It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to Make Statement on Financial Crisis in the Morning - Will He Use Executive Powers?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbass
Ohh sweet jesus please tell me this is not happening!
If that S.O.B. declares martial law tomorrow morning I will be so pissed. I have alot of shopping to do tomorrow. I have a 10 o'clock pedicure and
a few odds and ends to get at Wal-mart.

What is the popular opinion on what this is all about?

Oh, dear God. Please, please tell me you were being sarcastic?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPC_D
reply to post by cbass

My unit has not received any warning orders so I don't think he will declare martial law I think he would be remiss in his duty’s if he did not inform the military because we are a big part of martial law you need some one to enforce it. And you know his dumb behind can’t do it alone.

Not necessarily. They will use police first. Only when it gets out of hand will they start using military. (Or, in other words, about 1 week after martial law is declared.)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I wouldnt be suprised one bit if Georgie boy tried to pull a fast one tomorrow while congress is adjourned for the holiday.

It wouldnt be a shock to see him try and pass some package by the seat of his pants, itn not like he hasnt disobeyed proper protocol in the past and applied his special executive authority to get something pushed through.

If this happens there will be riots across the country. People are not happy right now.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

He, he, not only he can use the police first but also he can pull the private security forces to do that, after all Rumsfeld made sure we have a willing and able security force for hire.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by cbass

Indeed! I too want a share of those "told you so" rights!

Notice the distinct lack of posters that used to crow how this would never happen, the US is too mighty, etc etc....

It was just a matter of time before the whole house of cards came crumbling down

Sorry, but I honestly fear checking into MassMutual right now to look at my 401K.

You are rejoicing in the downfall of my retirement. You are rejoicing in the destruction of the lives of millions of people....

Just so you can say, "I told you so....."

Just because you hate the United States doesn't mean you have to celebrate the pain and sorrow that is visited upon its citizens.

Just my thoughts,

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I don't thing he mean it that way Mrwupy, I am also very happy with the bail out results but I also aware that my husband retirement is in jeopardy.

But like I said we will survive.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Sorry, but I honestly fear checking into MassMutual right now to look at my 401K.

You are rejoicing in the downfall of my retirement. You are rejoicing in the destruction of the lives of millions of people....

Just so you can say, "I told you so....."

Just because you hate the United States doesn't mean you have to celebrate the pain and sorrow that is visited upon its citizens.

Just my thoughts,

I agree completely. The dimwits here who are rooting for a financial collapse either have nothing saved and therefor, nothing to lose, or they just plain ignorant.

There is this group of people who apparently live miserable existences and need something exciting to happen in their lives. Others are duped by charlatans like Alex Jones who laughs at their gullibility because it's all schtick to him. He doesn't believe a word of the nonsense some of you take as gospel.

There will be no declaration of Martial Law tomorrow. Why on Earth would that be necessary? Or perhaps, in the Alex Jonesian world some of you live in, there is rioting in the streets.

In real life, there is no such thing. Keep shrieking though. It seems to make you all so happy.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

TY for the luv...haha...Let's just see what the morning light brings. Thinking about making a bank run; I really hoped it would never come to this...but, we are as ready as we can be here I suppose. We are self-employed, so we are pretty well screwed...ah, Life goes on...Georgie Porgie had better have some answers for the sheeple; 'coz I'm not buying ANY of whatever he tries to sell.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Where do you see me "rejoicing"? Being right doesn't make me happy, but I have been saying this whole debt/housing bubble could not continue forever and for a long time, there have been plenty of "experts" here on ATS saying it could never happen.

Well, take a look now.

I too have a substantial pension fund which I am far to timid to check on. Fortunately, there is at least another 30 years until I retire.

I am also fortunate as I wasn't stupid enough to get into the whole housing game anyway. It was obvious that the prices were unsustainable, so I stayed clear.

The only debt I have is a small personal loan, which is due to be paid off next May, and about £200 on my credit card, which I'm paying off next week.

Me and the missus are going to be saving our cash over the next two years and I'll be then able to pick up a nice 4 bed at a nice, realistic bargain price, rather than 1/2 Million squids plus my sould, which they were going for last year.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hi guys,

Check out this youtube. This representive, Michael Burgess says we are already under Marshall Law. Check out the last few seconds of his talk.

Blessings

www.dailynewscaster.com...

He mentions martial law at the 1:19 mark

[edit on 29-9-2008 by wakeupcall1111]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by mrwupy

Where do you see me "rejoicing"? Being right doesn't make me happy, but I have been saying this whole debt/housing bubble could not continue forever and for a long time, there have been plenty of "experts" here on ATS saying it could never happen.

Anyone jumping on the "I told you so" bandwagon is happy, if for no other reason than they were right.

Perhaps my post was harsh, I'm sorry.

There is an old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

We my friend are living in interesting times.

Damn those Chinese

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Martial law won't help the markets, geeze people, get a grip. Red and blue lists? Detention? He is addressing the nation I'm sure, to try and keep everyone's hopes up, that this will indeed be passed.. we have been thru tough times before, we shall prevail, we must not let our prejudices of Wall Street or banks get in the way of saving the nations economy, yada yada yada. I'm sure it's as much for other nation's peace of mind, as our own.

There are no violent protests, no one is dying, why would he declare martial law out of the blue? Now, if he did try to execute his authority to pass this anyway, and THEN if there were rioting and violence, perhaps then he would do so, with some semblence of justification. I am definately not above thinking this nitwit of a world leader would do so, but not for naught.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
As a canuck I'm not sure that the President has the power to overrule congress. Anyone?

Bush does not have the power to overrule Congress on this matter, or declare martial law, or really do anything whatsoever. No USA President has that power, except when some IMMEDIATE threat occurs, during the brief time that Congress is out of session, before they return.

If Bush was to attempt to expand his powers in any way, or declare martial law, he would immediately be removed from office. And the US congress is ready to do that -- they would love to do that. (I think WE ALL would love to see that.)

Let's see what happens. I suspect he is going to address the nation and talk about how disappointed he is in Congress. Big deal. That won't help things much, will it?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Historically these things haven't been done publicly. It would be very odd for Bush to come out and announce publicly that he'd just put the economy on lock-down. It's much more likely that he'd just do it and leak it to the media, probably on a Friday evening. The fact that he's appearing in the morning definitely means that his words will be intended or expected to influence the markets immediately, this is the point that caught my attention. I think he'll be speaking about the failure of the bailout bill to pass the House, trying to shore up confidence that things are still okay and build support for the Thursday vote. The markets won't buy it and will continue to slide.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wakeupcall1111

..Geez... here we go again... Congress is in fact under ML, this isn't the best link, but it'll do...
polidics.com...
We, as a Nation, are still okay. Congress just did this to push the bill thru faster ( not that it did any good...)
Be Well.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
To Gools and Buck Division,

Bush can overide Congress as per the US Constitution

Article II, Section 3

He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.

Can he do that tomorrow with a new or existing Executive Order...possible but not very likely as the ramifications would be significant.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
As a canuck I'm not sure is the pResident has the power to overrule congress.

Anyone?

The Bush administration bypassed congress with the War on Terror.

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The interesting point here is that a decsion has been made, and it does not favor the bailout.

You cannot simply say there is no time for consideration, so the President must act independantly.

If Bush tries to act unilaterally, he could very well be stepping in front of McCain's campaign bus.

Without a doubt given the current atmosphere, there would be those in his own party who would gladly give him a little nudge to be sure he goes beneath the wheel.

A little human sacrifice is good for the festival spirit of the party!

What better way to get your "Maverick" on than to slay the current leader before he can get out the door!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh yes, the shoe is about to drop with a big bang!!!!!

Bush is not going to take this lying down. No way!!!!!

Get ready, people!!!!!

Thanks OP for this article!

[edit on 29-9-2008 by dgtempe]

Why is it every post you make you say the same generalized thing.

"Here it comes!"
"Get ready to hit the deck"

Just crap like that, very informative but utterly pointless.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Bush wolud not have the nerve to try something like Marshal Law he's gonna give a pep talk try and distance his Admin from this mess and try and save face.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join