It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Antibiotics in a post "bad event" world

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
So, I'm looking for information on how one would go about making antibiotics, such as penicillin or something to that effect, in a survival situation. Like lost in the woods or post-apocalyptic times. I think it would be very helpful to be able to produce this stuff when and if you are unable to purchase or aquire it by other means.

Any information would be helpful...




posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I do not see how person can make antibiotics without a high tech chemo/bio lab and equipment, plus knowledge of microbiology.
If there will be something wiping out current civilization i think that people will have to use natural plants proper, not extracted/modified chemicals. Externally garlic/oregano oil have certain, pretty effective in most cases, anti-biotic properties. In case of inner bacterial infection - like pneumonia or meningitis or other similar killers - effectiveness of natural plants will dramatically decrease and life will be threatened.



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I remember reading a post on this subject by a ats member. He said some cheap fish tank antibiotics could be used in a pinch. Don't remember which ones.

Don't know how safe that in either.



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Pure reagents would be hard to come by.

Penicillin is exceptionally hard to make without a lab. It needs an incubator, fermenter, distilling equipment etc.

In a pinch, it would probably be easier to use natural alternatives. eg. willow bark soup instead of aspirin.



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I figured it would be easier to use natural agents, does anyone know of a good book or website that offers a comprehensive list of these natural agents?

I thought penicillin was just bread mold, i mean I know the penicillin you get from the doctor is highly refined, but couldnt you make a weak version of it?



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan
 

Natural "antibiotics":
There are tons of books on subject - example:
thenaturalshopper.com...
There are even more sites on the issue - (but not all trustworthy):
example
www.reikinurse.com...
As for penicillin - its source is specific mold - Penicillium notatum. Not all molds are good. Can be located in advance and grown constantly. (relatively easy).
It needs to be grown in certain (this is easy) conditions and food supply.
It needs to be grown in relatively large amounts to have enough material for extraction. (needs effort, time, place and conditions - little problematic).
Extraction of penicillin needs to be exact - mold proteins and other stuff is not good or even can be toxic due to allergic reactions. (needs equipment, knowledge,reagents and time - tough).
After this phase is complete penicillin that is received can be only given in injection since its bio activity per os is extremely low. It will be extremely hard to make it into one of the forms that can be given orally. But even to make an injection form it will need solvent that can be injected and the preparation needs to be clean from impurities. To add another problem - the result will be highly unstable - even in a powder. Shelf life of days - weeks will be magnificent result. (very very hard , needs equipment and knowledge plus time).
Sorry if it sounds pessimistic. I am pharmacist and i most probably will not be able to do it in event of crisis, especially with basic equipment that will be available.
Edit - I forgot to add that even after all the trouble the result will be very narrow-spectrum antibiotics. It meens it will work only on certain few types of bacterial infections, by far not a majority. Better then nothing of course.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I was always taught in the army to watch our for those big brown puff ball fungi, apparently the stuff they puff out when you squeeze them is a type on pennecillin.



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge
 


Thank you for the links... I'll have to look through these tonight when I get off of work.

I see that penicillin is very hard to make, thats to bad... it would be really helpfull. I'd like to have a list of antibiotics that I can use in an emergency situation... All the guns, food and water in the world can't help you from a deep puncture wound...

reply to post by Northern Raider
 


Do you have a name or picture of this fungus by chance?

[edit on 1-10-2008 by XTexan]



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge
 


Thank you for the links... I'll have to look through these tonight when I get off of work.

I see that penicillin is very hard to make, thats to bad... it would be really helpfull. I'd like to have a list of antibiotics that I can use in an emergency situation... All the guns, food and water in the world can't help you from a deep puncture wound...

reply to post by Northern Raider
 


Do you have a name or picture of this fungus by chance?

[edit on 1-10-2008 by XTexan]


Afraid not, they are listed on Science weekly and Wikipedia, but looking quickly at the sites I cant see reference to anti biotics usage. They are brown leathery outers about the size of a grapefruit, I think if you rummage through a few homeopathy sites you may find a better source of info than my old brain. Sorry.



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Oh Yeah, Honey has antibiotic/ anti septic properties as well, However have a look at some of these sites

www.google.co.uk...



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Oh Yeah, Honey has antibiotic/ anti septic properties as well, However have a look at some of these sites

www.google.co.uk...



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Manuka Honey would be the kind of Honey that you want.




Leptospermum scoparium (Manuka or Tea tree or just Leptospermum) is a shrub or small tree native to New Zealand and southeast Australia. It is found throughout New Zealand but is particularly common on the drier east coasts of the North Island and the South Island, and in Australia in Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales. Manuka (from Māori 'mānuka') is the name used in New Zealand, and 'tea tree' is a common name in Australia and to a lesser extent also in New Zealand.


Honey made from this plant has the best known antibacterial properties, I have used it successfully against MRSA, Methacillin Resistant Staph infection with success

(Hospital cost for son, 2,000.00) Cost for me 49.95

Works great

I am currently trying to find out if it is viable to raise a small crop of the plant and bees appropriately in the USA



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Manuka Honey would be the kind of Honey that you want.




Leptospermum scoparium (Manuka or Tea tree or just Leptospermum) is a shrub or small tree native to New Zealand and southeast Australia. It is found throughout New Zealand but is particularly common on the drier east coasts of the North Island and the South Island, and in Australia in Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales. Manuka (from Māori 'mānuka') is the name used in New Zealand, and 'tea tree' is a common name in Australia and to a lesser extent also in New Zealand.


Honey made from this plant has the best known antibacterial properties, I have used it successfully against MRSA, Methacillin Resistant Staph infection with success

(Hospital cost for son, 2,000.00) Cost for me 49.95

Works great

I am currently trying to find out if it is viable to raise a small crop of the plant and bees appropriately in the USA


Good luck, I hope your venture works, and if you get a business going I will buy a jar.
NR



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In an upside down world real meds will be problematic. Antibiotics have a relative short shelf life and cannot be stored for prolonged times. However in times of need veterinary meds will work in a pinch, according to a book titled "Ditch Medicine". Something else to consider is the old sulfa drugs which have a better shelf life. Colodial silver is another option, if not taken for a prolonged period.

respectfully

reluctantpawn



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus
 


I have a friend with MRSA, they might be interested in that, do you have any links for places that sell it? How is it used? Is it internal or external only?

reply to post by reluctantpawn
 


I heard colodial silver will change your skin color or something like that... is that true?

[edit on 1-10-2008 by XTexan]

[edit on 1-10-2008 by XTexan]



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan
 


It will if used daily and in large quantities. I have been told if used correctly you will be o.k. In a survival situation though would you rather die from infection or look like a smurf?
I can't say from personal experience I don't know.

respectfully

reluctantpawn



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
In an upside down world real meds will be problematic. Antibiotics have a relative short shelf life and cannot be stored for prolonged times. However in times of need veterinary meds will work in a pinch, according to a book titled "Ditch Medicine". Something else to consider is the old sulfa drugs which have a better shelf life. Colodial silver is another option, if not taken for a prolonged period.

respectfully

reluctantpawn


One option is to obtain antibiotics in powdered form, instead of rerady made tab or liquid form, it has a much longer shelf life.



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Trying to make peniccilin or any other antibiotic would be a risky business unless you had a for real setup adn the power needed to do so. If you try to make it yourself you are far more likely to kill yourself from the infection you are going to redily introduce into your body.

Existing stocks of dried antibiotics do have decent shelf lives and my guess is the expiration dates are conservative at best.

That being said you should look for homeopathic alternatives as well



posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Can thes powdered and freeze dried antibiotics be purchased without prescription? If so where does anyone know a reliable website that can be used? Or a brick and mortar store?



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join