It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now people could be fined £110 for putting their litter in the wrong bin in the street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Now people could be fined £110 for putting their litter in the wrong bin in the street

www.dailymail.co.uk

Throwing your litter into the wrong street bin will risk an on-the-spot fine and criminal convictions, ministers said yesterday.

Town hall rubbish police, who already inspect household wheelie bins, have been given the power to hand out punishments for misuse of public recycling bins in streets or parks.

Ignoring the new rubbish regulations by, for example, putting crisp packets into bins meant for glass, or ice cream wrappers into bins for cans, will bring financial penalties and the risk of a court appearance if they are not paid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Can you believe this??

there you are, you, your wife and three kids all at some coastal town on holiday.. all three kids have a ice lolly.. each takes their own wrapper off, each puts it in the wrong bin....

BANG!! .. £330 on the spot fine... there goes your holdiay...

And waht about tourists who do this? Would they be fined? Would debt collectors chase them all the way back to their homes over some councils lazy approach at organising and sorting its refuse which we already pay council tax for them to do.

If the fine to drop litter on the streets is less, then we might just see more litter lying around than people bothering to put stuff 'in the right place'.

Yes, by all means, have seperate bins for different materials (they do in Frankfurt) but £110 fine !!!!

waahhhh

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Extralien,
did you happen to see the ITV "Tonight" documentary in relaton to recycling ?

I'm trying to find a copy of the programme

In a nutshell, the Tonight reporter was in India up to his neck in crap in a landfill site which had suddenly appeared next to a stunning nature reserve.

The crap that been dumped up to 25 foot deep then dusted over with a light coat of topsoil, was "Recycled Waste " from the "UK!!" and "USA".

Thats right, if you dont put the right item in the right coloured container you get a hefty fine, but then those containers are shipped off to the third world and dumped in a hole in a rainforest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These freeking big brother councils keep forgetting who pays their wages, it's time the public got their fat arses from in front of Eastenders and took responsibilty for what is going on.

Thank you for bringing this topic to the fore

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Can you believe this??

Yes, I can! This is Britain!

To be honest, I don't see that much of an issue with fining people with regards to putting people putting the wrong materials in the large recycling banks, although the fine is perhaps a bit harsh if they were legitimate mistakes. Although, if other people are conscientious enough to sort out their recycling and put it in the right places and then someone comes along and 'contaminates' the system, then it's a bit of a slap in the face to people like me who go out of their way to sort their recycling.

Where I live, we don't have bins, and I have to travel - on foot, as I don't have a car - to recycling banks on the other side of my town with my tins, plastics and paper. I see recycling banks abused a lot. Since it's becoming more difficult to dispose of some waste through domestic means - often stuff that should go directly to the tip - I've seen lots of domestic waste just being dumped around the recycling banks.

When it comes to litter bins in the street, I'm not so sure. I'd be more grateful that people used litter bins at all to be honest. It's #ing shameful how filthy the streets of Britain are. There's really no excuse for it.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

This is the link to the ITV Tonight programme "A Rubbish Service" when I saw this my blood boiled, they even traced a letter back from India to the addressee in the UK, the guy had put the letter in the recycling bin !!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.itv.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hmm

Just where does this actually happen?

See I live in Yorkshire - in the Huddersfield area, and work in Bradford and it doesn't happen there.

My family live in Cheshire, and it doesn't happen there.

So, where exactly is the Dailyscaremonger referring to?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Hmm

Just where does this actually happen?

See I live in Yorkshire - in the Huddersfield area, and work in Bradford and it doesn't happen there.

My family live in Cheshire, and it doesn't happen there.

So, where exactly is the Dailyscaremonger referring to?

I think it's a hypothetical thing that affects England, I'm not sure about elsewhere in Britain or the UK. One of things that exists on the books but isn't really being exercised. The Mail's story at least suggests that it's a new thing - "ministers said yesterday" and hence there's no stories of it 'actually happening' yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think it's a fantastic idea. Give people choice: drop it in a bin for 110 or drop it on the floor for less.

Joking aside, the idea has merit but the fine is too steep and recycling facilities are not widely available enough and lack demarcation. Also, I think the fine is under the pretext of deterring people who use public bins to dispose of domestic waste when their home bins are full (or they just want to hide something from the local Big Brother agent or spouse).

I see difficulties though: we're in a recession, money is tight so when the fine is enforced there will be a lot of disobedience.

If recycling bins were available for use, and clearly marked then I'm sure they would be used by most people. You only need to glance in most street bins to see that they are used already. Plus, why shouldn't people dispose of domestic waste in public bins where needed. If waste collection was properly done then the issuance of fines should not arise.

In the Netherlands, they have many more recycling bins than we have in the U.K. They embed them into the ground. The bit you see looks like a normal street bin, is the size of a normal street bin, usually has colour to show its purpose and a label for those who bother to read them. The below ground bit must be about 30 foot deep. Also, they're emptied regularly.

Why can't we use the same type of bins in the U.K? We're supposed to be comparably wealthy relative to population, land area and resources.

It seems that in England - despite our inventiveness, industrial capability, readiness to tackle change and our fantastic (innate) organizational ability (I've seen how other counties "organize") - we always seem to make things so bloody awkward for ourselves. I really find it difficult to fathom in any way other than deliberate idiocy. Perhaps we're just too stingy: save space, save time, save resources, save money, save whatever but cost ourselves in the long run.

On the brighter side, there's not much more that can be taken from us so life can't get too much worse before it eventually gets better.

new topics

top topics

join