It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

awesome Christians

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

thanks for clearing that up, son.

im interested to know more, please share.

please dont take the sarcasm the wrong way, i just get the " blinder " thing alot, its annoying.

peace

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
LUTHERAN: If you are a Lutheran, your religion was founded by Martin Luther, an ex-monk of the Catholic Church, in the year 1517.

CHURCH OF ENGLAND: If you belong to the Church of England, your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in 1534, because the Pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to remarry.

PRESBYTERIAN: If you are a Presbyterian, your religion was founded by John Knox in Scotland in 1560.

CONGREGATIONALIST: If you are a Congregationalist, your religion was originated by Robert Brown in Holland in 1582.

BAPTIST: If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1605.

DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH: If you are of the Dutch Reformed Church, you recognize Charles Jones as the founder, because he originated your religion in New York in 1628.

PROTESTANT EPISCOPALIAN: If you are a Protestant Episcopalian, your religion was an offshoot of the Church of England founded by Samual Seabury in the American colonies in the 17th century.

METHODIST: If you are a Methodist, your religion was launched by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1744.

UNITARIAN: If you are a Unitarian, Theophilus Lindley founded your church in London in 1774.

MORMON: If you are a Mormon, (Latter Day Saints), Joseph Smith started your religion in Palmyra, New York in 1829.

SALVATION ARMY: If you worship with the Salvation Army, your sect began with William Booth in London in 1865.

CHRISTIAN SCIENTIST: If you are a Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year in which your religion was founded by Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy.

CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE,
PENTECOSTAL GOSPEL,
HOLINESS CHURCH,
PILGRIM HOLINES CHURCH, or
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS: If you belong to one of these religious organizations, your religion is one of the hundreds of new sects founded by men in the past 50 years.

ROMAN CATHOLIC: If you are a Roman Catholic, your religion was founded in the year 33 by JESUS CHRIST, the Son of God, and it is still the same Church two thousand years later

the fact is that I used to be protestant, but I changed after reading scripture and so forth. That collective body of believers Bwhammey talks about have a name called catholic (universal) and this group was the only group before 1500 save the orthodox, but the orthodox still had communion.

the only difference and the reason we go to a building to pray is the eaucharist which scientists have tested in italy and the blood is fresh from 1300 years ago, still fresh.

anyways there is the list of churches. and Bible alone is not even biblical, furthermore the church existed before the bible was formed by the Catholic church centuries after Gods time.

peace.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
No pure evil, I have much to learn from everybody, I'm blind too, but I didn't mean it in a prideful way. Amd I say son alot, just the way I write.

peace.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
thanks for the info, i didnt know that. see, i learn new stuff all the time.
now im interested and will check on this further for my own edification.

take care, all of you.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
you have humility.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

BAPTIST: If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1605.

Negative.

This church was begun when John the Baptist ..baptized Jesus of Nazareth in the River Jordan and Jesus from that time took on His priesthood being about 30 years olde as required under the Law. From this point of His baptizing...He began His church and ministry. This Church is to be found today in many places still on this earth having changed its name and suffered different fallings away at different times and moving of brethren to form faithful Church's after such falling aways and separation from disobedient bodies.

There were and are remnants of this Church which never adhered to Rome nor Constantinople and existed in small groups in North Africa and migrating to Europe. They dwelled in the mountains of Europe and suffered persecution by Rome and others....even by the
Church of England. We have the record of these Church's in John Foxe and his book of Martyrs. Remnants of these Church's are still in existence today.

They do not adhere to protestant denominational goings on nor catholic..but remain independent.

The Church's of which I know do not even associate with the so called Baptist Associations in order to keep their independence ..teaching and preaching the Whole Council of God.

In the haste to move all Church's into the Protestant/Roman blocks...the independents are ignored in history ...as if Protestant and Roman is all there ever was and is. It is the same fingerprint and in like manner to the Republicans and Democrats here in the USA. As if independents don't exist..and all the choices one gets is all there is. It is simply not so.

the fact is the NT talks about coming together to break bread and recieve the eucharist in a local building. Another fact is that st Paul talks about along with jesus to do this in memory of me which is communion.

another fact is that God ordained preist to forgive and retain sins in john 20.

The New Testament does indeed speak of communing together and breaking bread in remembrance of Him. Indeed. It does not specify a building per se. Teaching and preaching was often done in someones home or out in the open air. It is not a building per se as we often have today. Specifically ...it is whenever two or more gather in His name.

Also we are the priesthood..today. A Royal priesthood. We go straight to God for forgiveness of sins and repentance...to entreat..to plead our case.

The church is not to be an organization..it is to be a living organism. Not organizational..not nicolaitanism ...not a clergy separate from the laity...which my Lord says He hates.

The Church is the assembly of believers coming together anywhere they are or anywhere they can..to fellowship..and break bread in remembrance of Him. This is what we are doing right here ..right now.

Sabbath means REST...Peace...
Peace be with you means....Jesus be with you. REST.
Peace does not mean an absence of physical strife as is so often taught even in what passes for Church's today. But to the knowledgeable believer it means Jesus of Nazareth...Jesus the Christ for Remission of Sins. In this we have Peace..Sabbath..Rest ...24/7...a person...not a day. We are not under the Olde Testament bondage of day keeping....dietary laws...men's traditions...et al.

The reason many people assemble and have fellowship on Sundays is that it is the day of the week many have off by which they can assemble. For some it is Wednesday nights...et al. No matter...just assemble...which is once again what is happening here. You want Saturday..again no problem..just assemble...two or more together in His Name. Amen. It is not complicated as men are wont to make it by thier traditions. It is simple..it is also ..as He said..Finished.

Many preachers and priests will mislead you in this knowledge in order to fill the pulpits and collection plates. In order to strengthen the organization..not the organism. They are not teaching and preaching the Whole Council of God.

In His Holy Name, Amen
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Since your enjoying naming denominations so much, Please do make sure to include the Albigenses, or Carthari, in southern France, northern Spain and northern Italy who preached against the immoralities of the priesthood, worship of saints and images, completely rejected the clergy and their claims, opposed the claims of the Church of Rome, made great use of the
Scriptures, and lived self-denying lives with a great zeal for moral purity.

Oppps you can't include them because in 1208 Pope Innocent III
ordered a crusade in which the bloody war of extermination utterly wiped
out town after town ~ the inhabitants murdered without discrimination—
until all of the Albigenses were utterly wiped out.

And please don't forget the Waldenses, a similar but not identical group in the same region emphasizing Bible reading and rejecting clerical intrusion.

They were similarly wiped out (but for the few survivors in the Alpine Valleys southwest of Turin who are now the leading Protestant body in
Italy). It is recorded that in the 30 years between 1540 and 1570 no fewer
than 900,000 Protestants were put to death by the Pope’s war for the
extermination of the Waldenses.

Matthew 7:16
"By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen.....Hallelujah...Hallelujah. Amen!!

BigWhammy,
It is so encouraging ...to see that someone else knows those names of the peoples of the Word ...back in history. For most of the Believers of whom I know, these names are foreign to them.

One of the olde names of this area..from the coast of Virginia..to the mountains is called Piedmont. This name stems from the Alpine regions of France and Italy where these Believers in the Churchs you mentioned once dwelled. It has religious overtones among the faithful who were to settle in this area and brought with them their religious knowledge and history. Many names from the Bible are still to be found around here..from the coast to the mountains...this is not accidental.

Praise God..someone else knows..Praise God!!

Sometimes it is lonesome out here verses others who also know the history.

Thank you , Thank You. Hallelujah!!

In His Name,
Orangetom

[edit on 5-10-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

If you are a Roman Catholic, your religion was founded in the year 33 by JESUS CHRIST, the Son of God, and it is still the same Church two thousand years later

"And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch".( Acts 11:26) Christians, not Roman Catholics.

The church met in people's homes mostly not "buildings" as we think of churches, but homes. (See Col. 4:15)

Peter was not a pope but an elder. (See IPeter 5:1) Of course, he was also an apostle. He was also sharply rebuked and put in his place by Paul who came to Jerusalem. (Gal. 2:11)

My mother used to tell me that Catholicism was the "correct" religion because it was the richest. LOL LOL LOL. Considering how many people were murdered to get those riches, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement for their superiority in the realm of spirituality.

To my way of thinking, it's not a matter of which denomination is right or wrong but a matter of oneness. "I pray that you all may be one, as my Father and I are one...that you all may be one."

I would hate to see this thread degrade into a slug fest. I think, as Christians, we can all agree that Christ is our savior. There are lots of people that need our prayers. If and when the Christians start getting rounded up, persecuted, killed, or whatever-what is going to happen to all the unsaved people who have never heard the good news? There are a lot of unbelievers who can honestly say that they have never met a believer who has been such a shinning example of Christ that they wanted to convert. Let us be the light in the darkness while we still can.

Also, I've mentioned in the prayer circle thread but I'll mention it here, too. There is a member on the board who is suicidal. Please stand in prayer with me for this unhappy soul. It's a heavy burden to bear alone. Thanks and YHWH bless you all.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
hello i agree with whitewave

please could someone start a new thread if a discussion of the denominations is required.

lets keep Christ the focus here.

many thanks

david

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
orange and Bwhammey you are completely wrong and I will explain later when I have time.

One point I want to make now is that we DO NOT worship saints. This has never been taught, ever. We go to them as friends and ask for their prayers like protestants do with each other every day.

May you pray for me, please pray for me, pray for me brother.

See you can do it but the minute we do it's worship of saints.

and going strait to God is good, but sometimes we go to people that are closer to him and gather more prayers for ourselves.

anyways ill answer the rest of the ignorance later.

unbielvable.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
drevill please forgive me but I have to later defend my faith and I will not let them get away with lies and taking our beliefs out of context. And when I do refute them later I will not use LOLs and AMEN HAHAHA, LOL, all that BS which shows their (got ya) attitude. As you can see in the above last three post.

I will do it in modesty.

God bless you.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Jesus is Truth,

Whitewave makes a good point in the intrest of not dragging this thread down into the hands of the god of this world.

However, I will make a point here. The Lords Church is not universal. It is His Church for His purposes. He has a people He has chosen to pluck out of this world and Redeem for His purposes ..not our purposes. Not for the purposes of the organization. His people are of every kindred and tounge on the face of the earth.

Who these people are is none of my buisness..but He knows. Of this I have great Faith based on His Word. For He knows all the names in His Book of Life. I dont and never will...which is a good thing.
We have and see evidence of those who are His...by the words and fruit which comes out of their souls. We are fruit inspectors by Virtue of knowing His Word.

Will there be Catholics among his redeemed...most certainly...Protestants too..Hebrews and others...but not for reasons of any organization...but because He Chose to put his Living Word in them and make them His Testimiony to His Way...and once again..for His purposes.

The Sovereign Lord of whom I know ...teaches me that all of us deserve hell and damnation...and rightfully so. No exceptions. He has chosen some of us to carry His name on our lips and to testify to those who are His.
We do not teach and preach of an organization..but of His Word...which by Faith we know ..will endureth for ever.

I know this simply by looking at the life of the Apostle Paul. For he is the very last person for whom the Christians would have chosen. Yet God chose him/Paul to carry His name upon Paul's lips and testify as the Apostle to the Gentiles. If there is Hope for a corrupted sinner like the Apostle Paul..there most certainly is Hope for a corrupted sinner like me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The title of this thread is "awesome Christians", not bickering brothers.

There are plenty of threads about Catholicism on ATS. One entitled Your beef with Catholicism. I didn't jump in to comment until about page 5 and it's a 7 page thread full of good info both pro and con. Perhaps we could move the Catholicism defending discussion over there?

I can understand any believer wanting to defend their own faith but this is not the thread for that. If I may make a suggestion....How about we go back to what makes Christians awesome? I'll start.

What brought me to be saved was not a doctrinal epiphany but the love and acceptance I found with one Christian. I had been looking around for a while and thought the Buddhists had a pretty good program of behavior modification going for them. But they accepted everyone and everything with no real personal feelings about their acceptance one way or another. The Christian I mentioned accepted ME, personally. He has been like a spiritual father to me for 39 years.

Is it not awesome that a soul can be brought to the joy that is in Christ by one humble person willing to share what they have?

Is it not awesome that when practical help is needed, it is mainly the Christians who rise to the necessity? During Katrina aftermath, I did not see the ACLU or Planned Parenthood down there helping. I saw Christians.

During the Murrah Bld. aftermath, Christians came out in droves to make sandwiches for the relief workers, bring what few possessions that had (blankets, etc.) to give to those who might need them. FEMA had declared that they DIDN'T HAVE blankets, candles, etc. to pass out. (I'm not sure what kind of emergency management agency doesn't keep on hand emergency supplies but....).

We have the word of God to enlighten and refresh us. We have our human spirit filled with the spirit of Christ to transform and perfect us. We have a heart full of love for our brothers for the completion of the bride. We have the fruits of the spirit for our edification as well as for the edification of others. We have/are the light that shines in darkness.

Can any of the unbelievers say that? I'd like for them all to be able to say it. Yes, many unbelievers have done good works. They have contributed to human endeavors and the increase of technology to make all our lives easier. But even as a progressive, technologically advanced society we are not necessarily better people; just better equipped to destroy ourselves. Only the light of Christ can pierce that darkness and make us all better people. I think that's pretty awesome!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

no problem to me

i was thinking of the unity that others may have seen on this post degenerate quickly into what has so often plaqued belivers throughout the centuries.

well if no one else can be bothered ill start another thread on the saints/prayer if that is okay?

david

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Don't leave brother. Sibling rivalry is present in all families and the family of God is no different in that respect.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

ahh

just getting sulky and tired

Its my 7th wedding anniversary and as we are skint; my 30 week pregnant wife and i walked along the canal and had a picnic. back to work in the AM

i am gutted!

my legs feel like they are on fire. lol

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Try this next year, dave: news.bbc.co.uk...

Anyway, you're skint, but rich.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

this is brilliant!

i thinking of turning to freeganism. mmmm!

im sure there is loads of lovely skips full of thrown away food in our small town.

as we walked down the canal we saw some bulrushes, these were used to make the original marsh mallow.

Its frightening to think amongst all this new technology etc that so much knowledge is being lost.

david

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Imagine how your 30 week pregnant wife feels after that walk! Congratulations, man, and happy anniversary. Sounds like you had a lovely day with your bride.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join