It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate to vote on financial rescue plan Wednesday DESPITE CONGRESS SAYING "NO"!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - Senate leaders have scheduled a vote for Wednesday on the $700 billion Wall Street rescue plan rejected by the House.

Majority Leader Harry Reid and GOP Leader Mitch McConnell say, however, that they're going to add a tax cut package already rejected by the House on Monday.

The bipartisan move caps a day of behind-the-scenes maneuvering on Capitol Hill over what sweeteners to add to the bill to attract votes from House Republicans.

news.yahoo.com...

America no longer exists....

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 30/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Mark my prediction HERE:

This is how they will Usurp the will of the people!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

This is why they will need to bring in the troops to make sure order is kept. They are usurping the will of the people.

THE REVOLT BEGINS NOW!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
We can only hope the Senate votes NO. I'm not sure how most of them will vote but I kinda think they will vote YES.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by The Revealer]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Just curious, but do senators get financial bonuses for their vote ratios?

I'm sure no senator that voted no would do a rethink and travel back to WDC just to reiterate their initial decision.

As I said, just curious about their performance-pay distribution. (i.e. how many are in the back pockets of corporations - who's the sugar daddy because Bush has little leverage surely)?

B

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just as an FYI to the OP to help you in the future not sound so ignorant.

The Senate is a part of Congress. The House Of Representatives are the other part. The 2 together are call the Congress.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Starred and flagged...

This copied from my posts in a different thread:

I found a confirmation, looks like their voting tomorrow night with 2 additions.

Senate to vote on bailout tomorrow — with an added tax cut

Just in: The Senate will vote on the bailout plan tomorrow night — with one big addition to the $700 billion plan the House rejected yesterday.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and GOP Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said they will include a tax-cut package already rejected by the House on Monday. The plan would also boost federal deposit insurance limits to $250,000 from $100,000.

Source

Doesn't look any better, how can we give tax cuts at the same time we give $700B away?

this is insanity

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
BOTH DEFAZIO AND KATPUR HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE THAT WON'T COST A DIME AND REQUIRES NO BAILOUT LEGISLATION.

I watched this, and they're plan sounds good

Senate Switchboard: (202) 224- 3121

Flood their switchboard with calls and let them know!!!

[edit on 30-9-2008 by XTexan]

[edit on 30-9-2008 by XTexan]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
An astounding lack of common sense tied into a single bill.

Spend an astonishing amount of money *annnnnndd* cut the source of that money.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Breifne
I'm sure no senator that voted no would do a rethink and travel back to WDC just to reiterate their initial decision.

Well, considering that only the House of Representatives votes (Monday), there is no rethinking or vote changing involved.

Bills can originate in EITHER the House or the Senate, after passing in one, it travels to the other to be voted on, then goes to the President.

1st years civics, I know, But we do forget, don't we?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What burns me up is that this Presidential election has screwed up our elected officials vision.

"A turd in a fine silk sock, at the end of the day, is still a turd." Michael Riggs

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
ATS is going overboard now

This is breaking news not breaking political news

this is happening too often now

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It does not matter anyway the economy is still going to collapse anyway it's to for gone. if only we had a world leader to step in and save us. E. U. maybe ! we are prime for take over.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by takeamericaback]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Bills can originate in EITHER the House or the Senate, after passing in one, it travels to the other to be voted on, then goes to the President.

1st years civics, I know, But we do forget, don't we?

The the Senate is offering "deals" to the House. A reduction in the AMT for middle income earners. An increase in FDIC limits. These could give some life to the bill in the House.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The the Senate is offering "deals" to the House. A reduction in the AMT for middle income earners. An increase in FDIC limits. These could give some life to the bill in the House.

No. The bill that originated in the House, HR 3997 is DEAD, it was voted down.

This will be a whole NEW BILL (SR ###) that will originate in the Senate.

It will, for the most part, be the same bill, granted, with enough changes as is necessary to make it something "new".

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
There is much more lobbyism in the senate than the house, plus they are more protected than the house representatives too. The financial market who pays them big cash in funding will obviously tell them what to vote and get their vote and your money. Plus you are already in debt to them through banking loans from before too.

It's amazing to see how far the greed of some people can go. Now thats what I call efficient businessmen, and also s what you can literally call "pwned".

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
as I understadn it's the same bill

because majority voted nay but the floor was still open even afterwards

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

No. The bill that originated in the House, HR 3997 is DEAD, it was voted down.

This will be a whole NEW BILL (SR ###) that will originate in the Senate.

It will, for the most part, be the same bill, granted, with enough changes as is necessary to make it something "new".

Yep. I know. New bill with a couple of new shiny things attached to make it more palatable to the House. The article also says that some House members may be having second thoughts about their nays.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The Senate will strike it down.

I can't wait to see how the 4 Candidates for the White House vote...

I know all four will vote Y on their ballots.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
They will just keep shoving it in people's faces and repeating the same mantras while giving "freebies" to members in order to entice them to change their vote... they will make the bill longer, more complicated, and add as much onto it as they can to cover up the same concept, until the houses will cave and vote majority for the bill... possibly before then, initiating a "false flag" emergency scenario (major depression, some sort of threat to security...) in order to sway the vote towards unanimous YES in a panic.

Who knows what those liars are up to?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I believe the bill will pass that the Senate has drawn up for vote. You know, I don't like our money being given to rescue them but if they will put those shady lenders in jail it will not hurt so bad. Also I don't like Government being involved in any kind of regulation of business's. But in this case I make any exception. Sorry to go off topic! I say the Senate will pass their bill to keep peace in the land.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join