It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Flying Saucer day!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Exactly 60 years ago, a light aircraft was flying over the Cascade Mountains in Washington State, at a height of around 10,000ft.

Suddenly, a brilliant flash of light illuminated the aircraft. Visibility was good and as pilot Kenneth Arnold scanned the sky to find the source of the light, he saw a group of nine shiny metallic objects flying in formation.

He estimated their speed as being around 1,600 miles per hour - nearly three times faster than the top speed of any jet aircraft at the time. He described the craft as arrow-shaped and said they moved in a jerky motion - 'like a saucer would if you skipped it across the water'.

A reporter seized on this phrase and in his story described the objects as 'flying saucers'. The age of the Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) had begun.

story time

it is the term "flying saucer"s birthday :Cool:

Happy flying saucer day ufo people

edited cos I pressed reply by mistake before finnishing the posticles.

[edit on 30/9/2008 by Acidtastic]

edit again cos I'm a muppet and vimtoed the link.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
And a happy Flying Saucer Day to you too!

The article makes for a very interesting read- it's such a shame to think that sixty years have gone by and nothing's really changed-
There are still people out there who don't believe that there is life out there
There are still some higher authorities who would like to (and probably do) keep all this sort of stuff quiet.
And the UFO/alien topics/believers are still laughed at or thought of as "crazy".
And we really don't have any definitive proof that there is anything out there. (tho i like to think there is)

Oh well- i guess there will always be someone who isn't willing to believe....

And since it's flying saucer day- we should all get little flying saucer balloons to take home after the flying saucer's b'day party!

Just my two cents...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
yeah,it's definatly a crying shame that this hasn't been properly disclosed in 60 years. (alot longer if you count before the term was coined)

Maybe one day,we'll all look back and laugh.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
happy flying saucer day

@ star kitten
i am not sure if nothing really had changed
they (officials, goverment, military) want to make us belive that nothing really had changed, so that most people still can.t think the idea that E.T.s are existing.
what really has been developed is a very different story to my opinion

maybe aliens are invited for a nice coffee afternoon at the bush's living room?

just an idea

i am very sure that they used their chance in detecting very well, and have found out as much as possible but trying to keep the public in ignorance!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Happy flying saucer day

What's funny in this story is that despite it seems that Arnold himself described them as flying discs or flying saucer, what he did saw wasn't exactly saucer-shaped

And, VERY interesting detail, an extremely similar object was photographed by William Rhodes from Phoenix, AZ on July 7, 1947: the same day of the Roswell's crash

1947-July 7- William Rhodes of Phoenix, Arizona allegedly saw a disk circling his locality during sunset and took two photographs. The resulting pictures show a disk-like object with a round front and a square tail in plan form. These photographs have been examined by experts who state they are true photographic images and do not appear to be imperfection in the emulsion or imperfections in the lens. Often called the "Roswell UFO." some info taken from: www.nicap.org

www.ufocasebook.com...

These images, often called "the Roswell craft" photos, (as it is widely reported that the Roswell craft was not a saucer, but a "delta" winged craft) appeared in several Southwestern newspapers around the time of Arnold's sighting and match his basic description of a heel shaped, domed flyer; These images were photographed the same day as the Roswell crash which took place in the evening of July 7, 1947, just one state away, in New Mexico.

www.rense.com...

Although the reliability isn’t quite as high as the pictures taken in McMinnville, two shots taken in Phoenix do rank right up there. William A. Rhodes, a self-employed scientist living in Phoenix, reported that he had taken what might be considered the first good photographs of one of the flying discs. Rhodes said he had been on his way to his workshop at the rear of his house at the rear of his house when he heard a distinctive "whoosh" that he believed to be from a P-80 "Shooting Star" fighter jet. He grabbed his camera from the workshop bench and hurried to a small mount in his backyard. The object was circling in the east about a thousand feet in the air.

www.theufochronicles.com...

On July 7, 1947, William Rhodes took photos of an unusual object over Phoenix, Arizona.[45] The photos appeared in a Phoenix newspaper and a few other papers. According to documents from Project Bluebook, an Army counter-intelligence (CIC) agent and an FBI agent interviewed Rhodes on August 29 and convinced him to surrender the negatives. The CIC agent deliberately concealed his true identity, leaving Rhodes to believe both men were from the FBI. Rhodes said he wanted the negatives back, but when he turned them into the FBI the next day, he was informed he wouldn't be getting them back, though Rhodes later tried unsuccessfully.[46][47] The photos were extensively analyzed and would eventually show up in some classified Air Force UFO intelligence reports.

www.thepetitionsite.com...

(can't open Project Blue Book website right now)
www.roswellproof.com...

UNIDENTIFIABLE OBJECTS,
WILLIAMS FIELD, CHANDLER,
ARIZONA.

14 July 1947

MEMORANDUM FOR THE OFFICER IN CHARGE:

On 8 July 1947, this Agent obtained pictures of unidentifiable objects, (Exhibits 1 and 2) from the managing editor of the Arizona Republic newspaper. The pictures were taken by Mr. Williams Rhoads, 4333 N. 14th St., Phoenix, Arizona, at sunset, on 7 July 1947. The subject object flew at unconveivable speeds, making three circles in the vicinity of Mr Rhoads' home. The pictures were taken with a box camera, size 620. The photograph (Exhibit 1) was taken at as the object passed in front of Mr. Rhodes, and Exhibit 2 as the object turned towards Mr. Rhoads. The height of the object was estimated at 1000 feet.

AGENT'S NOTES: See Exhibit 1 and 2, photographs of unifentifiable objects, enlarged aproximately 20 times. No further reports have been received by this office of objects seen by military personnel.

Lynn C. Aldrich, Special Agent, EIC - AAF, FDTRC.

www.rr0.org...

www.rr0.org...

Maybe the incidents were unrelated, but there's at least a very interesting resembleance as well as the dates were extremely close each other.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

I can't think of a better way to celebrate,than reading through the original case. Nice one Internos,top work there

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Yeah good point- you're probably right.
Let's hope one day, we all get full disclosure.

lol- that's something i'd like to see!!

new topics

top topics

join