It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon approves sale of 25 F-35 fighters to Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Debkafile says the pentagon has approved the sale of 25 of the highly sophisticated F-35 Lightning II with the option of 50 more. The deal is also supposedly going to include the Helmet-mounted display and a number of the Short-Take-Off Vertical Lift (STOVL) version of the aircraft in a deal worth a little over 15 billion. I think this is a response to Russia's decision to deploy S-300 surface to air missile batteries in Iran. Also, this may be a condolences package from Bush before he leaves office to reassure Israel in the wake of Bush's denial for a request from Israel for a green light to bomb Iran last spring. Any other thoughts?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'd like to see this somewhere OTHER than debkafile first before I start to speculate why they agreed to the sale. Debka isn't the most......reliable source out there. Not quite Sorcha Faal, but not exactly someone that I'd trust completely either.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Here's another source, although I have found Debka to be reliable...the mossad is not to be underestimated.

www.presstv.ir...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
And although the article quotes Debka, it is well known by now the IAF is trying to find a replacement for their aging F-15Is and F-16Is. The F-35 was chosen as a cost-effective alternative to the pricey F-22, and can be delivered in multiple versions. The F-35 is sure to rule with impunity over the skies of Tehran.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Yet another source

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
They haven't approved anything. Israel has REQUESTED 75 of them, and the DSCA has said that initial sale would be for 25, with the option to buy another 50. The deal still has to go through the FMS office, as well as Congress for approval.

top topics

join