It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is our gas crisis being ignored?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Why is our gas crisis being ignored?

ac360.blogs.cnn.com

Hello. I am a correspondent with CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360. My family and I are also residents of Atlanta, Georgia. My question for you: Are Atlanta and nearby regional cities such as Charlotte and Nashville part of America?

The reason I ask is this: We have almost no gasoline, while almost all other cities in the United States have all the gasoline they want.

We are spending hours cruising the streets and highways looking for gas. Only a small percentage of stations have fuel and you never know who will have it.

Many gas station owners jack up their prices and scores of vehicles lining up are creating dangerous driving conditions on clogged streets and highways.

People cut in line, either accidentally or on purpose, and tempers flare. Violence is always a possibility.

Now, I remember back in the early 70’s and the late 70’s when the whole nation suffered like this. But we suffered collectively, as a nation.

Now, it’s only our small region of the country suffering. The experts say it’s because of supply problems as a result of the hurricanes. Never mind that Houston and Dallas, two cities much closer to Ike have gas.

We are expected to chill and not worry. I say that because some of our local politicians insist that this is not a major problem and that people are “panicking.” Hey, I’m as calm as can be. But I am angry at the lack of understanding.

I hate to tell you political leaders who don’t drive your own cars all that much, but this is a major problem. In the last week, I have traveled to Miami, New York City, and Anchorage, Alaska and watched enviously as drivers got gas easily with no wait.

So here’s my thought: Since we’re all part of America, maybe some of our national politicians can get us some gas. I figure if this was happening in Washington (or places like New York or LA) for that matter, this wouldn’t be allowed to happen.

Meanwhile, maybe some of the politicians in Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, can get a little more worked up — whether they agree or not — about something that is causing much havoc in their states.

If y’all don’t think it worth helping us, perhaps we’ll vote you out. That is, if we have the gas to make it to the polls.

Sincerely,
Gary Tuchman
AC360 Correspondent

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This problem is not going away it is getting worse!!! We are being lied to first they blamed the hurricanes then the populous now what?!?!?! Hey if people are hoarding so much gas then why are they waiting in lines for hours often times running out of gas in the process and having to push their car to the pump! I have heard it blamed on the "special gasoline formula" used in Atlanta, which does nothing to explain WHY cities in North and South Carolina are still having problems. On top of that folks the problem is spreading into Virginia and Alabama!

I believe (and others) that this may have started because of the credit crisis but is continuing due to possible credit issues. There is also mention by several other people in several of the threads on ATS dealing with this crisis, recent National Guard training activities! Could it be that people in these states are being targeted to stop them from leaving if (when) things start to get bad! Maybe due to their reputation and the whole civil war history, "southerners" are thought to be more "rebellious"?!?! (please I am just thinking of this as an idea and do not believe all people from south eastern states to be any given way!)

ON TOP OF ALL THIS NO GAS = NO FOOD.... PEOPLE!

ac360.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

No problem with gas here in CA...

Although your shortage stinks of some sort of BS...

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My concern is that it will spread! I am in Maryland and we are fine here but less than 100 miles from us there are places short on gas.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I just don't understand totally what's going on with these gas issues. I'm in Canada and we were somewhat warned after Ike that our prices would rise substantially as well. Well, they did, for like a day or two and have now dropped well below what they have been since around April...nearly 6 months ago. I'm not complaining of the low gas prices, nor am I trying to rub it in to anyone that either has no access to gas, or is paying exorbitant money for theirs. But how can this be??

Michelle

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have BEEN trying to draw attention to THIS for days now..YET I had hardly any responses..I started the thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and here is another that I started..

There are 6-7 states now without gas..I've lost count..
Tenn., N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Ala, Georgia, Parts of Kentucky, and today I read Washington DC..You can find all the info I have collected in the above links...
WAKE UP AMERICA
Credit started freezing as each bank went down..THATS why each state had no GAS..Gas is purchased on CREDIT..
And if ONE more person writes that its the Hurricanes..
they need to step out of that BUBBLE..(pop)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

That is the point... How after more than 3 weeks following a hurricane can the gas still be in short supply! I get some disruptions but we are talking about a major american city here with nearly NO GAS! I talked to a friend of mine who lives in a subarb of Atlanta and they were told to stay home from work today, because of the gas issues! We are so worried about the economy but here they are staying home because they have no GAS, and no one seems all that upset about it!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Q: Why are we having gas shortages in Atlanta? A: Hurricanes Gustav and Ike hit back-to-back. The refineries shut down in anticipation of Gustav. Then Ike hit and the gas production and refineries didn’t restart because of power outages. That also affected the operation of major pipelines that move gas from refining areas in the Gulf Coast to facilities throughout the Southeast.

Atlanta Gas Shortage
The "pipeline" has been discombobulated.......

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I feel for you all, but you need to understand that places like Nashville..
Huge city too, ran out 3 weeks before Atlanta, and they still have none..
Go on youtube.com and type gas shortage in the search, make sure you get the newest to date video..there are many from all over the USA..
I believe it has not been reported because it is due to Credit freezes.
Now if they did report, that the gas shortage was due to banks failing creating credit freezes..what do you think people would do??
PANIC..thats why it is not being reported..
Truckers cant get gas either..they bring food to stores..
Think about it...

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It is easy to ignore because I am in DENVER. Until the shortage hits here, I will give it more consideration. So, you know, you gotta gas-up your car somehow....

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It is easy to ignore because I am in DENVER. Until the shortage hits here, I will give it more consideration. So, you know, you gotta gas-up your car somehow

The POINT is..even if your state has gas you WILL soon be effected!
Trucks that are coming to, from, or thru any of the "No gas" states, will not beable to refuel, so your FOOD that you are planning to put in your cupboards soon, most likely will NOT be at the store...But you'll have gas.
Do you all get it now???

link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

I wonder the same thing. Even here on ATS it is not given much attention, so Starred and Flagged!

link   
www.ajc.com...

Nashville has been a BIG question for a few days I have gotten conflicting reports on lasting improvement of the gas supply in Nashville! This article says:
"Bly said Nashville had fuel shortages similar to those in metro Atlanta, but now 70 to 80 percent of the city is being supplied."

Needless-to-say- there is varing information being given passed around the media and the web. As of yesterday evening there were no you-tube videos of gas lines in nashville in the last 3-4 days, since about 9/24 or 9/25 If I were to believe anything I would say most likely Nashville has NOT improved or has improved less than reported but I would like some confirmation either way, from a least a few people!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have been watching Nashville youtubes for over a week, and yesterday found they were gone off you tube...you are correct.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MissysWorld

As have I...

I think it would be great to start another thread, with a list of southern cities and get people in the areas to respond to just what is happening in thier area currently, when it started and ended or if it has improved at all... I will try to see if I can find a good list of cities somewhere.

[edit on 9/29/2008 by kupoliveson]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If they ever took out the ethanol and other additives that are required in the gas, gas would be a lot easier to produce and get out. I think some of it has to do that the companies off Texas and LA are still not producing at full capacity. Here where I am in Texas we seem to have reg unleaded and diesel only. Things do seem kinda weird with this gas shortage.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Can you please send me the any info about Washington, DC! I am defintally filling up tonight, since I am down to about 1/3 of a tank! I am not going to get stuck in the Baltimore/DC area if crazy stuff goes down!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

Apparently Gary does not have time to watch the news? I've seen at least a report or two a day on this. What more can they say? The last I saw this morning predicted all will be back to normal in one to two weeks as the repairs are completed. Perhaps he thinks they should repeat the same info over and over again?

Since it is a local and not a national issue, I'd imagine there is more reporting on local news in the affected area's? Sounds like this Gary person is just whining for attention. If he really is in the news industry, he knows the timetable.

We have high priced gas because we are in Alaska. Atlanta is having gas shortages because they live in the area serviced by those who got wiped out in Ike. Seems simple enough.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

What do you want people to do? A Hurricane like Ike is an act of God. They are obviously doing the repairs as quickly as they can. Ike was a huge storm and their are only so many people to do the repairs.

Those of you affected could go volunteer and help with the work? They are probably desperate for more help right now.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sure, I have seen a "few" reports on the national news!! Also it is not a "local" problem it is a regional crisis affecting at last count 7 different states and counting. I believe on CNN at last count there was 2 mentions of it... Not exctally what I would call appropriate considering it has almost brought the city of Atlanta to a grinding halt! A MAJOR METROPOLIS IN THIS COUNTRY CAN NO LONGER FUNCTION!
Sure they have said "2-weeks" but well when were those hurricanes exactaly? Ike touched down on the 13th of September that was 17 days ago! How long does it take a tanker to drive to GA, according to mapquest about 18 hours... So what is the problem? Yeah I get that the "pipelines are messed up" yeah sure no problem with that, however this is not the first time it has happened and according to my friends in Altanta it has never been this bad for this long EVER! They told me a few days prior to this tops not going on 3 weeks!
Atlanta get special formulated gas but the rest of the South-east does not so it is immaterial to this arrguement!
Finally the problem has appeared to GROW since it was first reported not diminish so did the pipeline get worse since then?

See the problems here! Are you in Atlanta? My friends are and I can tell you this is impacting thier daily life in unimaginable ways and they have said even the local news is down playing the reality of life there!

FYI--- The population of city of Atlanta and the immediate surrounding area is 5.25 million while the ENTIRE population of the state of Alaska is 670 hundred thousand! Perhaps that may be why you are having such difficulity grasping what a big problem this is!

quickfacts.census.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9/29/2008 by kupoliveson]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join