It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian nuclear bomber flies undetected to within 20 miles of Hull

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Russian nuclear bomber flies undetected to within 20 miles of Hull

www.dailymail.co.uk

A Russian nuclear stealth bomber was able to fly within 90 seconds of the British coast without being picked up by radar, it was revealed today.
The supersonic ‘Blackjack’ jet flew completely undetected to within just 20 miles from Hull in one of the worst breaches of British security since the end of the Cold War.
RAF radar eventually picked up the plane, but the only two pairs of fighter jets used for air alerts were on other duties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
russian plasma stealth
Russian TU-160 Blackjack..

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting because they describe the russian blackjack as 'stealth' which I didn't think it was and I have read many threads about possible plasma stealth and other such technologies here on ATS.

Interesting then that the blackjack got close without being detected, maybe also result of passive stealth. Either way not too bad for such an old cold war era plane!

Any comment from the subject experts about how this happened?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by primamateria

Interesting then that the blackjack got close without being detected, maybe also result of passive stealth. Either way not too bad for such an old cold war era plane!

Well, it IS still currently the most advanced bomber in the world. We all know how useless F-117s are. We could only surmise how the B2 would fail miserably against Russian defences.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by primamateria

Somewhere between RAF inefficiency, budget cuts for the RAF, a LO design for the Blackjack it's very high speed and the basic limitations of radar will you find a answer to that question. If you care to do so, and thus reject the notion that the Russians are entirely backwards, you can even throw in 'Plasma Stealth' to help explain why these sort of things are now so often happening to NATO partners....

Stellar

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
damn...just 90 seconds short of getting rid of Hull

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Dude you know your screwed when

1 a bomber gets that close undetected

2 your alert 1 aircraft are off station and you dont have alert 2 to scramble

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Sounds like some pretty advanced stealth technology to me, and pretty good at that!

Either that, or the British detection systems are useless.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Wait a sec, is it not a violation of sovereign airspace and a major international incident? Something does not smell right here.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Yup, however air space outside a countries borders are hotly contested, cause some claim for example 20 miles buffer outside their border which is a problem cause then their air space claims protrude into another countries physical border.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
If this is not a warning sign then I dont know what is.

It is time for the people of the UK to DEMAND that the politicians stop gutting their military and reducing it further and further. You were supposed to get 12 Type 45's then it became 8 then 6 and now its 4 and I would be shocked if you even got 2.

When either the New York City Police Department, US Border Patrol or the US Customs Service alone have more manpower, helicopters and boats then some entire European militaries you know their is something wrong.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Isn't it more likely that the real 'target' of this aircraft was a few flying seconds further north - the joint US/RAF ballistic missile warning facility RAF Fylingdales, and that this was a hint to both the UK and US Governments that Fylingdales was vulnerable to a 'bolt from the blue'?

RAF Fylingdales has four missons: "to continuously provide warning of ballistic missile events to both Her Majesty’s Government (through the UK Missile Warning Centre at RAF High Wycombe) and the United States’ authorities (through the Missile and Space Domain, which is situated in the Cheyenne Mountains in Colorado); Secondly, the Station’s complementary mission is to support – on a non-interference basis with the warning mission – the United States’ developing Missile Defense System. The Station’s third job – and secondary mission – is to contribute to the Allied Space Surveillance Network, and this enables, fourthly, the Station to support UK forces worldwide through the Satellite Warning Service."

RAF Fylingdales

zero lift

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This sounds like propaganda. You just don't release info like this. Chances are, the bomber was watched a whole lot longer than they are claiming. Making a public statement about "we found it within 20 miles..." would only boost Russian morale that they are on the right track for stealth technology, while in reality, they are flying a detectable aircraft.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Indeed. Also, if this were true, a whole bunch of high level command would have been dismissed or otherwise disciplined. Did we hear about that?

I remain highly sceptical.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well, not to discount the Russian's capabilities at all or anything, but it is clear that someone isn't doing their job.
Quick slacking off you fools!

I think this has more to do with failing foreign relations than anything else.

Russian's about to steal the Texas motto: "Don't mess with Russia."

Perhaps we westerners have been allowed to grow complacent in our sense of security that the USSR was a shadow of it's former might. With overreaching military operations spreading resources thin, Russia has had plenty of time to regroup in the shadows and now they are making bold moves to reassert their global influence...lest we forget.

This is still hardly a cause for war or any kind of disproportionate retaliatory act. I would guess they'll try to either downplay this or respond with harsh words at the most. There is no bite behind our bark at this point and I think the world knows it.

Tangle with the bear and get your skull chewed on.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
This sounds like propaganda. You just don't release info like this. Chances are, the bomber was watched a whole lot longer than they are claiming. Making a public statement about "we found it within 20 miles..." would only boost Russian morale that they are on the right track for stealth technology, while in reality, they are flying a detectable aircraft.

I think the russians knew damned well we'd have a hard time trying to find it. Thats why they tried this stunt in this first place.

If they'd of seen the plane much earlier they'd have scrambled jets too intercept.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well now....

First off, QRA planes don't do "other missions". Thats why they are QRA planes.

Second, in order to get here it would have had to fly down off the coast of Norway, and possibly off Denmark - that means they missed it too?

Something fishy with the article then. IMHO

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fill0000

Originally posted by hinky

I think the russians knew damned well we'd have a hard time trying to find it. Thats why they tried this stunt in this first place.

If they'd of seen the plane much earlier they'd have scrambled jets too intercept.

The Russians fly planes towards the UK on a very regular basis.

Therefore it's more likely that the UK did see it coming and decided to stand off to create an incident.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by tommyc]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Oh c'mon people. Wake up.

1) There were no interceptors available? How dumb do you have to be to believe that the RAF would not respond to a nuclear bomber 20 miles off the coast?

2) A blackjack? Seriously? They can't detect a 20 year old plane or whatever? And where the hell did it come from? A direct line to england passes over or very close to at least 3 EU union countries... Nobody saw it?

This is a coordinated stunt to get the public riled and setup the russians as the enemy again. C'mon. There are McDonalds in Moscow. This is a new world, and the old money wants us back in the old one. So they finance politicians to engineer social behaviours. And part of that is bogus threats.

The bomber could have landed at Birmingham International for all the diference it would have made in this elite run world. Don't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I tend to agree..

'oh my God, the Russians are out to get us! Let's pump all our money into the army so they can protect us!'

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join