It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antibiotics in a post "bad event" world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Under post-apocalyptic conditions one of the first things i plan to do is to search homes of the non survivors.
And one idem on my list is to look for medications.any and all prescription meds.

these i plan to store in under the best conditions i can find.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

You are right veterinary grade penicillin is used by the old rancher types around here it's what they've got on hand and it works fine for them.

I go to the local feed store and get penicillin to keep around for my dogs and cats. I get the syringes there too. I keep it refrigerated and it works great, the old timers by a powdered form that comes in packets and keeps longer.

I am not advocating the use of veterinary meds under normal circumstances but in an emergency it could save a life. The dosage recommendation is according to weight just don't overdo.

I get 100 ml. for $8.69 and the clerk throws in a syringe for free. I have never needed a prescription from a vet.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
CYA Discaimer: I am not a medical professional in any way and I am not advocating the use of these medicines by human beings

That said you can buy cephalaxin penacillin, eurythromicin, and more made for use in fishtanks and ponds quite easily in the us at least.

Right now I have a box of powdered eurythromicin packets sitting on my computer desk that I bought at petsmart. to treat a columnaris infection in my quarantine tank.

They come in 250 mg packets and are pure forms of the medication as any additives or fillers would likely ruin the beneficial bacteria living in your filter media or foul the water with contaminates and kill of the fish you are trying to treat.

While I have not used them for myself, I have used them for my cat over a holiday weekend when he had an owie that was quickly beginning to abcess. It worked like a charm and it kept me from having to spend the 500 dollars plus to go to the ER vet for simple wound care. I have also used them to treat chronic ear infection problems in my elderly dog in the same dosage and type as the vet would give me.

my plan is to buy cephilaxin/eurythromicin in either injectable or powder form from a pond supply company and stash it for a time when it might be needed. I'm sure in the meantime I will need it for fish at some point so I will just make sure I have a stash of the stuff that is in date at all times.

It very well could save my families life in a SitX type event.

<< 1   >>

join