It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN in all out spin mode right now

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here are the headlines:

Time: What the vote could cost taxpayers (implying that the vote was a bad idea)

What do you think of the vote that rejected a $700 billion bailout for the U.S. economy? (bailout for the economy? How about a bailout for the bankers? The economy is still screwed.)

Stocks set for rebound (despite the fact that inside the article itself, experts are predicting it is going to be a bad day, but they are trying to boost confidence it would seem)

Obama, McCain to blame for failed bill? (Why assign blame to the failed bill? Why not question why the PEOPLE DON'T WANT IT)

Should the House reconsider its rejection of the $700 billion economic recovery bill?

I have been in conspiracy mode too much tonight. I can't believe I am seeing it all over the front page of CNN. I feel like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory...

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'm watching GMA and they have the same spin in progress. A lot of emphasis on all the money 'regular' people lost yesterday. There is a clear sense of outright desperation to get this passed. Looks like the affluent-elite are very unhappy right now. My question is this: havn't people been saying that we were due for a 'market correction' for a long time now? Well? Let it correct then.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I cannot believe the negative spin we heard on cnbc last night. I am glad this was defeated, and am proud of my fellow Americans for speaking out so vocally. Ron Paul acknowledged that.

I post elsewhere, and on another forum, I wont post on the bailout thread because everyone is crying about how it didnt pass. It must be nice to be able to afford that 700 billion in taxes the governmewnt wants us to fork over. My car went caput yesterday, I can't afford it!

Very interesting!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Look,

it's also true that the 700bn is not really the projected loss to the taxpayers, it's the sum to acquire bad debt. Not all of the assets will prove worthless (these are mortgages after all). Hence, only a fraction of the 700bn will be lost. It can be 10% or 20%, or it can be none.

When emotions are in high gear, it's easy to forget about underlying facts.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

700bn is also not the cap, it is only the most that can be out at one time. They are asking for no accountability with the 700bn. There are other portions of the bill that aren't exactly a good thing for the economy either, like the banks being allowed to lend out more than they have on hand.

This bill stinks and is very hard to interpret it as good for the common person.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
If anyone in the media gave a damn about the American people they wouldn’t be trying to whip us into a panic. They’d be attempting to help us comprehend this bill so we can decide how we feel about it. Try as they might to sway us the people still aren’t buying it. We are in the middle of a powerful turning point, the people are finally beginning to pay attention and they dislike what they are hearing and seeing.

Good post by the way, star and flag for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
This bill stinks and is very hard to interpret it as good for the common person.

In this world of ours, a lot of things are hard to interpret. This doesn't mean that these need to be rejected off the bat. Greenhouse emissions are real tough to interpret, yet it's prudent to take heed and try to curb them. Effects of trade deficit are not necessarily easy to gauge, but it's a good idea to reduce it. Gay marriage is a tough subject but this doesn't mean we should not look at this issue.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Just stop, man. What facts? What do you know, man? Nothing. It's ALL LIES! Get that through your head. It frustrates me even more that people like you are on here downplaying everything like we're all a bunch of #ing morons.

The facts. Gimme a break. The facts from where? I'm getting really pissed, so you may just be cannonfodder to my resentment towards everyone who thinks they know anything that opens their big mouth... but ya know what? I'm starting not to have sympathy anymore towards the giant writhing mass of absolute ignorance and apathy. Just bomb it all to hell. Let nature get the facts straight after the plague is gone from this earth. I have almost no hope when on a conspiracy theory site, we have people who are on here and all I ever see them do is tell people to get the facts straight and just downplaying EVERYthing like this site is full of retards. Look... unless you're the ALL SEEING #ING EYE OF THE WORLD, you should start thinking a bit deeper about "the facts" and "getting them straight", seeing as how you don't control the flow of knowledge.

I apologize, but for Christ's sake.... I've woken up in a nightmare.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by dunwichwitch]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well off of the CNN site there is a link to the Time story that I applaud!

There is a MSM story basically calling this whole thing a sham!

I love it!

time.com

Let Risk-Taking Financial Institutions Fail

By Ari J. Officer and Lawrence H. Officer Monday, Sep. 29, 2008

Demonstrators protest the U.S. Congress's proposed $700 billion bailout of the financial industry in New York City's Times Square, Sept. 27 Demonstrators protest the U.S. Congress's proposed $700 billion bailout of the financial industry in New York City's Times Square, Sept. 27

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
It frustrates me even more that people like you are on here downplaying everything like we're all a bunch of #ing morons.

Speak for yourself, will ya.

I look at independent sources like NPR an others, and to experts' opinions. If you uncapable of digesting a moderately sophisticated argument, that's not my problem.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I think some of the press is waking up but the majority of it is still driven by a corporate leadership that responds to advertising dollars and the fear of losing them. A lot of people are scared by the dire warnings from Bush and the Congressional leadership on BOTH sides. A lot of us have learned to ignore the boy who cried wolf too many times but in this case there never was a wolf except for in the little boys imagination.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
Well off of the CNN site there is a link to the Time story that I applaud!

There is a MSM story basically calling this whole thing a sham!

I love it!

time.com

Let Risk-Taking Financial Institutions Fail

By Ari J. Officer and Lawrence H. Officer Monday, Sep. 29, 2008

Demonstrators protest the U.S. Congress's proposed $700 billion bailout of the financial industry in New York City's Times Square, Sept. 27 Demonstrators protest the U.S. Congress's proposed $700 billion bailout of the financial industry in New York City's Times Square, Sept. 27

Fantastic. It really is like a bunch of politicians are waving their hands in the air saying “look at us! We’re doing something”. It is like they want us to support them for fixing something, but they won’t explain how it fixes things, won’t guarantee it fixes things, and refuse to take any responsibility for this mess- they’re too busy pointing fingers.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

So the logical choice for you is to rush the bill through without the people most affected by it understanding why it should be a 700bn dollar blank check with no accountability? Rush it through and deal with the fall out later. What's the worst that could happen? It worked out fine with the patriot act, right?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I'm sorry. Since when has a tax-funded entity been independent? From NPR to the police, big government and wealth redistribution are to their benefit. Consequently I don't believe a word out of either mouth.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

So the logical choice for you is to rush the bill through without the people most affected by it understanding why it should be a 700bn dollar blank check with no accountability? Rush it through and deal with the fall out later. What's the worst that could happen? It worked out fine with the patriot act, right?

a) I never said "rush"
b) I never supported the patriot act

You are doing exactly what I was objecting to, which is a simplistic view and in this case, putting words in my mouth.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It worked out fine with the patriot act, right?

I’m glad you brought that up. Same sort of situation happened with the Patriot Act, everyone was worked into such a panic, and citizens didn’t seem to understand it. Hell it seems like many still don’t. And they only tried to amend the act for the rights of ours that it trumps on after the fact; no such proposition has passed yet though. If the people had comprehensibly protested the plan and insisted it was altered in the first place we wouldn’t be in the mess with it that we are now. So yeah I completely agree, we can not let that happen this time around.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I'm sorry.

Rightly you are. Posting nonsense and hubris is nothing to be proud of.

Since when has a tax-funded entity been independent?

NPR derives less than 2% of their budget from agencies like National Science Foundation and others. How that equals "tax-funded", is up to you to explain (but get that foot out of your mouth first).

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
They had one week to pass the bill, that seems a tad rushed to me. I compared the bill to the patriot act in how it was rushed through with the aid of fear and panic as well. I did not say that you supported it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Ok, thanks. I would agree with you that there was a more than a modicum of panic mode surrounding this bill. In reality, a week or two won't make a huge difference, and time is warranted to work the details of such unprecendented bill. We agree on this

top topics

<<   2 >>

join