It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you Google or Yahoo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
A lot of my coworkers think that I am insane when I tell them I refuse to use Google. I only have a few coworkers so it's turned into a bit of an office joke when they say 'Did you google it?' and I say 'No, I yahoo'd it.'

Click here for the full story:

Google in Washington

I realize that Yahoo may not be any better, but it doesn't seem like they are trying to take over the world. Am I the only one that has an issue with this? They already have privacy issues. They have already started dipping into the healthcare industry with Google Health. Users can now enter all of their personal private health information online. Now they have landed in Washington, screaming 'store all your private information with us'. Oh yes, that is so much safer than an employee's laptop.

This site is already crawling with the google search engine and many google references, where does it end? Google is not just dominating the search engines, they are dominating the internet. And then where will we all be? If you post something on YouTube they don't like, they remove it. There is no free speech where they are concerned. What happens to sites like this when Google has complete control over the internet and all the traffic that crosses it?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I use them both. I have had some problems with Yahoo downloads locking up my laptop. Does anyone have an opinion about Google "Chrome"?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I personally 'Yahoo!' guess I'm old fashioned. Google just doesn't appeal to me anesthetically and just seems too sterile for me... I happen to be a man of exquisite tastes!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You aren't crazy....in my eyes anyway. I just switched from Google to Yahoo two weeks ago because I don't trust Google as I believe they have an agenda and possible connections to certain alphabet agencies.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I use Yahoo. I just don't like google's layout and I've never heard a good thing about Google anyhow.

Short answer, it is.
Cuhail

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I guess im back to front.i used to yahoo .but it seems kid'sh now so i google.

If a time comes when google doesnt come up with what im looking for, i guess ill ask jeeves.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't use those two, or perhaps I do. My preference is Dogpile.com,it's a meta search which digs through the top search engines and returns to best results from them. So in essence I use allthe best search engines piled into one.

Never fails me, and my friend got me hooked a decade ago. My favorite virtual pet, the site gets
and a scoobie snack from me.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I use googoul out of habit and go from there if I don't find what I want. I doubt any of them can be 'trusted', esp. after the patriot act and whatever else they snuck through or, just decided to do.

Data mining has been around a long time. I know because my brother was doing it for a living for all sorts of people including the gov. before the internets
were even very popular. And no, I don't have many details and I doubt he would tell me anything juicy.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Oh boy I'm glad you posted that Dogpile link.

As for the question in the OP I almost always use Google,it became a habit(or addiction),so I didn't use anything else that much.

After reading the OP,I'm thinking that we should be more careful when we're dealing with something that's very popular or well known(Google,Yahoo,Youtube,etc).
Plus it definitely looks like Google is getting more and more powerful nowadays!
It makes me wonder if anybody has already used or abused that power to their advantage.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I use Google as a spell checker, when I'm unsure how to spell a certain word (which is often). So if anyone is spying on my search habits, they are probably thinking, "Wow, this chick can't spell".

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HERACAT
I use them both. I have had some problems with Yahoo downloads locking up my laptop. Does anyone have an opinion about Google "Chrome"?

i use chrome, i like it. it's fast

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I anything-but-Google.

I think there was a thread around here a while ago showing the Google founders being quite pally and informal around Bill Clinton. That thread included links showing that Google was a CIA front.

I think that could be true - think of the computing resources required to provide the service Google does, at the speed it does. It's a lot. A computing project on that scale if nothing else, might fall under the remit of the National Center for Super Computing.

Given the data that Google deals with, then it would not surprise me in the slightest if certain alphabet agencies had anything to do with it.

[edit on 24-12-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I used to use Alta Vista (whatever happened to that?), then I used Yahoo.... Now I only use google. I can’t stand the layout of the yahoo, plus whenever I try Yahoo it defaults me to the Australian one (which is yahoo 7) which is linked up with a Media channel here in Australia (Channel 7) and I can’t stand it!

Google all the way for me.

Mikey

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here, I want to show exactly why I used google instead of Yahoo (remember my yahoo defaults me to the Australian one). Look at both screen shots..... now which one would you rather use?

YAHOO

GOOGLE

Now what one would you use?

Mikey

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yahoo is very limited, and essentially cross-indexes the commercial high profile sites.

Metasearch engines like dogpile I find are a con. They don't do what they claim to do, and in the end, turn out to be shills for the commercial stratum.

Google has a number of advanced variants, including a scholar one that just checks boooks and articles. They even have a cool black screen version that saves on power.

Google may have shortcomings, but it's the most comprehensive thing out there by miles.

Mike F

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Always have used Google, and always will.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well, before google was born I used Lycos and Alta Vista, then I switched to yahoo for a while.
Started using google about 5 years ago because yahoo starting showing to many irrelevant responses.
Google is a superior search engine, it sucks but its true.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I google ... cause google doesnt flash adds and show me useless articles about celeb gossip.

Celeb gossip / reality TV / and MSM is the source of this nations problems

top topics

join