It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez goes Nuclear!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
With Russia's help of course.

www.foxnews.com...

So, the other shoe has dropped. This really comes as no surprise in light of the recent stop over in Venezuela by Russian strategic bombers. Not to mention the bomber refuelling base going up in Cuba. What I find most interesting is that, according to this article, it was Putin who put forth this proposal. He must really smell blood in the water with regards to the United States.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

Putin has gotten all nostalgic for the cold war period and wants to rebuild the soviet empire. Chavez wants to be like his hero Castro so this really comes as no surprise he wants an alliance with the Russians.

Dictator Chavez will choke his country off from the rest of the world with these actions and turn Venezuala into a wasteland of poverty. When the oil stops flowing, the blood from his people will substitute it.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
There is no doubt that Putin wants to recreate his vision of Russian empire. It is also obvious that Chavez is nothing but a useful tool in Putin's tool chest. The question is, what will the U.S. response be to such an obviously provocative action. A "peaceful nuclear program" in Iran has got American panties in a bunch, one can imaging their response to another such program 6000 miles closer to home.

That being said, I imagine the U.S will respond with nothing more than words and bluster, and perhaps move a battle group or two. The situation in Georgia illustrated to the world that America cannot or will not back up her words. Expect to see Putin acting ever more aggressively until America steps up or falls down.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
The question is, what will the U.S. response be to such an obviously provocative action.

I think the question should really be what can US do in response to this action. I think that region will be cut off even more than it already has from the west and put under closer watch. Watch for US making more allies in the region and arming them.

But again, is Chavez stupid enough to attack the US? That remains to be seen and quite frankly, I don't think the US is too afraid of that happening.

The situation in Georgia illustrated to the world that America cannot or will not back up her words.

With regards to the Georgian situation. I think America did what it could without putting its own forces on the ground and meeting Russian troops head on. They supplied training and weapons to the Georgian army in an attempt to allow them to protect themselves and will continue to do so in the future. Not too mention a huge amount of money.

Expect to see Putin acting ever more aggressively until America steps up.

Agreed. Putin will continue to push the envelope as far as he can until he is forced to stop.

EDIT: question Do you think that Chavez is being truthful when he says in the article that he only wants to have nuclear reactors for peaceful purposes?

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cool Hand Luke
Do you think that Chavez is being truthful when he says in the article that he only wants to have nuclear reactors for peaceful purposes?

I am not naive enough, nor gullible enough to unquestioningly believe anything any politician says, especially one who talks as much excrement as Chavez. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was always his intent to make Venezuela South America's first nuclear power. That's the only way to get respect in the international community. See Pakistan and India for example, or N. Korea for that matter. Venezuela is an NPT signatory. He cannot develop weapons publicly. But once he has them, it doesn't matter, Chavez will be handled with the same kid gloves as Kim.

The USA won't risk war with Russia over Venezuela; but will they be able to convince Colombia to fight Chavez on their behalf?

top topics

join