It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If bailout bill passes the House, will it pass the Senate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Assuming a newly revised bill is coming after the vote down, even if the Bill passes the House, it still has to contend with the Senate.

(The Politico) Three Republicans in a row have marched to the Senate floor today to call for the upper chamber to take up and pass the $700 billion economic crisis legislation, saying the Senate needs to send the right message to the world economy after the effort imploded on the House floor Monday.

Despite the volatility of the issue, Senate Republicans are now pushing for the Senate to forge ahead on the legislation. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) says there are no immediate plans for the Senate to take the lead, adding that Reid was going to "proceed very cautiously" given the failure of the bill in the House.

But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), seemed to step out in front of the situation this morning, despite facing resistance from conservatives in his caucus and an increasingly tough re-election back home in Kentucky.

"I too want to reassure the American people that we intend to pass this legislation this week,"
McConnell "We will pass it on a broad bipartisan basis, both sides cooperating to prevent this financial crisis from persisting. I think the message from the markets yesterday was clear. The time for finger pointing indeed has come to an end."

Before the House vote on Monday, Reid confidently predicted the Senate would easily get 60 votes on the bailout bill. No such predictions are now being made, and Democrats aren't out on the Senate floor offering passionate pleas to pass the bill.

"Democrats will look at all options to move forward on a rescue proposal that prevents a serious economic crisis, bring much-needed oversight and transparency and protects taxpayers," Manley said. "But we will need Republicans and Democrats alike to work together in a bipartisan fashion to get this done."

"...to work together in a bipartisan fashion to get this done."

Hmm, well what if we don't need you working in a bipartisan fashion to "get this done" ??? What we need is for both Reps and Dems to plainly state their position with a vote on whether it needs to be done at all. And while it was close, that vote was cast. NO BAILOUT, says the House, at least not under those terms. NO BAILOUT says the American people, whose millions of emails literally just nearly wiped out the official servers.

One representative was talking on the Alex Jones show, and said they received THOUSANDS of emails, and out of all those, only FIVE were pro bailout.

So I ask, is there any reason to believe that this bill would fare any better in the Senate?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just heard on FNC that the SENATE will vote on a bill tomorrow.....

If the Senate passes some form of the Paulson proposal...

Expect a quick and easy passing by the House Dems...

IMO.

Whether we want it or not it will be forced downed the taxpayers' throats....

Just remember who voted for it come November...

I will

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
If the Senate passes some form of the Paulson proposal...

Expect a quick and easy passing by the House Dems...

Lol, quick? Yep, I could see that. They'll Martial Law that one through too. :shk:

Easy? Well THAT remains to be seen! They still have an awful lot of Reps in the House to contend with who voted no.

Edit: Also, with the other stories floating around on the other recourses the Treasury has, as well as reports of $600 Billion being pumped into the markets by the Fed, this is looking more and more like a magician's trick. "Watch this hand while I do the real dirty work with the other one." In other words, they are using the bailout bill tied up in legislation as the public front, while behind the scenes they are doing whatever the hell they want to anyway.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The question is not whether the bailout goes through the question is whether or not it will work and stop the world from entering a new great deppression

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Exactly TA, look at what HAS been done worldwide....

While this Paulson proposal garners all of the airtime...

It wasn't 6 months ago that when the Fed pumped in some (imaginary monies) in to the market,

IT WAS FRONT PAGE NEWS (sorry allcaps
)

Now, just a casual mention as they focus on the crisis..

Much more going on....

Russian leader and Aussie leader calling on the US CONGRESS to pass the bill?

Since when does the US congress take advice from foreign leaders?

I must have missed that meeting...

Troubled times......

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Russian leader and Aussie leader calling on the US CONGRESS to pass the bill?

Since when does the US congress take advice from foreign leaders?

American economic stability obviously plays a role on the world stage, as humbly as I can possibly say that, being an American. But I personally don't believe that role is irreplaceable or absolutely necessary if real push came to real shove. North Korea and Cuba are still there for example, having been sanctioned into oblivion over the years.

But who really wants push to come to shove? Russia/Australia are just not wanting to deal with a US market crash either, if possible. So I don't think it's unreasonable for them to voice their opinions. Especially after what the NWO and the media just tried to do to Russia in Georgia, I don't find it surprising that they'd call for the bailout. Lol, they just ought to stop by ATS more often for the real scoop!

In the meantime:

wcbstv.com...

Clinton: 'It Sounds Dire, But Commerce Could Stop'
Says She Understands The Concerns Of 'Innocent Taxpayers,' But A Possible 'Recession Impacts Everyone'

WASHINGTON (CBS/AP) ― Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton says the U.S. Senate may have to lead the way in passing a $700 billion Wall Street bailout package, now that the House has rejected the measure.

"I certainly would support the Senate going first, so long as we have the votes ... as early as tomorrow if that's what would make this process successful," Clinton told reporters by phone Tuesday.

The New York Democrat, who nearly won her party's presidential nomination, said she believes public opposition to the bailout deal may be weakening after the market reacted badly to the failed House vote Monday and more businesses express worries about the future.

"It sounds dire but there is a risk that commerce could grind to a halt," she said.

So I suppose we know of at least 16 yes's in the Senate:

13. Jews

14. Clinton
15. Bama
16. McCain- surely he would not change his stance?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
unfortunately, something HAS to be done quickly or we will not be able to have foreign trade. No credit = no trade, that includes OIL.

Federal Grand Jury is investigating Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, that is a positive.

This bill is not a positive in itself, but if it can help to make more than 1 US bank BASEL II compliant so that we can have international and intra national trade, I guess we are gonna have to bite a bullet on it.

Next step? Find out where the big banks main offices are and see if they can get investigated too. At least we can get rid of the crooks if we keep at it.

Maybe we have all learned a tough lesson, sitting back and letting government run without the checks and balances of the public is very DANGEROUS.

The $64,000 question is this: Will you stay this diligent about the bills your elected officials are passing AFTER this is over?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
There is a good chance that the bill makes it through. Based on this article
news.yahoo.com...
some lawmakers felt having been disrespected. That can be fixed. The Yea-Ney difference was only about 5% of the total votes and that's not enough to say that the bill is unpopular in the House. Some concessions need to be made if the bill wants to survive the second round. The decision should be based on the difference between Yea emails and Ney emails received, but there are other considerations.

The Nostradamus' admirers are still busy deciphering the Quatrains, so no one really knows what the future holds for sure.

new topics

top topics

join