It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth May Exist in Giant Cosmic Bubble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Earth May Exist in Giant Cosmic Bubble

www.foxnews.com

Earth may be trapped in an abnormal bubble of space-time that is particularly devoid of matter.

Scientists say this condition could account for the apparent acceleration of the universe's expansion, for which dark energy currently is the leading explanation.

Dark energy is the name given to the hypothetical force that could be drawing all the stuff in the universe outward at an ever-increasing rate.

Current thinking is that 74 percent of the universe could be made up of this exotic dark energy, with another 21 percent being dark matter, and normal matter comprising the remaining 5 percent.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.abc.net.au

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
We seem to be in a relatively calm of part of the universe. What we see outside seem to be expanding faster than we are.
"One type of supernova (called Type Ia) is a useful distance indicator, because the explosions always have the same intrinsic brightness.

Since light gets dimmer the farther it travels, that means that when the supernovae appear faint to us, they are far away, and when they appear bright, they are closer in.

But if we happened to be in a portion of the universe with less matter in it than normal, then the space-time around us would be different than it is outside, because matter warps space-time."

So dark energy and dark matter continue to be the explanation for universe expansion.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This has to be one of the most amazing perception based theories I have ever heard, in regards to optical space images, and their actual distance/speed (ie, Light Years). I will definitely read through this further later today, and see if I can find anymore information on the theory. Good thread "plumranch"

new topics

join