It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Assertion of Your Rights - THIS IS CRITICAL -We must Act Together!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I was just reading a story about an warranted police encounter instigated by standing in a parking lot. All said and done the owner of the car permitted the officers to search the car because "we had nothing to hide".
I understand the thought and feeling. In fact I too have permitted otherwise illegal searches of my person and vehicle because I knew there was nothing for them to find. The problem with this pervasive attitude is that it makes the notion that if someone does not consent to a search, they are in possession of something illicit - and as a result, are subject to manipulation of the laws until the officers feel they have legal right to search. i.e. in practice, THERE IS NO 4th AMMENDMENT. Therefore, in order for us to regain the protection of the 4th Ammendment,

IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU NEVER ALLOW OFFICERS OF THE LAW SEARCH YOUR PERSON OR BELONGINGS.

Regardless of nor having anything to hide. Someday you may have documents proving the chief of police is corrupt. But they get confiscated when found during a search you approved. Or whatever.
It's not that complicated of a concept. But people are weak and lazy and just want the encounter over with and so allow these violations and prejudices to embed themselves in our "norms" of behavior. DO NOT PERMIT SEARCHES - PERIOD.

PLEASE PEOPLE. SPREAD THE WORD. I BEG OF YOU.

[edit on 9/30/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I agree completly. However, won't they just put you under arrest and then search all they want?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HERACAT

That's exactly what they'll do (and have done). In a practical sense, we want to do two things: 1. Waste their time, make 'em look like jerkoffs, and irritate them. 2. Force them into a position where they arrest people on ridiculous charges in order to search, search, find nothing and be forced to "unarrest" the person (i've had this done to me - and the officer actually said, "un-arrest". lol) And we then file reports with internal affairs and with another watchdog agency i cant remember the name of - i'll edit it in later. the least we can do is hold the jerks accountable for their actions.

join