It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phones to track your carbon footprint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Mobile phones to track your carbon footprint

www.guardian.co.uk

Keeping track of your carbon footprint could become as simple as slipping a mobile phone in your pocket: a London-based start-up company has developed software for mobile phones that uses global positioning satellites to work out automatically whether you are walking, driving or flying and then calculate your impact on the environment.

Carbon Diem's inventors claim that, by using GPS to measure the speed and pattern of movement, their algorithm can identify the mode of transport being used...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Zachariah believes companies could also benefit from the software, as firms committing to reducing their environmental impact may need to collect travel data on their employees. He accepts there could be concerns over privacy but says the software can be used to record only the carbon impact, not the actual routes.

Friends of the Earth's climate campaigner, Robin Webster, said: "Individuals have an important role to play in tackling climate change - and technologies like the Carbon Diem could help people cut their carbon footprint."

Oh great. So now I have a carbon footprint! But I don't want a carbon footprint. Oh, too bad, you have one anyway. And if the eco-loonies get their way, I'll be paying for that carbon footprint one way or the other before it's all over with. Tax me, my house, my car, my food, my gas, and now....my carbon footprint.

Between cell phones causing cancer and now causing carbonosis, (the fear of overcarbonating your environment), just glad I stopped using one years ago. No mo for me.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join