It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasering of Mom with Baby 'Necessary' Police Say

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Tasering of Mom with Baby 'Necessary' Police Say

www.canada.com

VANCOUVER - Vancouver police are defending a decision by officers to Taser a 16-year-old mother who wouldn't hand her baby over to social workers last Monday, saying the officers were afraid to engage in a tug of war with the mother for what they said was a critically ill baby.

However, the great-grandmother of one-month-old Taige said Friday the baby boy was not critically ill.

Doreen Duncan said she saw the baby and his parents -- her grandson Scott Michell, 17, and Misha Peterson, 16, -- the night before the Taser incident.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-9-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If you read this full story it does not sound at all like the child's life had been determined to be medically in danger. Taser happy. Use em if you got em.

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-9-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

====
Mod Edit: Snipped quotes
Please review this link:
Breaking News Guidelines

[edit on 29/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It sounds like the child was in good hands to begin with. This kind of story really sickens me. No one has to earn their own child back, and what they failed to do was show, beyond a reason of a doubt, a case of abuse and negligence. What the family painted was a picture of mother that has bonded well with her baby, and aside from whatever procedures she already was involved with due to his condition, she should not have been in a process of going through invasive "hoops" because they were doing good on their own. Any other situation has not been offered up. There is no alternate story being given other than the families one. Well, one more child who will be undergoing separation anxiety. The textbook model for that is 40%, nearly half, of all children who experience separation anxiety (even full time daycare qualifies as 80% of children show the symptoms) will become sociopaths.
Children need to bond with their primary caregiver, which is in most cases, their mother.
Without grounds, and they had better be extremely good, what was just done was an unimaginable crime to me.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Give me a taser, and put me in a room with these taser happy officers. I'll have some fun. I'm sick of hearing about this crap. There should be a law, "If you taser someone in the line of duty, you must taser yourself immediately afterwards, otherwise face criminal prosecution." That would cut down on these incidences.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is ridiculous. Tasering a 16 year old carrying her baby!!!!!! What is wrong with those social workers and the policemen? Are they retarded or just plain sadistic?

This went too far WELL before this incident. The police have proved they are not capable of carrying these weapons without misusing them therefore they should be stripped of them immediately before anyone else gets hurt or dies.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
But Tasers are harmless!

/sarcasm off.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have a question about this as well -

If she was holding the child in her arms are the affects of the taser transferred to or felt by the child?? Does this mean the child was tasered too?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

If she was holding the child in her arms are the affects of the taser transferred to or felt by the child?? Does this mean the child was tasered too?

I wondered exactly the same thing. It would be a useful thing to know if I ever got tasered myself. It would be a small consolation but it would be nice to know if I could 'share the love around' maybe against some of the police trying to taser me.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Nazi's and the Soviets separating the children from the parents to make sure they where Educated correctly in the dogma of the 'State' ! These Government Goons need a conscience implant. The power struggle for our very lives is growing at an accelerated rate now. If you dare to fail to comply right here and now, your victimised by the state and the hell with you. We are the governments chattle and thats exactly how they think about the citizenry!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Most likely not, as the electric current passes from one electrode to the other in a small space on the body where the voltage is concentrated to give a bigger shock effect.

Also read this:

"They felt it was critical for them to intervene as they were afraid the child might be smothered, and they applied the Taser to her arm and upper back and she released the child," she said.

She was not zapped once, but twice. What kind of policeman can't overpower a 16 year old girl without resorting to using weapons?
I've personally been hit a couple of times with a tazer and when the current passes through you're muscles, you go into a uncontrolable spasm and you're muscles contract far stronger than you are able too naturally.
That could of easily squished her baby or flung him/her across the room, then what? Charge her for child abuse?

This just pisses in my cheerios, you don't use weapons on unarmed kids...

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I just read this as well.

"She didn't want to let go of the baby. I don't know why they did that to her. She's a good mother and to get Tasered while she had the baby in her arms -- she's still got the marks on her neck," Duncan said.

On her "neck" when they stated "Upper back" earlier. That could easily kill or cause severe nerve damage to someone if they where to get shocked on there spinal cord.
I know I would not be here to post this message if my girlfriend got tazered and my kid taken away.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Originally posted by ZindoDoone

The power struggle for our very lives is growing at an accelerated rate now. If you dare to fail to comply right here and now, your victimised by the state and the hell with you.

Exactly right, ZD!
Protest verbally, and be arrested.
Show emotional outrage, and be confined for mental evaluation.
Physically resist a little, and be a victim of force.
Fight all-out, and be killed.

Is there a non-violent solution to this type of insanity by the au6th6or6ities?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
A mother's first instinct is to protect her babies. It happens in the animal kingdom and it happens here. It seems police are not being trained enough to make sound decisions. Instead they get a slap on the wrist and a "Boys will be boys".

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The baby was not critically ill. The cops were not coming to save the baby. The department is spinning it that way to save face.

The cops came because the social workers called them.

And this is why the social workers did that...

It appears that when Peterson didn't report back to the group home with the baby Sunday evening, social workers and the police came looking for her, Duncan said.

"They phoned me and said it was a missing persons case and I told them that everything was fine and that they would likely be at Scott's place," she said.

So they showed up and wanted the baby. The mother was resistant and emotionally distraught. So what should they have done?...

Not tase her. The social workers showed up with the cops to take the baby away. Of course she is going to be resistant. The social workers should have negotiated with the mother prior to calling the cops. Since that wasn't the case, the cops had to deal with a highly resistant mother. I would hope the cops have negotiation skills as well?? Alas, the cops are synonymous with taser use now for a reason

Bottom line is: the social workers probably didn't need to call the cops to begin with. And the cops probably could have calmed her down with words not electricity.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm going to make a generalisation here based on deductive reasoning and probability. It is likely (but not a certainty) that the same cops involved in this situation are also of the mindset and attitude required to actually order a t-shirt that says "We get up early, to beat the crowds", followed by "2008 DNC."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2008-9-30 by primamateria]

[edit on 2008-9-30 by primamateria]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
On the subject of overwhelming police force and tasering against helpless individuals..

RCMP subdue hospitalized man, 82, with Taser

Last Updated: Friday, May 9, 2008 | 1:33 AM ET

Frank Lasser, 82, says RCMP officers could have subdued him without resorting to using a Taser gun. (CBC)

An elderly man in Kamloops, B.C., was zapped three times on the torso by a police stun gun while lying on his hospital bed, CBC News has learned.

Frank Lasser, 82, appeared fragile Thursday when he showed the Taser marks on his body and talked about the ordeal he went through Saturday.

"They [police] should have known I had bypass surgery," Lasser told CBC News.

Lasser has had heart surgery and needs to carry an apparatus to supply oxygen at all times. He was in the Royal Inland Hospital Saturday due to pneumonia but has since been released.

Frank Lasser shows the marks left on his body after being stunned three times by a Taser. (CBC)

RCMP said nurses called police after Lasser became delirious and pulled a knife out of his pocket.

Lasser told CBC News that he sometimes becomes delusional when he can't breathe properly. He said he couldn't explain why he refused to let go of the knife even after the Mounties arrived.

"I was laying on the bed by then and the corporal came in, or the sergeant, I forget which it was, and said to the guys, 'OK, get him because we got more important work to do on the street tonight,'" Lasser said.

"And then, bang, bang, bang, three times with the laser, and I tell you, I never want that again."

Kamloops RCMP Cpl. Scott Wilson said using pepper spray in the Lasser case could have contaminated the hospital. (CBC)

Kamloops RCMP said Thursday that officers had no other option but to deploy the conducted energy weapon when Lasser refused to drop his knife.

"Whether the person is 80 or 20, we are dealing with a person who had a deadly weapon in their hand," Cpl. Scott Wilson told CBC News.

"We could not deploy our … pepper spray, because we could potentially contaminate the entire hospital."

Lasser said there were three RCMP officers in his hospital room and believes they could have easily handled him without the use of a Taser.

"They could have gone in there and taken an old man without any trouble at all," said Lasser, who is an ex-prison guard.

source

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That's for sure, Lucid, Star!

I know the cops had negotiating skills in previous decades; but now all
they seem to know is FORCE FORCE and greater FORCE...

It's pathetic.

They should have shown up, seen that the baby was ok, and LEFT!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Not justifying the use of a taser, or police force...
What I see are underlying issues here that are not reported in the article.
Such as why was she staying at a group home?
What were the conditions of her staying there?
Why did she choose not to report back that evening?
Why were their social workers involved in the first place?

On the issue of using a taser, they will always justify it in their own minds as necessary. Sad but true.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
A tug of war for the baby, would have allowed the police to have a hand on the baby. A Taser would result in the baby being dropped I would assume.

Sound like excessive force for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join