It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA FOIA request reply received this morning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I submitted a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the NSA after doing a tracert and netstat check. I checked every address that popped up and to my surprise one was the NSA.

I wrote a letter asking for any and all information that is contained with regards to myself and my ip address along with an explanation of why I was being monitored.

I have received my reply this morning and found it very interesting as it was rejected under "Executive Order 12958" and it goes onto to explain that "my request is denied because the fact of the existence or non-existence of the information is exempted from disclosure." The letter then states that I can appeal.

I wanted to post this letter for you guys to look at as I am interested in how I can go about this appeal but I am getting slightly bogged down with the jargon being fired at me in the letter.

I find this slightly disturbing as I was expecting to get a letter saying that I was not being monitored etc so I am now wondering if I am right but not just that, how many others are being monitored and why?

Can this letter be posted on here using the same methods to create an avatar then linking the address?

Cheers

[edit on 30-9-2008 by XXXN3O]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Wow..it sounds like you are one of millions of victims of that illegal wire tapping..What the heck have you done in YOUR life?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

This is exactly what I am wondering as to my knowledge I havent done anything wrong. This was the main reason I submitted this request but more importantly why I want to appeal it to find out the information that is held about me.

The reason im asking is because I am not familiar with the extreme lengths of jargon laws on the letter and im unsure how to go about this appeal in writing in a professional way.

It is also interesting me that the NSA address only popped up in my trace last month as I always check it at least once a month.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Dude, that is rather spooky(pun intended) if you ask me. Especially that their IP was actually visible to you. I would think they'd have ways to mask their IPs from being seen by their subjects.
I guess it would depend on what that particular host does, but all I have read basically says they just copy the datastream from an ISP which would mean they should be able to sit behind a device at said colluder facility.
Perhaps you have become of interest and escalations in monitoring result in other unmaskable techniques?

Now, I am curious about myself, actually. Not that I should be on any lists for any particular reason, but I am a tech and sharpening one's skillset is never a bad thing.
So you just did a netstat and looked up the arin listings? edit: Oh, I see, it was on the trace, but I guess checking both is a good idea.
Which entities am I looking for or will it be obviously registered to the NSA?

Good luck and I wouldn't let this one go. Keep reeling it in if you can.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by 4N6310]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 4N6310

Im not a massively educated when it comes to net tech but I did a tracert nsa.gov search and also did a netstat search.

I used whois to search for each of the ip addresses and the one at the end came up with the NSA website which had me pretty alarmed to say the least.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Wait a second. Where did you run your tracert to? Please, don't say you traced to nsa.gov.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 4N6310

Yes I traced it to nsa.gov but the same address is appearing on any search that I have done when it never appeared before.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ok, I'm quite savy in the IT-field. You keep speaking of the fact that you did a tracert. Can you describe to me the exact steps of doing this tracert?

I'm having a feeling you're doing a simple tracert to nsa.gov directly..

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So how do I do this exactly? I am what they consider a computer turd, I know only how to turn it on and do very little, so I suppose they hope that most like me would be the same and never expect us to check back on their snooping...
So step by step how do I do this check too?
Thanks, and dont let fear get to you, there is always a balance.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The fact that you post on ATS probably put you on their raidar. What the HELL did you post about?
I wanna know so I can go piss them off too.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I read this thread here that gives information on how to check.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I took the ip addresses that appeared be it tracert google.com etc and every time now one of them is appearing as the nsa in whois.

Hope that helps

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
If that is the case and it is because of my posts then this one springs to my mind as its the only one that I would even say was a sniff of a reason maybe??

After all I was told to keep my mouth shut but I still dont think it would mean that I would get watched as most people do not believe things like this go on.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here's something I found a little interesting. This is the WHOIS information I get back when checking the IP I am resolving for www.nsa.gov:

Search ARIN WHOIS for: 12.110.110.204
AT&T WorldNet Services ATT (NET-12-0-0-0-1)
12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255
LINGUALISTEK LINGUALI77-110-192 (NET-12-110-110-192-1)
12.110.110.192 - 12.110.110.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2008-09-29 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Telling? Perhaps.
Wonder if I'm on a list now.

edit: after seeing that other thread you linked to, I am guessing the nsa is simply sniffing all traffic to and from their site via the same tools they use to spy on us with.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by 4N6310]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It does seem like that.

I am not saying im the only one that is being watched but I was interested to know the who, what, why, when and wheres of reasons behind it as it is involving me.

My tracert hops have changed dramatically in the last month, i used to have 12 hops and now I have over 20 which made me wonder why?

I submitted the FOIA request to try and find out what exactly was going on but it has been rejected which I find disturbing. It is important to note that I was specifically asking for information they have on me not the full country lol so I just cant see why it has been rejected under national security interests?

I wanted to post the letter on this thread but im not sure how to so any help will be appreciated. I am obviously going to block my name and address etc.

This way someone with experience or a better understanding could help me put in an appeal or something along those lines.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am trying to link both pages of the reply I received for you guys to read and see what you think. This is the first time ive tried this and its proving a little difficult but here goes.

Page 1

Page 2

Hopefully this will be clear enough to read

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thanks for posting the document.

As I see it, if you persue the matter then all that you are doing is allowing them more grounds on which too base their operations. (Enquiring of them that you are suspicious of their activities only heightens speculation and interest in you.)

I personally, would either change my IP, use a proxy or change ISP, or all three. (don't forget too format your drives, incase their is resident tracking programs.)... or use TOR.

Just a few suggestions, but I hope that helps.

Best of luck, Fox.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fox_3000au

True but like they always tell us all if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.

I fail to see any harm in using the same motto with them?

It could obviously be viewed as biting the hand that feeds you but I am only asking for my own information so it should not really be the case.

It does make me wonder why reject an application for nothing so there must be something there?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I take it nobody knows anything about this that may help.

Jesus lol, ive seen threads with people talking about how they know all about this but never seem to explain in full.

C'mon people just a little help please??

Ive did my bit giving the proof of what im talking about!

[edit on 4-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

new topics

top topics

join