It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush, Paulson Intensify Lobbying to Salvage Bank Rescue Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Bush, Paulson Intensify Lobbying to Salvage Bank Rescue Plan

www.bloomberg.com

The Bush administration is stepping up private pressure on Congress to accomplish what its public appeals could not: passage of a $700 billion bank rescue.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson spent the past day and a half on the phones and face-to-face with lawmakers and lobbyists, trying to change minds after the House of Representatives rejected the plan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
OK so the house killed this bill. Bush thinking this bill is a good thing and wants to defy the american public is sicking the lobbist on congress now.

The American public seen this Bill for what it is and have stood up and said we don't want a fascist take over of our Government. The house stood up for the little guy and now we will have to hold our breathe this week because the Senate will vote wednesday on the same bill the house killed then the house will revisit the bill later this week.

I saw on the local news today that congress is saying the public is now supporting this bill and that it will more than likely pass this time in house.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Look its plain and simple what needs to happen here.
All these goons need to be arrested, all there assets seized.
And they go to prison.As you see there is no end of the world market crash.
Its back up.They just want to steal more money.
Lock them up.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
There is a huge propaganda campaign out right now about this bill...

I've noticed that suddenly, the media is much more receptive, and is stating the the people are for this now. This is untrue, as a quick search of the internet will show you that the majority are still against it.

The thing that sickens me, is the fact that today on C-Span, I saw the Democratic Representatives speak of an alternative plan. One that gives assistance to the HOMEOWNER who is losing his home. They figured out a plan that will stimulate the economy from the bottom up... So far, I have not found any news stories, or have heard of this bill beyond the press conference the Democrats held today.

For some reason, and I can't figure out why, we are being "Groomed" to accept this legislation. Some news stations now are reporting that "people who oppose this bill, obviously don't understand economics". Pretty much calling people "Stupid" who disagree with our asinine commander in chief. And this kind of response from a news station that a day earlier, was quite skeptical of this bill.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

I am almost positive that they are going to pass it this time. Even though they are getting an overwhelmingly (I believe 8-1 against) negative response from the people.

I am curious to see what tomorrow is going to bring.

This quote from John McCain seems to paint it pretty well.

"Bipartisanship is a tough thing; never more so when you're trying to take necessary but publicly unpopular action. But inaction is not an option."

So, it should read "we don't care what the people want. We know what is best and we will do what we want."

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Regardless of how many people actually do not want this to go through, the media is saying that it is gaining support. I would like that list of people who support this crap. I wonder how many of those names are listed on cemetary headstones or are under the age of 18?
They are going to spin this until people actually believe that this is the will of the people. Dubya and company are going to pressure this into action because it is part of their globalist plan and for this to fail will hinder (not stop) their timeline. They need it to pass so that they can pass the POTUS torch to the new guy and a country that is in shambles, while they slink off to count the money they illegally robbed from the people of this government.

I know that it is considered popular to hate Bush, but my spite for him is not part of the pop-culture, it is genuinely mine. I hope he burns for his crimes against humanity.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
pass the torch? LOL

I think this major crisis might be just what bush needs to declare an emergency.

using a series of executive orders over the years, if there is a significant national emergency, Bush can postpone the elections...

He's given himself the means... lets see if he has the will...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

i'm thinking the same as you. they are going to throw some lipstick on it and get it passed.

i was never for this bailout. the CEO's that are in charge of these banks still get their golden parachutes. they hid in this bill that the limiting of CEO's pay won't happen until there is a new CEO and there is nothing to stop the Banks from giving the CEO his parachute before he dumps the Assets off on us.

We all thought that the bill that failed the house had lobbyist hands all over it well this revised bill will have more of their hands on it.

I'd like to see this list of americans that are for this piece of crap bill. but by time we confirmed that the list was bogus they'd have this bill passsed

And didn't these crooks get there money already? they fed dumped 630 billion in the market after the house vote so why do they need another 700 billion anyway?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I just wrote my congressman, which is a first for me. He voted no the first time, I hope he stays firm but I doubt it.

The golden parachutes are not really a sticking point for me. 20 million here or there is a drop in the bucket when looking at the scope of the bill. Yes, I think they should be sitting in a jail cell somewhere instead of getting rich but when push comes to shove it is a non issue.

The entire bill is a sham and the fed is extorting congress to pass it.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
yes the should be sitting in jail somewhere.

I wrote my congress man again because he voted for it the first time. told him i was not going to vote for him in Nov. and would organize support to keep him from getting re elected. So if he values his seat in the house he better vote no this time.

i was sitting here just now trying to figure out how they keep coming up with this 700 billion figure and the only thing i can think of is maybe our oil bill is due. this is the start of the new fiscal year and we spend $700 billion a year in oil. But that's something for another thread.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I believe the 700 billion was just some number they came up with because it sounds really big. No real significance to it, especially since it only limits how much can be out at one time. So, it is a blank check in reality.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I believe the 700 billion was just some number they came up with because it sounds really big. No real significance to it, especially since it only limits how much can be out at one time. So, it is a blank check in reality.

yah, they've actually stated that.

They didn't know how much they needed, but they knew they needed a big amount. so they just imagined up the 700 billion...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Considering the efforts being used to push this bill, we can plainly see that the investment class, fully represented in Congress and the Senate, are going to get what they want.

The Central Bank can simply continue to dilute the dollar. Notice the FDIC insurance cap increase being thrown about? I suspect it is a clear telegraphing of just how much inflation we can expect. 2.5:1. Let's see how that pans out, and how our foreign investors react.

The market will be manipulated further by the Fed and the oil prices will be adjusted b the World Bank to make this seem like 'a good thing'.

It's like watching the towers fall in slow motion, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
These banks and institutions are the ones who buy the treasury notes (US debt) and sell them on to others (foreign governments etc) right?

Now, if these folks don't have the capital on hand to buy the huge quantities of treasury notes that they currently do then wouldn't the US govt have a big problem raising money to finance it's deficit spending? Maybe they're so determined to get this bill through as they know that if it isn't passed they'll have problems financing the budget.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The way I see it, 'Give Paulson an open ended route to filch as much money as he wants, for as long as he wants, or else we crash the global economy'. That's extortion. And the American People have to pick up the tab, with no benefit to themselves. If anybody else pulled a trick like that, they'd be open to prosecution for larceny, blackmail, threats, a whole laundry list of offences. I can hardly believe those guys have the cheek to do this.It's amazing.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I don't disagree with you on this bill, but I will say that if our lawmakers truly listened to public opinion in every circumstance, we'd live in a much different world. The civil rights movement would have failed, sufferage would have failed, we'd have nuked Russia years ago. Popular opinion isn't always prudent or "right" and we elect representatives who will, at times, have to make unpopular decisions based on doing what is prudent and what is right.

top topics

join