It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jodhpur stampede kills 150

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Jodhpur stampede kills 150

www.tribuneindia.com

The sacred nine-day festival of Navrataras began on a tragic note with 150 dead and over 200 injured in a stampede at the narrow tract to Chamunda Devi temple in the Mehrangarh Fort in the wee hours today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is a sad sign the the times we live in.
This is a tragic event at the best of times, but this tragedy is because of a 'rumour' of a bomb.

The trouble was triggered by a rumour about a wall of the fort collapsing whereas it was only a railing separating men and women's queues that had fallen apart due to the rush.

Amid the false alarm, somebody shouted, "Bomb, run for your life". All hell broke loose.

As I have said before, the job of the terrorist has been made easier. All that is needed these days is the mere mention of a bomb to cause havok.

www.tribuneindia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
There are more dead, and I am guessing more to come as a number of thise injured may not recover.
This is a terrible thing to happen.
I did not know this part earlier....

The temple floors were slick with coconut milk as thousands of devotees broke coconuts as religious offerings, causing pilgrims to slip and fall as they scrambled to escape, said Ramesh Vyas, a pilgrim who was standing in line.

But it is aparently not an isolated incident as it turns out

Deadly stampedes are a relatively common occurrence at temples in India, where large crowds — sometimes hundreds of thousands of people — congregate in small areas lacking facilities to control big gatherings.

Death toll mounts after religious stampede
Throw the word bomb around and your chances are likely to increase...

[edit on 1/10/2008 by VIKINGANT]

new topics

join