It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don�t think the gov have ever made contact with the aliens� why? I think it would be too risky for the aliens and have small contact with the gov.
They are joust observing us with hitechnology machines until the day comes.
SETI I think they one day or maybe already have found Radio Signal from Extraterrestrial Intelligence. That must be very old signal the waves travel about speed of light.(not sure)

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
That is exactly how i feel on the topic of SETI. Only civilizations out there that use radio will be able to be heard by SETI.

Even then the waves would have to travel hundreds of light years and would probably become weaker as they travel through the cosmos getting deformed by gravity and what not.

Even if you took the closest stars up to 70 light years away that would still be only a small fraction of the galaxy, (100 billion stars estimate) you'd get no more than 7 billion, add that into the drake equation and you have a fraction of the original fraction which you are looking for radio waves in.

They should start looking at infrared instead

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The way how our civilization uses radio waves is the most ineffective one. New technology is coming and even today some of examples are available like spread spectrum (used in WLAN�s aka WiFi) or UWB � ultra wideband (www.uwb.org...).
Those transmissions are more or less like noise for those who not have the proper wideband receiver and keys.
Finally in the history of humans the time window of �SETI compatible� broadcasts will be around 100 years long. And only because of political plots Tesla works where stopped.
But SETI is great trial of distributed data computing model �

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
And that doesn't make you wonder if that rich guy is somehow also conspiring to conceal the truth??

Originally posted by madmartinez
didnt the gov stop funding seti and then some rich guy somewhere kept it going?
i maybe wrong but im sure i saw that on tv

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well if they came out and said SETI was really a model for distributed computer rather than pretending like it was gonna find alien communications that would be one thing... but they advertise SETI as the primary way to catch an alien message which is highly unlikely

-psd_1

Originally posted by Kronos
The way how our civilization uses radio waves is the most ineffective one. New technology is coming and even today some of examples are available like spread spectrum (used in WLAN�s aka WiFi) or UWB � ultra wideband (www.uwb.org...).
Those transmissions are more or less like noise for those who not have the proper wideband receiver and keys.
Finally in the history of humans the time window of �SETI compatible� broadcasts will be around 100 years long. And only because of political plots Tesla works where stopped.
But SETI is great trial of distributed data computing model �

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
so..........what do u propose that we do? write a letter to the white house saying, "Pweeeeease, mister pwesident. can u tell wus if alwiens exist?"
secret service --->
:l:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmartinez
didnt the gov stop funding seti and then some rich guy somewhere kept it going?
i maybe wrong but im sure i saw that on tv

Microsoft's Paul Allen Donates Additional $13.5 Million to SETI

www.atsnn.com...

Excerpt:
Allen has previously donated $11.5 million and this newest donation will bring the project almost halfway to their goal of $56 million. Without Allen�s contributions the SETI project would have been finished years ago. NASA quit funding SETI in the early 90�s

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I wonder about SETI, I ran it for about a month here in the ATS group and then began to wonder what the whole deal is with SETI? And Im still wondering, what are the signals really used for, who knows, I sure dont, for all I know its a bigger conspiracy than anyone knows, it just did not add up to me so I stopped using it.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The only thing I've read about anything of a such of a conspiracy with SETI is ET Viruses...

Then ability for Extraterrestrials to channel viruses into our computers through SETI. Whether or not it's true I don't know.

But, that hasn't stopped me yet.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I once heard that SETI was just a human relations type of cover for what the government really knows about aliens. If aliens have been around for years, there should be some proof right...try http//:www.ufoartwork.com, and get back to me.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I guess since it is funded (isn't it?) it would have a tie-in to the government.

And no doubt the government knows about it... so it does remain a mystery why they don't shut it down if they want to keep aliens a secret.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
They don't shut it down because it helps cover-up the truth which is that aliens don't communicate via radio waves.... SETI is a hoax wasting the time of many and the distributed cpu power or tons of computers running that screen saver....

-psd_1

Originally posted by Shugo
I guess since it is funded (isn't it?) it would have a tie-in to the government.

And no doubt the government knows about it... so it does remain a mystery why they don't shut it down if they want to keep aliens a secret.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by psd_1
They don't shut it down because it helps cover-up the truth which is that aliens don't communicate via radio waves.... SETI is a hoax wasting the time of many and the distributed cpu power or tons of computers running that screen saver....

-psd_1

I've read this with a great deal of interest psd and that of the thread you so graciously mentioned ie the petition. Thank you for your thoughts on the alien communication theory.

Firstly, to "other" species we would be "aliens" and yet *we* currently use the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes "radio" of course, to communicate with. Therefore, I think your statement - "aliens don't communicate via radio waves" is rather a hasty one - if *we* are "aliens" to some other sentient race - and we use radio - then how do you *know* that they don't use it also?

True, you are allowed to use conjecture, no harm in that, but how can you categorically, 100%, *state* that "aliens don't communicate via radio waves"??

Truth is that we simply don't know if they do or don't - and as we *do* then it is *possible* to think that other species *might* - unless, of course, you have sources that prove that in our Galaxy at least, ours is the *only* civilisation which chanced upon radio and the electro-magnetic spectrum?

"SETI is a hoax wasting the time of many and the distributed cpu power or tons of computers running that screen saver...."

Whoah!! Excuse *me*, what is this "waste of time" that you refer to psd? By running SETI@home I'm using *my* computers 24/7 - which I would rather do than have them switched off gathering dust until the next time I use them to check my email or play a game or word process something - you get the idea, I'm sure?

In other words, my friend, *I* choose to run SETI@home because it's a program that "fits" my outlook - I have a means of contributing to real science by utilising computers that I own. The significant thing is that we either "find" ET (which is extremely unlikely, but anomalous signals have been found before ) or, perhaps more likely we can *safely* state that at such and such a location in the sky, on such and such a time, etc, *no* evidence of anomalous radio transmissions were detected. Where is the harm in that?

You see, psd, rather than relying on speculation and conjecture (for example that "aliens don't communicate via radio waves" , SETI@home (soon to be replaced by BOINC), is seeking "factual data". Proof either that we can detect signals or, indeed, that we can't. No harm surely psd? Who is being harmed?

As for SETI@home being a "hoax": hmmm - have you seen Arecibo perchance?

Let's "Deny Silence" eh?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yes but I wonder if SETI get a positive signal/get some sort of contact would they show us?? I don�t think they would. Then why should we help them.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cardu
Yes but I wonder if SETI get a positive signal/get some sort of contact would they show us?? I don�t think they would. Then why should we help them.

Help them?? Who is *them* Cardu?? "Them" is *us*!!

Nobody is *forced* to run SETI@home - those that choose to do so, do so willingly. Where's the harm in it? We're trying to advance science - why not? I think it's quite laudable myself - and quite a few of your fellow ATS members think so too. Where's the harm?? Who's being hurt?

As regards what might happen in the event of a signal being detected, please have a look at the SETI Protocols.

I hope that helps? Deny ignorance, as well as silence, I say!!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
errr...the government cut NASA out a few years ago, the budget was really diminished, doesnt that indicate that other sectors in "space exploration" may have been uncovered?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Either that or we really went broke for a period of time... which then that too would've been a little cover up of a sort.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Even if SETI discovered alien communication its highly unlikely they would tell the public.

Maybe all these millions of computers are being used for something totaly different? Maybe Bush is sittin at home with the worlds most powerful PC powered you

He probably likes sim city, and probably had the delevopers integrate a new "Terrorist Disaster" plugin or somethin that he is always clicking on

or maybe he just causes em all himself and tells all his little sims that the terrorists did it

hang on... i went a bit off topic there... what were we talkin about again?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
That's true too... unless you knew how to read the waves that you receive. Not to mention the fact everyone wouldn't believe you at all.

Then you'd be back at square one with absolutely nothing... worth your time? The only reason I continue with SETI is cause I have a slight idea of what the sending and receiving trends are. That's all.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I respect your opinons, and rightfully I expect you will respect mine.

The statements I have made might be considered speculation to some, maybe more than that to others regardless of factual proof.

Now I appreachiate you taking the time to analyze my statements yet everything I said was not meant to sway anyone one way or the other. These are my feelings, what I believe to be true....

I have heard of Arecebo, yet what have they discovered there?? Nothing but static....

I hear your point about "us" being aliens, but the way I see it is that radio waves are ancient and although they can travel far into space they will eventually decay or become corruptable. I believe that SETI is a hoax, created to cover up the real way that our governement communicates with aliens.

What you do with your computer is your issue not mine, but I believe that if anything factual is taking place it is not the SETI graphic screen saver... think about it, what potential does it have? Maybe it is of use, but maybe not in scanning the skies, rather in converting alien data or something more sinister....

The real reason I started this thread was to stir interest, to see if there are others out there who also feel similar. Clearly I am not alone in the way I feel and I truly appreachiate the support as well as the criticism....

-psd_1

Originally posted by Genya

Originally posted by psd_1

-psd_1

I've read this with a great deal of interest psd and that of the thread you so graciously mentioned ie the petition. Thank you for your thoughts on the alien communication theory.

Firstly, to "other" species we would be "aliens" and yet *we* currently use the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes "radio" of course, to communicate with. Therefore, I think your statement - "aliens don't communicate via radio waves" is rather a hasty one - if *we* are "aliens" to some other sentient race - and we use radio - then how do you *know* that they don't use it also?

True, you are allowed to use conjecture, no harm in that, but how can you categorically, 100%, *state* that "aliens don't communicate via radio waves"??

Truth is that we simply don't know if they do or don't - and as we *do* then it is *possible* to think that other species *might* - unless, of course, you have sources that prove that in our Galaxy at least, ours is the *only* civilisation which chanced upon radio and the electro-magnetic spectrum?

"SETI is a hoax wasting the time of many and the distributed cpu power or tons of computers running that screen saver...."

Whoah!! Excuse *me*, what is this "waste of time" that you refer to psd? By running SETI@home I'm using *my* computers 24/7 - which I would rather do than have them switched off gathering dust until the next time I use them to check my email or play a game or word process something - you get the idea, I'm sure?

In other words, my friend, *I* choose to run SETI@home because it's a program that "fits" my outlook - I have a means of contributing to real science by utilising computers that I own. The significant thing is that we either "find" ET (which is extremely unlikely, but anomalous signals have been found before ) or, perhaps more likely we can *safely* state that at such and such a location in the sky, on such and such a time, etc, *no* evidence of anomalous radio transmissions were detected. Where is the harm in that?

You see, psd, rather than relying on speculation and conjecture (for example that "aliens don't communicate via radio waves" , SETI@home (soon to be replaced by BOINC), is seeking "factual data". Proof either that we can detect signals or, indeed, that we can't. No harm surely psd? Who is being harmed?

As for SETI@home being a "hoax": hmmm - have you seen Arecibo perchance?

Let's "Deny Silence" eh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join