of reward for our pathetic manipulation of the system! Wait, did I say fact? Oops, Freudian slip there. I mean, your opinion. Sheesh, get a life. Stop messing with our great plan!

hehe

The desperation is quite evident here. I don't find the articles as abusive towards people. I simply see a childish attempt at belittling because they realize they have been caught. LOL

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Haha... I couldn't take it I had to write the lady who wrote the article. I am sure this will put me on the Red List for sure... but oh well.

This is what I wrote to her...

Are you f*n kidding me? You might as well have said, you the people are too stupid to understand economics.
'We' aren't buying it because this is a blatant power grab by the owners of the Federal Reserve and their middle management in the White House.

Maybe you should do some reading and homework before telling us to blindly follow our 'leaders'.

This bank failure is inevitable when you do Fractional Reserve Banking and the only underlying currency with the Federal Reserve is DEBT. The longer you put it off the more painful it is going to be. Did you know there was no such thing as a recession when our currency was backed by gold? Do you know why?

I have to assume one of two things, either you are less informed than the "people" you write about in your article or you are on the payroll of the people attempting to sell this illegal 'bailout' and you are attempt selling out the constitution for what is no doubt a small amount of money.

Either way I hope people read your article just to better inform themselves how to watch our for the spin that they use to try and manipulate the public.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Quetz, just wanted to let you know that I put 12 year old children with the education of a 5 year old on my ignore list. So...from here on out....

Anything you post goes right into the toilet as of course it should...

Here talk into this...

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
double post

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I have heard this over and over on TV news shows, by media, Senators and Representatives. We're apparently not smart enough to get it. We don't understand. We're acting like 4-year-olds, contacting our representatives...

I have also written a few letters chastising them for assuming the public's intelligence is approximately equal to a Chia pet.

What I don't understand is the pundits sitting around talking about how dumb the American people are. Who do they think is listening to their discussion??? Who's dumb here?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gateway

One more thing about TIME magazine. It made the CASE FOR THE IRAQ WAR. Certainly this type of media is only worth using to line the bottom of a bird cage...

LOL! Well said. Well at least they realize that Bush and friends are not good spin artists and as I said, they have given us some pointers at how to look out for it.

Find a Face Human beings are not moved by numbers or vague predictions of certain doom. They are moved by stories. "It's simple," says Mileti. "You get one family in America. You go to their house. And you paint a picture of what their life is like one year from now. You describe a kid who can't go to college, the house that can't be sold, the inability of anyone to use a credit card. They need to get a camera crew and go to Omaha and find a family."

Rebrand the Bill The word bailout is a deal killer. "People feel the breaks are being given to financial institutions and not to the consumer," says Slovic. He recommends calling it a Consumer Protection Act. It may be too late for this change to have much impact, but any change in language that acknowledges real people would be an improvement.

Shoot the Messenger If you want people to support the radical idea of rescuing rich investment bankers, don't send a rich, former investment banker (Henry Paulson) to convince them. And don't send a discredited, lame-duck President, either. As in normal life, people are more likely to believe the advice of someone they trust. There aren't many well-known experts in this field who aren't rich, but even Warren Buffet would have brought less baggage to the process than Bush.

Be Specific People need to know what will happen if they do nothing - or if they do something.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
People who read Time Magazine for the purpose of forming ideas about the world and country are not likely to know the truth. They are the kind of people who have been conditioned to consume, and consider debt as money.

Ask one about the Federal Reserve Bank and it's charter. Ask about the Global "Central Bank" system, as about fractional reserve lending, and derivative values.

Then tell me how they can make an 'informed' decision. Especially when their representatives know less, or won't ever acknowledge the truth about how the financial system scam works.

Remember, the 'investment' class of citizen, generally speaking, hold all the seats of representative government. This 'elite' form the 'base' of our leadership. Who's interest will they likely support?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Appreciate and agree with many posts above .. all duly Starred, as is their due.

Time Magazine

Ziocon rag, in my opinion

I very much enjoy seeing it sitting there, unwanted, unpurchased, rejected, in the supermarket and newsagency aisles

Doubt anyone would be prepared to soil their fingers even to push it aside
-- they just kick it to the kerb, as appropriate

Even if they were handing out free copies of Time, I doubt anyone would be prepared to use it for anything other than liner in an animal's basket

Time Magazine = Nil credibility

It's agenda has been clear for a long time

The allegedly 'ignorant sheep' are way too smart for Time

It's running at a loss

And the most effective means of forcing it out of circulation is via writing to those still silly enough to pay for advertising in its pages, advising that you will never buy their products ... and will encourage all you know to likewise boycott their products. Takes a while, but is very effective. And Time only exists because of paid advertisements.

So, if you revile Time Magazine (or any other ziocon publication) help kill them by putting their clients on notice.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I read this article earlier today on yahoo. It simply disgusts me that the media is labeling the bills defeat in the House as a failure. The propaganda is truly sickening and the fact that the MSM is saying we need this "rescue package" is a scam.

top topics

join