It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top officers arrested over theft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Top officers arrested over theft

news.bbc.co.uk

Two high-ranking police officers have been suspended from their jobs after being arrested on suspicion of theft.

One female officer, aged 44, and one male, aged 54, were suspended from Sussex Police as a result of a criminal investigation, the force confirmed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
There is a saying 'One rule for them, one rule for everyone else'.

But it seems that this time, the rul for 'them' has let them down.

With public trust in the police force being diminished on a daily basis this is another nail in the coffin.

Time and time again, the police force that is supposed to be there to help everyone, is shown to have more holes than in it than a cheese.

It really must mean something when police officers 'turn bad'. We must be in a real bad state of affairs if police think they need to turn to crime to make ends meet or get just that little bit more comfortable in times of crisis.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Corruption in a position of power isn't all that surprising. I am getting tired of BBC reporting everyone as being "TOP" anything. "Top officers", coming on the heels of the "top banker" that was beaten to death yesterday.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

There is a saying 'One rule for them, one rule for everyone else'.

But it seems that this time, the rul for 'them' has let them down.

I'd like to push this idea even further if I may.

The killing or the assault of a police officer has traditionally been perceived as being worse than killing a civilian partly because it's an affront to what these men and women do and what they represent.

What I've never really understood is not only the 'slap on the wrists' method of punishing the police who break laws but why it's not actually viewed as being worse if a police officer commits an offence in the eyes of 'the law' for the same reasoning as I mentioned above: the idea of what these men and women do for a job and what they represent.

People are too complacent and generous when they compare sentencing (if it even gets that far!) with what the proverbial bloke on the street would get. We should be looking at harsher penalties, not the same as what you or I would get.

I particularly like this part of the quoted story:

"We are not confirming any names," the spokesman said. "We never disclose names until someone has been charged."

It's a shame the same privacy concerns isn't always applicable to everyone else. Come on Big Brother! If you've nothing to hide, hand over the data!

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

top topics

join