It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks a good investment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Let's say, hypotethically(sp?) speaking, that I wanted to invest $250k into stocks this week.
What would be an excellent investment? I know we have some financial experts lurking around here...help a chick out.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It is tough to tell what an excellent investment would be right now. Banks are very low and some have the potential to go under so they are very risky, but if the bailout happens it will be easy money had you taken the risk.

There are always safer (blue chip) stocks like Proctor & Gamble and energy stocks that will do fine nomatter how the economy is going. Go with food or things people need and cannot give up.

You could also go crazy risky and buy some Iraqi currency, the Dinars (IQD). This could go crazy once they're open to the global market and able to sell all of the oil found there and barrelled up (ready to go). Sadly, this is George W Bush's plan for "rebuilding iraq" and he has been spouting off about investing in dinars forever. Who knows? maybe there is money to be made. If Iraq did become a notable economy, it could help the U.S. in our slump too.

Who knows, thats just my 2 cents, I'm only 22 and have a lot to learn about the markets. Go safe and conservative.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
and by the way tattoos are really addicitive... I want another one so bad, just cannot make up my mind.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by vapedson

I'm too chicken to et one yet but i want one like my avatars.

i also need to invest this money so i hope someone here has some inside info on something

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Now is not the time, there is too much volatility in the market. There will be a time when the market becomes more stable that a move from securities (where your money should be now) to equities. There are a variety of factors of when this should occur, but most important in my mind is risk aversion, or the lack thereof. Many a person has taken a dive into the deep end of the market to surface sans their swimsuit, or their original investment capital.

And now, after that sage advice, here's another bit of advice... Don't take any financial advice from unknown hacks on the internet (including me), if any of us knew that much we'd be on a beach somewhere enjoying a drink with an umbrella in it and having our feet rubbed by the cabana boy or girl of our fancy.

Last tidbit... Tattoos are addictive... Stick to what you can live with into your dotage, and no matter what, no names, and no naked women... Trust me on that...

Fine Line Monkeys, not just for having a deal inked anymore...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

i wouldn't call them "hacks" there is alot of intelligent people here.
and i slowly withdrew most of my money, i am almost totally liquid now.

oh...and i just got back from having my feet (among other things) rubbed by the beach, i needed that vacation too.

new topics

top topics

join