It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meat must be rationed to four portions a week

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Something tells me this is more about global food crisis than global warming and we're just getting the bs'd.
Get people to give up meat/milk - and get used to it - and feel GOOD about it 'cause they're *saving* the planet...

...taps...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I was merely trying to determine if you were opposed to all freedoms or if you merely were picking & choosing them.

No offence, but did you honestly believe there was a chance that I was "opposed to all freedoms"? Did you think I was proffering the idea that we should be slaves kept in cages or something? Other-wise, I'm not sure how you could possibly think that I oppose "all freedoms".

Clearly I disagree with you whole heartedly. The corporations wouldn't make foods like that if there wasn't a demand from consumers for them.

That's an incredibly simplistic argument. We live in a society were people don't have the choices they once did if they're to engage in your "free market capitalism". At one time, it was expected that women were housewives who had lots of time to be selective shoppers and prepare meals from scratch &c. Now, even if they wanted to do this, many women don't have that opportunity due to the cost of living, working hours and so on. So, convenience food reigns supreme in the supermarket aisles.

I'm not sure where you think you've got choice from with regard to what big business sells you as foodstuff. When was the last time you were personally asked about what products a firm should sell? When was the last time you contacted one of these firms and asked 'why don't you make or sell this product?' Your "free market capitalism" doesn't care about this. They're interested in maximising profit for the win! That means cutting corners. That means spicing the badness so it at least tastes good. Hmmmm, corn syrup!

There's one maybe even two generations that are now growing up that have never known a proper home-cooked meal. All they've known is convenience food. This is exacerbated by the fact that schools in Britain don't have the cookery/home economics lessons they once had* so they're not really learning much there either.

The fact that supermarkets have far more convenience foods than fresh or even dried produce highlights the fact that consumer choice isn't really there at all like you suggest. Ultimately, we can only buy what they sell; sadly the bulk of what they're selling is #: full of chemicals, additives, hidden sugars and salt.

Yes, 'you can always buy from a local market and then there's your farmers market'. My local market is no longer any good for buying anything other than cheap electronics and fake sports wear. The actual food stalls slowly disappeared over the years. This is a problem across many towns and cities in Britain. My farmers market is once a month which makes a mockery of the idea of buying 'fresh'. There are other farmers markets if I want to travel, but it kind of defeats the idea of a local farmers market.

I'm pretty big on free market capitalism & on a man's right to use his hard earned dollars to purchase whatever he wishes, including junk food, as long as that purchase doesn't infringe on the basic rights of others.

Enjoy your obesity epidemic! You don't mind if that's one cultural import we try and cut down on, do you?

*although I believe this has begun to change over the last year.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Freedom???

BAH - we have less freedom now than we have for many years.

This false ideological idea that somehow we are free is just a bunch of bullplop, promulgated and perpetuated by those who think that individual freedoms do not infringe on others, and that they should basically be allowed to do what they want, and sod the rest of society.

*NEWSFLASH*
There is NO freedom, except the tiny bit granted to us by those we despise - the governments and big corporations.

Real freedom comes with real responsibility, not only to ourselves, but to the rest of the society we live in.

Let's also look at the modern diet of processed junk, made to addict so that McD's can keep the profits rolling in, with all those processed carbs and sugars.
That's not freedom, that's addicting as many people as possible for profit, in the same way drug dealers do.

Anyone can eat what they want as far as I'm concerned, but to dress it up as an ideology and call it freedom is a load of rubbish.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
If global warming is a hoax then what is causing all these climate changes?

how come the artic is melting?

if you have a fever, and your temperature keeps fluctuating that means your sick doesn't it?

if it's a hoax explain the artic?

im not very religious but all pandits in India say the planet will be flooded by 2025

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread, but the report is ludicrous.

The problem isn't necessarily with the consumer; it's with the producers of the goods that are consumed. I would like to see someone's livlihood be restricted in such a fashion on the words of a 'study'...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
2 a day for me, please.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The article is merely suggestive. But it has been posted as if it is law going into effect tomorrow.

Now there are a bunch of people running around thinking we are going to have meat rationing.

But to ask people to voluntarily do it is not a bad idea. It is about the level of healthy consumption anyways.

And I doubt anyone would cut back on children. A decent parent would give their kid their milk anyways.

We have way too much economy based on the dairy and beef industry for legislation to ever be passed like this, unless something else was involved like the sudden dying off of millions of cattle.

I'm sorry if this comes out wrong, but when i first read your post, when getting to the part about no one cutting back on children, I thought you were advocating canibalism.

I do agree with you tho that our economy is so based dairy and beef that we will never ever start rationing it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hell man, the "experts" can't even get that one right. The "artic" has been freezing and thawing since the last ice age. You see reports like "Open water filmed at north pole for first time in recorded history; 2008" and then do a little fact checking and discover photos from 20, 50, 75 years ago showing ships at the North Pole sitting inside patches of open water many miles across... The "artic" is melting because it's what happens to ice when the temperature cycle reaches a warmer temperature... it melts. Did you think the Earth's temperature would be static from year to year sans any input from man?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mind is the universe
Well I thought it was the other way around, The Bush administraiton always condemned the theory of Global warming. And Zionist for the theory. Rather odd that is.

BTW, Why is global warming not real, because Americans have to pay tax, is that it? If money heated up the world, It will still be cool.

Funny how easy some people find it to spin any story into some type of American bashing.

That's the only thing that's old in this thread.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
We just need to not feed obese people. I was once overweight and now I hate obese people. Sorry to those of you who are obese but I hate you. Learn some self control.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Yea smells like population control to me. Pretty soon there going to limit how many babies you can have all for global warming. The people who are behind this, while there is a lot of sheeple, are globalists who want to reduce the worlds population to a more manageable size. Just another arm of the NWO is you ask me. I'd throw that rubbish in the garbage where it belongs!

[edit on 30-9-2008 by oconnection]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Gosh, if only man-made climate change meant that we'd all get a big fat check and a letter of apology in the mail... Hot damn, where can I get me some more of these global warmings?!

I hate to shock anyone, but two bad things can be true at one time. Global warming seems to be real. And politicians/company CEOs are certainly, at times, using as an outlet for their greed.

Boy, does that ever suck.

Too bad people seem to think that one negates the other...

The Everglades restoration is lagging, pollution is on the rise now, and the Amazon is actually being deforested faster.

You guys did your work. Great job – people are really starting to doubt that there’s a problem at all. Aren’t you so proud?

Our grandkids are going to double over with the hilarity of it all. Those greedy politicians are going to empty our pockets, and once we’re over the shock of being robbed, the planet is gonna fry us…or freeze us, starve us, drown us, displace us – depends on where you live.
But no biggie. Just as long as you get to eat a steak whenever you like, right?

I needed that daily dose of what it means to be a part of mankind. Yum, yum.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Certainly it wouldn't.

Do you believe that 150 years of non-stop release of carbon dioxide, combined with a continuous destruction of the organisms that convert CO2 to Oxygen, to make way for cud-chewing methane factories, has zero impact on the world?

We're not creating the situation. We're just cranking the dial to eleven.

Personally I think we should convert from cows to horses. Leaner flesh, less land-intensive, the milk is just as good, and they're not constantly farting. The largest land empire ever to grace the face of the earth can't be wrong!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

A little bit of planning ahead for the future of your children wouldn't be asking too much. I don't mean just the college fund. We've got a couple billion people, and only so much space to live and grow food. Plus the larger the population and the closer people have to live with livestock, the greater the risk of global pandemics.

Now, if you want nine kids, who will each have nine kids, all of whom will eat nothing but cows and wheat, you go ahead, but don't expect anyone with much sense to think too highly of your locust clan.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I hope your not serious. What about volcanoes? Don't they release many times the carbon dioxide that we little humans ever produce in a year? Why hasn't there been run away global warming in the past from volcanoes? I don't doubt the data shows that the globe indeed is warming up but if you look at the earth temperatures from the past 10,000 years many scientists conclude that the earth's temperature is going through a nature phase of increase in temperature then it will decrease in temperature as time goes on.

So you haven't convinced me yet.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think we should hang methane generators on the butts of bovines to ease the energy crunch!!!! The only problem will be bovines are too stupid to NOT trip over the transmission wires. Guess we'll have to keep them in stancheons..

Naw.. sounds like a Monty Python 'man in the street interview' !!!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
4 portions a week!!!!!!!!!

even if we in our family did eat meat then we sure a s hell couldn't afford to eat 2 portions a week , let alone 4!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, H there are people STARVING in this world and we are to be rationed to 4 portions a week...... how pathetic we have become...........

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You nailed it burdman.

This is the biggest sham ever.

The first person to limit the amount of meat I can eat, may get eaten him/herself.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by oconnection

A little bit of planning ahead for the future of your children wouldn't be asking too much. I don't mean just the college fund. We've got a couple billion people, and only so much space to live and grow food. Plus the larger the population and the closer people have to live with livestock, the greater the risk of global pandemics.

Now, if you want nine kids, who will each have nine kids, all of whom will eat nothing but cows and wheat, you go ahead, but don't expect anyone with much sense to think too highly of your locust clan.

Ok firstly the population of the world could fit in the size of Texas, I don't the whole idea that were running out of room nonsense. Secondly populations mass around population centers ie: cities, normally around large bodies of water.

Your second point is truly disgusting and short sighted to call human beings locusts. If you've become such an outcast that you call humans locust based on our consumption is nonsense. For your information I eat a balanced diet of meats and veggies. I have one child but I'm not opposed to having more and certainly won't take into account global warming into account when I have another.

Why don't you stop focusing on the data the supports your already slanted viewpoint. Most of the global warming movement is nothing but a political movement and has very little to do with any real threat. Good day sir!

[edit on 30-9-2008 by oconnection]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
could this be an example of the government using reverse psychology on us, to make us eat more meat? i've heard that meat lowers our energy levels to make us more spiritually inept. anyone else heard anything about this? ...something to do with meats lowering the frequencies that are emitted by our bodies, in turn making us less in-tune with nature's harmonics? something like that? lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join