It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicidal bible quotes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A nice list of unhinged,homicidal bible quotes from the good book.
home.earthlink.net...
www.youtube.com...

How do followers of (any sect of) abarahamic lore explain away these murderous instructions to true beleivers?
Is it all just a big conspiracy by non beleivers (heathens,goys,kuffars etc..) to misrepresent the abrahamic god and take these quotes out of of context?

I take it that most religious folks unquestioningly beleive that the deity issuing these psychotic instructions to grievously murder sabbath workers,adulterers,non beleivers,unruly teenagers and slaves in cold blood is the father of Jesus so how do they justify the benevolent,compassionate,empathic advice of one compared to the malevolent,malicious,vindictive advice of the other?

To my mind just cherrypicking the nice bits out of the bible and willfully ignoring all the homicidal remarks is a bit of a copout.
Also,excuses regarding new and old covenants are evasively weak as they explain nothing and fail to address the issue.

Its also interesting that China is now toying with the idea of deeming all the ´abrahamic lore´ books as ´extreme graphic publications´ due to all the genocide,incest,rape and murderous instruction contained within their pages.

Are they right,if not why not?

Cheers Karl

[edit on 01/12/01 by karl 12]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

If I were able, I'd Star and Flag this all day !

No, I wouldn't blame China one bit. The Old Testament is worse than Desperate Housewives with a more than healthy dose of Stephen King

I take it that most religious folks unquestioningly beleive that the deity issuing these psychotic instructions to grievously murder sabbath workers,adulterers,non beleivers,unruly teenagers and slaves in cold blood is the father of Jesus so how do they justify the benevolent,compassionate,empathic advice of one compared to the malevolent,malicious,vindictive advice of the other?

The above is one of the most penetrating, Needs Answering comments I've seen in this or any other forum. Masterful

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

The video was already discussed in depth in THIS 49 pages thread.

Then pretty much everything in the text article has been discussed on ATS multiple times as well:

Alleged Bible Contradictions.
Slavery.
The Rigorous Jewish Law.
The role of husbands and wives.
The meaning of 'This Generation.'

reply to post by Dock6

The supposed difference between the 'OT and NT' God has been explained so many times as well.

Maybe I just need to take a break from ATS. I'm having massive topical burn out and it is the same thing over and over and over again.

It amuses me to see threads of the same subject be closed in every single other forum except the CIR forum. It is the same material over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I particularly like this one.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Then pretty much everything in the text article has been discussed on ATS multiple times as well:

Alleged Bible Contradictions.
Slavery.
The Rigorous Jewish Law.
The role of husbands and wives.
The meaning of 'This Generation.'

It is the same material over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I know. It suggests an inept author wrote the holy book, so much apologetics.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Edit: NM. I'm editing this post out. There's not point in butting heads with or taking the bait of TSOA. Everyone only loses.

Toodles.

[edit on 9/29/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

lol. Good call, ash.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Hey, that reminds me...

"From where do you derive your morals if you don't believe in God?"

"Same place as you..."

"How could that be?"

"Well, where do you get yours?"

"God, of course."

"How does he tell you what to do?"

"The Bible, His word."

"The Bible contains plenty of teachings a decent person would judge as evil or bloodthirsty. I certainly would."

"That's why we only follow the 'good' passages."

"The Bible does not give any criteria to choose between them. Who are you, as a follower of this God, to choose arbitrarily which of His words to accept or reject?"

"..."

"Therefore, our morality must come from a deeper source, something anyone has access to."

The argument within this hypothetical discussion can be adapted to undermine any question regarding "god-given" morality.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyCM
Hey, that reminds me...

That was wonderful, Sly. Did you come up with that?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ash-thanks for the links.
I appreciate many folks who unconditionally subscribe to the organised abrahamic religions are reticent to address these points (or even aware of them) but I think,if people are being straightfoward and honest,than it can only be a good thing to discuss them.
Cheers Karl

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Originally posted by SlyCM
Hey, that reminds me...

That was wonderful, Sly. Did you come up with that?

Sort of. Rudimentary versions or allusions can be found from numerous sources. I recognized the significance of the point being made and tweaked it slightly into what I posted. I use that argument often in real life, because it truly can be adapted to undermine any "god-given morals" assertion.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyCM

I wouldn't really call it a good one...not really fond of this tactic - this sort of hypothetical conversation is prone to the fatal error that one side is assuming (unsound or weak) arguments for the other side, then breaking them down. I doubt more than a small minority of christians would be following the sort of logic you outline in the conversation.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I agree with you, I'm generally not fond of those style arguments. However, that was sort of meant more as an example to convey the core point. So far the argument has in fact worked in real life several times, though perhaps my luck will run out.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Star and flag from me!

I noticed in your first link, about 1/3 of the verses came from the NT--and I know there are more--so the "Jesus renewed the covenant" idea just doesn't hold water.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I don't see it out of the question that an Almighty God wouldn't command His followers to destroy those people who rejected His instructions.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by karl 12

I don't see it out of the question that an Almighty God wouldn't command His followers to destroy those people who rejected His instructions.

Try that in court...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

reply to post by karl 12

Try that in court...

Do we have courts that operate under Mosaic Law today?

I'm not aware of any.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Doesn't have to be a mosiac court, just the one that would try a person who tried to use the "God told me to" defense.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Doesn't have to be a mosiac court, just the one that would try a person who tried to use the "God told me to" defense.

That person would either be a person practicing Judaism or a Christian who acted in direct violation of the Christian faith.

They should be prosecuted for their crime. Christ came and made a new covenant with man (Testament).

Maybe these questions should be directed to those who practice Judaism? Those folks reject the New Testament.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

reply to post by karl 12

Well,thats just great-a homicidal nutjob of a god and the wholesale mass murder of anyone who doesn't mindlessly and unquestioningly acquiesse to the cult logic of the abrahamic texts.
What a joke.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

reply to post by karl 12

If god wants people dead, can't 'he' just kill them 'himself'? Leaving the dirty work to men, who will be judged, sounds more like the values held by the 'enemy'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join