It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military force, technology have limits, Defense Secretary Robert Gates warns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Military force, technology have limits, Defense Secretary Robert Gates warns

www.latimes.com

In an address to students and faculty at National Defense University, he said the Pentagon had erred by favoring complex weapons systems that take years to develop. Instead, he said, the military should look for the "75% solution," favoring less advanced technologies that could make an immediate difference in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Gates' remarks were in sharp contrast to the views of his predecessor, Donald H. Rumsfeld.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Air Force Looks at New Microwave Weapon
Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq
U.S. Sends the Reaper to Iraq
Bob Woodward reveals existence of secret weapon in Iraq

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is suprising to hear from the defense secretary. A significant u-turn for the defense department.

Are they seeking to save money? Perhaps there will be a cut in the untold billions spent on military R&D? Is Gates going to change military tactics in Afghanistan and Iraq before he leaves office with the rest of the Bush Admin? Or is it too little, too late?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think this is a very interesting development. The United States has based their invasions on superior technology ever since Vietnam. It is a major change in defense policy on their behalf and it will be worth taking note how their close allies such as the UK and Australia approach this change.

Gates could have perhaps used a better term than a "75% solution," though. Perhaps, '1944 approach?'

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Do not be fooled, we absolutely need to keep up our advanced research and development projects. However, I believe that what Defense Secretary Robert Gates is hinting at is that we also need clever inventions, even if they do not represent exotic technology. For example, the "Dragon Skin" anti-ballistics vest is a newly developed piece of equipment, which absolutely has the ability to be placed into production immediately. It does not represent STAR Wars type technology, or consist of rare elements, but it does represent a huge leap forward in personal protection devices. If you have ever watched Discovery Channel's "Future Weapons" Program, they actually featured this vest Twice. They layed it on-top of a standard issue Fragmentary Hand Grenade, then detonated the device. The first layer of cloth on the vest was singed and shredded, but there remained NO penetration whatsoever. THIS is what the SECDEF is speaking of, new technology which improves upon existing equipment, and can be manufactured in bulk within a realtively short period of time.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Secretary Gates' words seem to be open to interpretation. If he is going to terminate the wasteful elaborate projects and invest in dragonskin, armored vehicles then I will be impressed. I get the feeling though that he is pointing to new ways to win the war. Not just the defensive aspects.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I like how no one mentions that when you lay your body down on a grenade with a dragonskin vest on, you will not die from shrapnel, but you will liquify your internal organs and die from the shockwave.

Beware the unspoken word, it can kill in silence.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Well I think its just that tanks and soldiers are really the only time tested thing that wins wars.
All the newfangled stuff takes to long to much fiddling about etc.
But of course it makes alot of money for private contractors.
I think this guy just sees the reality of it.
That the current administration was in all of this from the start solely to make themselves richer.
Not to truly fix anything or solve the problems there are.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
you will not die from shrapnel, but you will liquify your internal organs and die from the shockwave.

Well noted! I agree it is only practical for firefights. If Gates is refering to low cost inventions like dragon skin, what others could he have in mind?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well what one also could see is that if the US ever get hit by a EMP weapon. Their high tec. Weapons would be usless.

EMP weapons is probebely the biggest threat to a nation to day.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Given that Americas allies cant afford to spend the same amount on defence the likes of Australia more or less take this approach already while still taking US developed technology. There isnt much here that I haven't and other Rumsfeld detractors must have been saying since the insurgency began in Iraq . Still this shows why I have a lot of respect for Gates I would like to see him continue in his role in the next admin . The defence contractors who have been riding the gravy train for so long wont like this one bit .

new topics

top topics

join