It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble to be augmented with powerful new infrared observing capability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Exciting times ahead I feel.
Now Hubble can finally search the outer solar system with the right equipment.

Astronomical observations at near-infrared wavelengths offer unique opportunities for studying the universe. Important classes of low-temperature objects, such as the lowest-mass stars and brown dwarfs, as well as distant members of our own solar system, are readily detected in this wavelength regime. The penetrating power of infrared radiation for seeing through interstellar dust also permits views of the critical processes of star formation in galactic regions that are too dust-enshrouded for study at shorter wavelengths. Perhaps most important, near-infrared observations permit the detection of distant galaxies and supernovae, seen as they were in early epochs of cosmic time, because the expansion of the universe stretches their light – that was originally emitted at ultraviolet or visible wavelengths – red-shifting it to be detected as infrared radiation when it arrives at Earth.

we are finding and classifying new dwarf planets (Or plutoids if you will) every day. Imagine what we will discover now...

There is al lot more technical data in the article I wont post, but I worth a look if you get the chance. Article

I would also like to point out from the quote above

brown dwarfs, as well as distant members of our own solar system
Note Brown dwarf AS WELL AS distant members. Not necessarily one and the same. I thought I would clear this up early for those nibiruists thinking there is hope....

join